Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: wow, the D-jet parts can really start to add up :(
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
So I was thinking that I wanted to get my /4 running in tip-top shape and figured I'd head on over to HPH in the afternoon and pick up some new parts such as :

a new tps, new trigger points, a new air temp sensor and a new cht sensor

did a quick price check @ Pelican to get a general idea on the prices...

ouch

close to $300 (if the air temp sensor can be bought new, NLA according to Pelican, but you know how that goes sometimes)
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 2 2004, 11:31 PM)
a new tps, new trigger points, a new air temp sensor and a new cht sensor

btw. i gave brad your $50, i figured you would stop by HPH sooner or later. biggrin.gif

i still have the MPS for that engine.
just FYI, the D-Jet was running *FLAWLESS* when the engine was removed.
there shouldn't be any need for new items ...

later,
Andy
mightyohm
The trigger points especially are a huge ripoff!
McMark
That's why Dave's KitCarlson setup is going to sell so well once it's in production. biggrin.gif Buying replacement parts for old crap bugs me. If you needed all that and a new MPS it'd be crazy. So nice to have an all new system.
Mark Henry
agree.gif

Once you have to replace the MPS you may as well get aftermarket PEFI.
pbanders
The day that you can buy a fully tuned, turn-key, bolt-on, affordable modern FI system that works on my 2.0L, I'll be the first in line to buy it. Until then, it's still cheaper to maintain the existing D-Jetronic system.
Mueller
Andy,

car fires right up, it just has a slight misfire at idle and while driving along, more than likely just needs a tune up....I don't think any of the components are "bad", I was just thinking of making the system as top notch as I can

Brad....once again, awesome web site you have, I spent more than an hour last night reading information about the fuel injection that you put together....
Sammy
Ahhh, the shotgun tune up aproach, BTDT wink.gif
Bleyseng
Mueller, if it ain't broke you will break it fixin it. Just run the damn thing!

Geoff
dmenche914
Mike; this the 1.8 motor running now????

Congragulations!!!

Dave
Mueller
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Dec 4 2004, 10:34 AM)
Mike; this the 1.8 motor running now????

Congragulations!!!

Dave

Hey Dave....it's a "different" 1.8 smile.gif

the one i picked up from you was running with the Megasquirt, but I dropped the motor to repair an oil leak and do some other stuff...it has a leak at one of the oil gallery plugs at the bellhousing end sad.gif
dmenche914
oh, bummer, sorry about that.
on the 1.8 D-jest, seems to me that since it controls fuel fine tuning by the vacuum, the larger displacement engine would tend to run leaner than the 1.7. maybe a fuel pressure adjustment , different head temp sensor (or resister??) can help richen the mixture back to optimal. I think the pressure sensor could be tweeked, but i heard it is very very tricky, easy to mess them up.

out of the box, i would assume the 1.8 equiped with a 1.7 D-jet might run 1/18th or about 5 % leaner just based on the displacement gain. it may not be all that bad, as the vacuum signal is just part of the total control of fuel, but I think displacment might make a difference in mixture, and you will need to compensate.

The heads, valves and cam effect the vacuum signal the
most, and this is where a Pressure Sensor adjustment might be required, but it should be done on an exhaust gas anaylzer on your engine by someone who understands them. I have never had sucsess just tweeking them without test equipment.

I do not know how much different the set up you have verses stock effects the vacuum signal, maybe it is not problem, just thowing more stuff out too mess with the brain.

dave
SirAndy
QUOTE(dmenche914 @ Dec 4 2004, 10:31 AM)
out of the box, i would assume the 1.8 equiped with a 1.7 D-jet might run 1/18th or about 5 % leaner just based on the displacement gain.

that's why he should run the MPS that came with the motor ... wink.gif
hey mueller, wanna pick it up or what?

the original MPS was modified to compensate, the engine was running just a tad on the rich side ...

cool.gif Andy
Mueller
Andy, what time do you get up in the morning? I'd rather pick it up Sunday morning, no traffic smile.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 4 2004, 02:15 PM)
I'd rather pick it up Sunday morning, no traffic smile.gif

on a sunday? hum. 11 - noon-ish ...

biggrin.gif Andy
Mueller
I'll be calling you at about that time...

it ran rough at Marks and once I started it a few days ago, but I just figured it was cold....I've let it warm up (or tried to when it can run longer than a few minutes without dying)

....I have not touched it except to put a timing light on it..the rpm keeps going up and down while at idle (not too much, but enough to be annoying), it's also totally sluggish when I hit the gas

totally sucks...picking up the MPS is going to kill at least 2 ours out of my day headbang.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Mueller @ Dec 4 2004, 08:24 PM)
it's also totally sluggish when I hit the gas

make sure none of the hoses came off or any of the wires is loose or something like that.
also, make sure the breather hose from the oil-filler goes to the *top* of the air-cleaner and not to the TB ...

wink.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.