Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refinishing hubs and stubs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Qarl
Okay... I'm going to refinish/restore a set of early 911 hubs and stub axles. The set I have is in very good condition, the splines and studs are all great. There is some slight surface rust on the cast metal part of the stub axle. I figure I'm going soak the part in marine clean first, then tape up the splines and bead blast the whole stub axle.

Then what? How should I protect the freshly blasted metal. I know the splines of the hub will be protected with grease...

How did they come new from the factory?

Thanks,
Mueller
Por-15 works nice on those parts. I'm not too sure if the factory parts had been powdercoated or if they used a thick paint.
Gint
I did the same thing to the last car I had. I powder coated after blasting.
Qarl
What about cosmoline?

Could the factory parts have been coated with that?
Lawrence
Yeah, Mike... but you do your own powdercoating in your garage! You'd powdercoat EVERYTHING if you could...

Jealous, of course,
Rusty
Gint
biggrin.gif
campbellcj
You wouldn't believe how nasty the arms and stubs on my were, after only 4 years and <10K miles since they had been "restored" by the PO. It looked like everything had been put together with no paint or lube; the bushings were bone dry. Much mo' better now.
Qarl
Chris:

What did you do to your hubs to fix things?
Bleyseng
cosmoline is used was used to preserve parts as its a coating. Washes off with solvent as its a temporary coating. Friend of mine had a after school job at the VW/Porsche Dealer where he washed the cosmoline off the VW and Porsches when they arrived from the shipper. Great fun that job was.
So yeah, if the parts were new and off the shelf they would have been coated in cosmoline.
Geoff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.