Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pic's Its 2D 4Pass SunRoof front trunk
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DJsRepS
I was gathering parts for my work in the 914 and had to stop to take some pic's. Only had a cheap olympis voice recorder/camera with me. Pic's are a fixed focus and 640x480 res. The car looks like the little clown car at the circus where all of 10 clown's pile out of it. Can anyone guess the age of this car?? I did not have time to find the owner.
DJsRepS
another pic
DJsRepS
And the last one has some of my 914 with it.
Mark Henry
A Fiat 500...mid sixties.

I've seen one with a beetle engine in it.
crash914
Yea, I saw a lot of these over in France the other day.....it made the new MiNi look HUGE!!

also saw a 4 dr. Smart car....my wife likes them....
Gustl
actually its a Fiat 500 L - pretty rare these days
it's the Italian contra to the VW Beetle
just a few weeks ago the Italien canged their law (pollution) to keep these cars on the road!!

it was built from 1968 - 72 (only the L - btw. L stands for Luxus)
the complete 500 series was built from 1957 - 75

they all had 0.5 liter engines with 13, 15 or 18 PS
there was even a "Sport"-Version with 20 PS laugh.gif

Gustl
Gustl
QUOTE(Gustl B @ Dec 3 2004, 01:48 PM)
the complete 500 series was built from 1957 - 75

uups ... now I've to correct myself

all the little Fiat 500 with a body like the pics above were built from 1957-75

but this was the second series
the first series was the famous 500 Topolino, which was built from 1936-1955 in various body versions

there are two of'em:
mattillac
the one on the right needs chrome steelies and a blower
biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(mattillac @ Dec 3 2004, 09:04 AM)
biggrin.gif

as sick as that may be....

i was thinking a blower too beerchug.gif
mudfoot76
I saw some vintage races at Zandvoort in the summer of '01, and one of the sessions featured Abarth-tuned FIAT 500s. I had never seen one before, and was totally amazed by their performance. It is my understanding that these were all 2 cyl engines, air cooled. The race versions supposedly used the same basic block, but were super tuned to make (relatively) high HP...

It sparked my interest in the vintage race scene.
McMark
One of the colleges I went to (there were three) had an old Goggomobil that some guy had willed to the school. I really really really wanted to get it and put a Type IV in it and bust around town in it. I love these micro-cars.
Gustl
my local oldtimer club organized a hillclimb event here in Austria since 1994
you won't believe what strange vehicles started there

this one is called "Libelle", it's from 1954 (made in Austria)
btw - I'm the one in the background, sitting in front of the computer ...
Gustl
these two cars are:

1. FMR-Messerschmidt TG 500 - from 1960
2. Renault 4CV - from 1960
Type 4
I am a former Glas owner I had 2 1700 gt and 2 1300 gts. The are cool cars sorry I sold them.
GWN7
QUOTE(mattillac @ Dec 3 2004, 08:04 AM)
biggrin.gif

And some flames biggrin.gif

beerchug.gif
IronHillRestorations
As sick as this sounds, I think this genre of cars is pretty damn cool. Howbout some pics of an Issetta (sp?).

Very unique engineering compared to the Detroit mentality of the same period. Of course you wounldn't want to (pun intended) run into a Detroit iron of the same vintage.

Cool cars except for the crashworthyness. Too damn many bad drivers on the road.
Gustl
IPB Image

IPB Image
GWN7
I still like this one...
Gustl
there were lots of "strange cars" built in Germany

really freaky is the "Kleinschnittger F125" (built in the 50ies)
1/8 liter 1 cyl 2stroke aircooled engine
6 HP - max. speed 35 miles
no reverse gear

IPB Image

another one is the "Hanomag 2/10" (built in the 20ies)
1/2 liter 1 cyl 4stroke engine
10 HP - max. speed 38 miles

IPB Image
Lou W
QUOTE (mattillac @ Dec 3 2004, 09:04 AM)

as sick as that may be....

i was thinking a blower too  
I have a very good friend who had a 1965 Fiat 500 back in the mid 70's, he built a chassis with a small block chevy, a corvette independant rear end and a roll cage and put in his, he did a pretty nice job with it. You had to sit almost to the back of the car. It didn't last too long, high center of gravity, short wheel base, out doing burnouts in it and it got a little squirrely and it went sideways and flipped it over. but it sure was fun. cool.gif
bondo
Here's a car I used to have. It's a Citicar, made in Florida. I am still the Nedra record holder for the 1/8 mile drag race in a Modified Production 49-72 volt electric car smile.gif

IPB Image
dmenche914
the little Fiat 500 you posted is the same 500 car I saw all over Italy back when I was there in about 1978. There were huge numbers of them in Rome. Although polluting by todays standards, they sure seem like a a sensible around town car that must have gotten great milage with 500cc's. They were even used on the highways, loaded with people. I recall all cars had a state issued metal tag maybe five inches wide on the rear bumber with a number that indicated the maximum legal speed for that type of car in km/hr! The fiat 500's had a fairly low maximumm allowed speed, something like 70 or 80 km/hr if I recall right. Large preformance sedans had pretty high numbers, but the bulk of the cars seemed to be small ones.

The Fiats 500's I was told by the locals, was the most loved car of the Italian's. The Italian "peoples car" That may or may not be true, but certainly they were the most common car in Rome.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.