Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: a CoTM suggestion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
1970 Neun vierzehn
I enjoy the CoTM on the home page, the competition, the voting, the nominees' presentations, and the various and sundry comments from members. But....
it seems that /6 GTs, resto-mod /6s and even stock /6s enjoy an advantage in the voting by virtue of their rarity, significance, diligent construction, and performance.
This past CoTM competition left an extremely nice, stock /4 as a runner up to a very attractive and muscular /6, though by only a handful of votes. Now I know that that beautiful green /4 can be nominated again, but as often as not, sometimes a second (or third) place finisher never gets a second chance.

Perhaps the CoTM competition could be structured so that nominees would fit into classes or categories for each month's voting. For instance, one month would be for stock or nearly stock /6s. The next month the nominees would be race/highly modified 914s. The following month the candidates would be stock or mostly OEM /4s. Another month could feature 914s w/alternative, non-Porsche engines. And yet another month the candidates would be flared, aggressive /6s and GT tribute cars.

The current CoTM of Erics' is an extremely well built and presented GT tribute that is drop dead gorgeous. Furthermore, our own Orthobizs' Parade Concours winner is certainly worthy of inclusion into the CoTM Hall of Fame, but, it would seem unfair to me to put those two cars before the membership to choose one over the other.

Am I alone in wishing to see some parity in the CoTM nominations?

Paul
BajaXJ92
I like the idea, but doubt it would ever work.

carr914
I hope you are alone in your thinking. A VERY Small percentage of Members Vote and this past Contest was a Very Close Vote between a very diverse section of our cars.

This type of suggestion is exactly why I Quit as COTM Host as everyone had a different opinion as how, why & what should be included. Just let it be and Enjoy it!
Elliot Cannon
Considering how few people actually participate in it, the COTM might be taken a little too seriously. How about once a month just have everyone post a picture of their car and what they are doing or have done to it? Post a picture of the same car every month if you like but make sure it's in a different location. At the beach, mountains, by a lake, at the track etc. I don't think we need a competition to showcase our cars. Maybe pick a time like the first of every month. I think there might be a lot of cars out there we haven't seen.
Cheers, Elliot
scotty b
Cars are nominated, cars are chosen cars are voted on. It's the democratic process and is what made out lovely country what it is. Nominate what you want, if others agree it is the best, they will choose it. confused24.gif

We have the SCROT award for the remainders smile.gif
timothy_nd28
I still like the idea of the COTM winner having a animated gif on the home page, like a burn out or something.
PanelBilly
I didn't vote last time around. I looked at the thread and thought all the cars were worthy of my vote. Just because the vote volume is down that it means we do t value the presentation of a group of excellent cars.

Keep up the good work, however you choose to run the program.
ThePaintedMan
I like COTM, but I don't see the big hubub about it. Everyone loves their own car, whether it gets votes from other people or not. If you win, pat yourself on the back for a job well done, but if you don't, remember: it's just an internet vote. The next time you drive around town and get a thumbs up, all of your worries will disappear! beerchug.gif
jgara962
It sounds too much like we are trying to make sure every kid gets a trophy for participating. You have winners and you have losers - that's life.

I personally prefer the look of GT style cars (like mine) and that's what I tend to vote on. I've seen pictures of some incredible looking stock 914's that I would vote for too if they were nominated. I say keep it simple and let the best car win.
Cap'n Krusty
Ahem ............... My vote is available for the right consideration. Think of it as real life ....................

The Cap'n
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 7 2013, 06:00 PM) *

Ahem ............... My vote is available for the right consideration. Think of it as real life ....................

The Cap'n

My vote, cancels your vote. av-943.gif
balljoint
And for those interested, we are now taking nominations for the next impeccably timed S.C.R.O.T. award. In the sandbox. Of course.

wink.gif

See you there.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(jgara962 @ Jul 7 2013, 07:07 PM) *

It sounds too much like we are trying to make sure every kid gets a trophy for participating. You have winners and you have losers - that's life.

agree.gif

When I ran COTM I did have a female owner only COTM run-off. That was fun.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.