Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got a new Windshield today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
turk22
So I got my new windshield installed today. Mel's Auto Glass in Cincinnati did the work, and I'm VERY happy with the job.

True story, my installer was Steve Boehner (Speaker of the House, John Boehner's brother). Great guy, used all the parts from the AA Windshield kit I purchased, including the butyl strip.

We were both pleased with how the non original windshield came out, and the channel cleaned up. No rust at all! piratenanner.gif

The glass went back in, we used the rubber setting blocks, replaced the trim clips with new, trim went back on perfectly... really a great job. $304 dollars + my AA install kit. I also purchased the Windshield to dash seal from Mikey914, and that went it without any issues as well.

Pictures!:
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Drums66
.....Without using a microscope....well done!! shades.gif (no self liability)
bye1.gif popcorn[1].gif
wes
Looks good, who did you get the glass from?
casey944
QUOTE(wes @ Jul 8 2013, 05:40 PM) *

Looks good, who did you get the glass from?

was thinking the same thing.
turk22
Mel's Auto Glass supplied the windshield. Not sure where they get them from. You can see the maker specific info in the last picture.

I had to call several local Windshield shops before I could find someone to take the job, but these guys came thru at a reasonable price. The guy did a great job getting the old windshield out, without any damage to the interior.

The Windshield has a tinted stripe on the top, which is not original.
pete000
Good to know you can still source a new glass for the old 914 ! cheer.gif
ConeDodger
Tinted windshields were available, and original...
turk22
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 8 2013, 10:31 PM) *

I knew that you could get tinted windshields, but this one has a darker blue strip at the top of the windshield, which I thought was not something original.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(turk22 @ Jul 9 2013, 01:53 PM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jul 8 2013, 10:31 PM) *

I knew that you could get tinted windshields, but this one has a darker blue strip at the top of the windshield, which I thought was not something original.

If it isn't a Sigla it isn't original. Too hard to tell from the pictures if it would match the Sigla tint.

I'm glad you're happy with the windshield and price but I don't want others to be discouraged from trying this themselves. It is a rather easy one or two person job that doesn't require special tools. Clips, spacers, butyl tape, window primer to help the butyl bond to the window... You should also plan to replace the vinyl forward of the dash as it should be done with the window out. Easy-peasy... biggrin.gif
turk22
yep, I agree, after watching it done, it really wasn't to bad. However the windshield removal really damaged the edges of my already cracked windshield. The previous install was a cobb job and was definitely not a normal standard install.

I guess there are other methods of removal that are not as destructive, but the installation is pretty straightforward, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself next time...guess that's always the case, after you see it done....
bigkensteele
QUOTE(turk22 @ Jul 9 2013, 04:00 PM) *

yep, I agree, after watching it done, it really wasn't to bad. However the windshield removal really damaged the edges of my already cracked windshield. The previous install was a cobb job and was definitely not a normal standard install.

I guess there are other methods of removal that are not as destructive, but the installation is pretty straightforward, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it myself next time...guess that's always the case, after you see it done....

Yes, but for $304 including the glass, does it make much sense to do it yourself when you can have the Speaker of the House's brother do it for you with a guarantee? I think not.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(turk22 @ Jul 9 2013, 04:00 PM) *

If the old window is cracked, why worry about its removal? I remember replacing the window in my Bug back in high school. Boss told me to get inside while he stood outside. When he told me to put both feet on the windshield and push I thought blink.gif

The only thing you care about on the removal is that it doesn't damage anything you want to keep. Like nice paint and fingers.

$300 is about half the cost of a Rennshifter. It would buy a couple of 16X7 Fuchs in need of restoration. I could go on but I think you get my point. We have rules against discussing what I think about sleazy politicians so I won't broach that... dry.gif
porsche_dreamer
Mel's is off Reading rd correct?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.