Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: the famous 914 pedal assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
lbreen
Hi, The 914,2.0 that I rescued from being outside for about three years, has improved slowly. Working on the pedal assembly is more frustrating than working on replacing the fuel pump. Man I don't know, it's about the same.Anyway,I bought a pedal assembly bushing kit, and I see it didn't contain a new spring for the brake pedal.I have already taken the whole assembly out , cleaned ti ,sanded it and put it back together with silicone grease.I wonder if the bushing kit will help? Seems like rain comes in right over the assembly.Luckily it is inside now thanks ,lbreen
IronHillRestorations
You say to took it apart and cleaned everything, did you replace the bushings or re-use the old plastic ones? The problem with the plastic bushings is usually brake fluid contamination. The plastic bushings swell when they get saturated with brake fluid, making them useless.

I started replacing the two springs (when rebuilding) in the pedal cluster about six years ago, after going through the rebuild/teardown thing a couple times. Now it's replace everything. The springs will run about $25, I think, but after 30 years haven't they done their time???

Just an FYI, use the factory pins, not the ones that come with the bushing kits, and NEVER re-use the pins, that will come back to haunt. "I keep on adjusting my clutch and nothing happens" usually means a broken clutch tube or a broken pin in the pedal cluster.
lbreen
Thanks Perry, I did reuse the plastic bushings,after I cleaned sanded and siliconed them .I think you are right about not reusing the springs and of course the bushings. I will try to find new springs. Maybe at a dealer, or at a great forum like this one. Sure don't want to take apart the assembly without all the new parts I can find.I understamd you said use new , or old stock pins.Another part I will look for .Any sources you can come up with would be great,and probably too much to ask.I have been suprised to find as many parts as I have . Yes, even eBay. The first day I was able to drive this great little car it made the hours of work worth it, thanks lb
jim912928
Call GPR for parts. They sell a pedal cluster bushing kit and can also get you the springs...ask for Dave (914 nut). You can get the info for phone and stuff from their website www.gprparts.com.

Pelican Parts also sells this stuff...see them at www.pelicanparts.com
Rhodes71/914
Check out pelicans tech article on pedal cluster rebuild. For me that hardest part was getting that roll pin out. New bushings and new springs it works great.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.