Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 biturbo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chikenfajita
i was looking at some 914 turbo pics and wondered if anyone has put 2 turbos in a 914 before, or is it even possible to do so. 914 biturbo would be cool. driving.gif driving.gif
Jake Raby
I beat everyone to it this time!

"You can't Turbo a 914" LOL

HA!
Mueller
why stop at 2, why not 4?? laugh.gif

bi-turbo/twin-turbo...marketing and trying to impress people that don't know cars biggrin.gif

as long as it's turbocharged, the need to know "how many" turbos is not that big of deal unless you just have to brag........
Mike D.
There was a guy here in LaLa land several years back that had beautiful black 914/6 that was a custom made twin turbo. Maybe someone here knows him. I remember him from a PCA concours or fun run or something.
iamchappy
I believe that was Martin Schnieder of MSD systems that made a 3.3 twin turbo.
JmuRiz
Yep, the MSDS car does have 2 turbos, I have the issue of Excellence with the story on it, WOW. He said the horizontal fan makes more noise than the turbos spooling up, now that's cool!

BTW that should be the new picture to display the CAMP914 trunk-lid strut kit, haha cool.gif
jwalters
ohmy.gif wink.gif Garret makes a turbo the size of a 35mm film pack---good for a max of 400 cc's engine displacement---

From there they go up in size pretty quick---but I know of CB's having built a type 1 engine in the 2.3 liter range with bi-turbo and their fuel injection--

Was built for a beck porsche 550 replica--

475 hp!!!
Sammy
There is very little benefit form having more than one turbo.
Sure, if you have millions to spend on R&D you can design a system that will spool up quicker, but that's it.
Take a look at the turbo race cars, ONE BIG TURBO. That goes for road racing and drag racing.

Twin turbos are only goood to reduce lag a little, and even then it takes a great deal of engineering to pull it off. They will not make more power than a big single turbo. Plus you have a whole bunch more plumbing and wastegate controls etc to deal with.

Like Mikey said, the biggest benefit of building a twin turbo set up is so you can say, "You ony have one turbo, I have two so I win".
Do you want to go fast or be cool?

BTW there is an article in a recent Chebbie magazine that has 8 turbos hooked to a V8.
The builder admitted that he could have gotten much better power out of one or two turbos istead of 8 and he wouldn't have had to make 30 feet of piping, but he was after the cool factor.
To me it isn't cool at all, it is borderline poser.
Cool is functional, not visual.
JmuRiz
You mean this one:
http://www.lateral-g.org/sandlin/

Hmmm, a tubro for a 400cc engine...I might have to turbo my FZR or Bandit, hahaha. cool_shades.gif
Brando
If you want twin turbos...

Take the engine out of a totaled 993tt and do your next 6cyl conversion with that...
jwalters
QUOTE(Sammy @ Dec 3 2004, 07:53 AM)
There is very little benefit form having more than one turbo.
Sure, if you have millions to spend on R&D you can design a system that will spool up quicker, but that's it.
Take a look at the turbo race cars, ONE BIG TURBO. That goes for road racing and drag racing.

Twin turbos are only goood to reduce lag a little, and even then it takes a great deal of engineering to pull it off. They will not make more power than a big single turbo. Plus you have a whole bunch more plumbing and wastegate controls etc to deal with.

Like Mikey said, the biggest benefit of building a twin turbo set up is so you can say, "You ony have one turbo, I have two so I win".
Do you want to go fast or be cool?

BTW there is an article in a recent Chebbie magazine that has 8 turbos hooked to a V8.
The builder admitted that he could have gotten much better power out of one or two turbos istead of 8 and he wouldn't have had to make 30 feet of piping, but he was after the cool factor.
To me it isn't cool at all, it is borderline poser.
Cool is functional, not visual.

ohmy.gif Don't tell that to Porsche----Twin turbo has been the science for many years with them---they just might revoke your Porsche credo--- biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
jwalters
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Dec 3 2004, 09:02 AM)
You mean this one:
http://www.lateral-g.org/sandlin/

Hmmm, a tubro for a 400cc engine...I might have to turbo my FZR or Bandit, hahaha. cool_shades.gif

wink.gif Or that briggs and stratton go-kart you've been wanting biggrin.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif
iamchappy
I just purchased a new k27 7200 for my 914 to replace the old Rayjay unit,
I will be able to mount it up almost 6 inches higher than the Rayjay due to it's design, this will help with my oil scavenge. I am going to use the factory cam driven oil scavenge pump and lose the electric tilton .

Come Spring the 914 turbo carrera will feel like its been on steroids.
wacko.gif
Sammy
Porsche went to twin turbos, well because they can. I wish I was smarter than the Porsche engineers but that just isn't the case, not by a long shot. ohmy.gif

They have the R&D to design the system so that it works. But.... I stand by what I said, they are not getting more power out of twin turbos than they could get out of a single turbo. What they are getting is a system that has less lag and a lower threshold limit. As I said that is the advantage and it takes serious engineering to pull it off correctly. Just grabbing a couple of turbos that look right and bolting them on will probably not get the desired result when it comes to threshold and lag.
Porsche also went twin turbos on their six cylinder engine, not a 4.
In order to run a twin turbo setup on a type 4 you would have to run cylinders #1 and 3 to one turbo and cyls #2 and 4 to the other due to firing order, not an easy thing to do. Someone please correct me if i have those numbers wrong, it might be 1&4 and 2&3 but that doesn't sound right. wacko.gif

The big monster turbo, the 935 used a giant single turbo and made huge power. It also shot really neat flames clap56.gif
Britain Smith
Here is a twin turbo bug...type-1 motor.

IPB Image
Dave_Darling
Sammy has hit the nail right on the head! The 993TT and 996TT used two turbos because that lets them get full boost by something like 2000 RPM. Turbo lag in those cars is very very small indeed, or so I am told. Plus, the firing order of the 911 engine gives you three equally-spaced exhaust pulses on each side. The four-cylinder engines fire both left, then both right, then both left, then ...

At least some of the 956/962 racers used twin turbochargers, but I believe that was also for turbo lag. I think some variant of the 917/30 may have as well, but if so I bet that was simply because they couldn't find or couldn't conveniently package a turbo large enough to feed five liters at a high level of boost....

--DD
Maltese Falcon
The black car be mine , MSDS (not MSD) . It's been bi-turbo'd since 1983 and well worth the engineering effort over a single turbo (you're on the money Dave) ! The turbos I'm using turned out to be identical IHIs later used on a radical Fiat known as the Ferrari F40. The best thing was that the mid-engined 914 was already available...all I had to do was engineer the six cyl powerplant / twin system and make it hook up to the ground. Believe me, If Porsche offered anything in a MID with a power to weight of a Ninja...they would have record sales years !
The rear trunk struts are also MSDS parts, but thru the years many reverse- engineers have hacked our parts, including our motor mounts, sheet metal kits (6 cyl), headers and conversion wiring diags. Welcome to free enterprise sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.