Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Finished installing Martin's 916 Trans kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RON S.
I've recently finished my transmission side shift swap out from my previous Vellios unit to Martin Bott's 916 kit.

Happy to say that I think I have all the bugs worked out, and am happily motoring on. driving.gif

I've got about 50 or so miles on the unit now, and feel comfortable sharing my thoughts between the 2 units, and the quality of the current product which I have received.

on the Plus side.
1. Martin's kit is a very good quality unit, and he's gone to great lengths to ensure, at least for me, my customer satisfaction. The castings, and the machining are top of the shelf. Everything fit like it was supposed to. He's invested a lot of time and energy into this kit, and it really shows.

2. Very good vendor to work with during the waiting phase. He's a long way away, and sending a pile of money to someone you'll probably never meet in person can be a nail biter, but he's very in tune to these concerns, and was always accessible and very accommodating to allay one's nervousness.

3. With the kit installed, and adjusted, the shift quality is 100% improved over the Vellios unit. piratenanner.gif I'll say now, I have a JWest shifter, Apex joints on a straight shift rod, and this combo combined w/the 916 kit, make for short, direct gear engagement. So far, knock on wood, each and every time. I feel I can now power shift with confidence.

4. I now have a side shift kit on my 915 transmission that has FACTORY Part#'s on it, so I feel I've increased the resale value of the car relative to one day selling it.

On the down side..
1. Cost... With the Euro the way it is, the kit is now pretty pricey, but that is not Martin's fault nor should reflect on him. He works for a dollar just like we do. it's just to bad his dollar costs us $1.30.

2. No instructions included. What you get is a box of parts. If you don't know your way around a 915 box, you'll have to take it to someone who does. There was machining I needed done on mine, and some minor fitment of the shift shaft support, but nothing major.

Random Findings during the change out.

1. You'll need to thoroughly explain to Martin what you have for a 915 box so he can properly send you the correct parts for your conversion. IE: whether you have a mag case or an aluminum one. any mods you may have previously done to your trans. Billet retainer, Spray bar ETC... As I have found out, little things make a difference in the process going smoothly, or having some bumps in the road. He's designed the kits as if they were being installed, in completely stock Mechanical speedo(Mag Case), or Electric speedo (Aluminum Case) applications.

2. The support hole for the idler shaft in the nose cone needs to be chamfered. it'll come with sharp edges that'll tear the o-ring the first time you try to fit it. Chamfer that hole.

3. There is a set screw that locks down the shift lever to the shift shaft, inside the shift housing that bolts to the bottom of the transmission. LOCTITE this set screw before your final assembly. Failure to do so will result in the screw vibration loose. The shift quality will quickly begin to deteriorate until the internal shift lever falls of the shift shaft. When that happens, you'll have 0 gears, and a floppy shifter going nowhere. Ask me how I know.. sad.gif

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase and the process. beerchug.gif I should have bought it when he first put it on the market. But, I'm glad I finally got it behind me now.
I'm copying this post in the vendor section

here's a few pics of the completion.
Congrats, looks pretty and functional!
Steve
Congratulations Ron!! Looks great!! I am still doing some rustoration in the engine compartment, so mine is taking longer than i hoped for.

Curious where did you find the plug for the reverse light switch? I am still trying to source one.
RON S.
QUOTE(Steve @ Jul 7 2013, 08:49 PM) *

Congratulations Ron!! Looks great!! I am still doing some rustoration in the engine compartment, so mine is taking longer than i hoped for.

Curious where did you find the plug for the reverse light switch? I am still trying to source one.

Steve,
the backup light switch is the one Martin supplied with the kit. it mates to a 2 wire Bosch connector.
Steve
Thanks Ron!! Mine also came with the switch, I just need to find the two wire Bosch connector. I will bring it with me to flaps and try to find one.
echocanyons
Hi Ron,
Nice job with the 916 kit.
Can you detail your clutch release solution? It looks like you have a hydraulic clutch.
I am wondering mostly about cable routing.
Thanks
Steve
I would try sending Ron a PM. I also have the same 916 kit. I am using all stock 915 clutch cable parts. To make the clutch cable work in a 914, I bought Patrick Motorsports clutch cable and clutch cable adapter. His cable connects to the pedals and firewall the same as a stock 914-4. I am running an 86 915 trans, so I also switched out the pedals to 911 pedals that have the clutch return spring.
echocanyons
Thanks Steve.
Is the only modification that you have made is the reorientation of the cable?
How has your experience been?
It looks like the Patrick kit retains the omega spring and stock release mechanism.
Steve
Yep!! Just the orientation of the cable with PMS's cable and pully adapter.
Mine is all stock including the omega spring. My shift rod is the same as rons, except I'm using Tangerine racings shift coupler for adjustments.
Over all I am happy with it. It's really nice having 5 gears that match my motor.
It's also nice not having to worry about breaking first gear. Electric speedometer is also nice with easy to use working odometer.
Down side
-harder to shift

I am also having problems occasionally shifting from 2nd to 3rd. When this happens I let the Rennshift pop back to center, move the shifter to the left, let go and try again. I ran out of money otherwise I would take it back to the shop. Could be an adjustment, slider or synchro.
I tried a stock 915 shifter and had the same problem, so I know it's not the shifter.
I also installed the tallest 5th gear which is a 29:21. 80mph at 3k rpms.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.