Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Measurements for 911 Flag Mirrors
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim912928
Well, I finally got around to taking some measurements. I did not take the mirrors off, but rather took measurements from 3 points on each door to the base of the rubber gasket. On this first picture...the key to the alignment is the yellow line...that line when looking at the car from the front should be vertical on both sides!

Also, for strength, you must use the 911 backing plate. I riveted mine on after having the holes cut in.

Drivers side:
jim912928
Passenger side:
Brando
If you were able to mount the 911 "Flag" mirrors, why not go with the 968 "teardrop" mirrors?
Aaron Cox
its a german car....measurements MUST be in metric!!! happy11.gif
jim912928
Brando,

I like the angular look of the flags...to me it matches the angular look of the car.
Carlitos Way
I love those flag mirrors... someday...
aylanco
When the Flag mirrors are added, are they manually adjusted or power as on my 911?

They look great on the 914!!
jim912928
You can do whatever you want on the power/vs manual. Mine are power but I haven't wired them up yet....
SteveSr
I have always LOVED those mirrors Jim, hmm....maybe if I asked Santa....... idea.gif ........

SteveSr
Brando
those do look very sexy.
markb
Fantastic! Now I can get ready to put mine on. smilie_pokal.gif pray.gif mueba.gif clap56.gif
jim_hoyland
I have a line on a new pair that are reasonably priced; did you have to modify the base to fit ? Should the mirrors come with the back up plates ?

Where do you obtain the wiring harness and switches ?

Thanks for the pictures, very helpful.

Jim
tommy914
Jim,
Why is the mounting different on each side?
Mueller
QUOTE(tommy914 @ Dec 4 2004, 03:51 PM)
Jim,
Why is the mounting different on each side?

so that both are fully functional smile.gif

BTDT, got the "extra" holes to prove it, hahahaha
neo914-6
I like the angular look of the flags...to me it matches the angular look of the car.

agree.gif
Plus they go with Chalon 911 80's styling biggrin.gif
Felix
jim912928
Ok...some answers:

Jim_hoyland: No I didn't have to modify the base, and typically when you buy used 911 mirrors the backing plates are kept by the owner for the replacement mirrors. I got mine new for like 7 or 8 bucks apiece. The wiring harness came with my used ones and I had switches from a 911 project I did a few years ago.

Tommy: they are in different positions for a few reasons....the passenger side is back more so they can be used by the driver...and the curve of the base is alittle different so it sits alittle different on the door.
Mueller
thanks for the pics Jim.....my '91 911 has those mirrors, I keep thinking of putting on the newer rounder style on it......perfect timing, my 914 needs mirrors smile.gif
Dr Evil
I wish to nominate this thread for classic status. Purely technical, well illustrated, and great explanation smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
QUOTE (Dr Evil @ Jun 21 2005, 07:49 AM)
I wish to nominate this thread for classic status. Purely technical, well illustrated, and great explanation smilie_pokal.gif

agree.gif I looked for it once before and got tired of finding nothing. headbang.gif
markb
Has anybody thought of mounting them farther forward on the door. To look thru the windwing instead of the regular window? idea.gif
skline
Mine are further forward. They seem to work just fine with my seat all the way back I can see out both with no problem. I mounted them that way because the passenger side door already had one mounted so I just mounted the drivers side in the same approximate location so it would match.
skline
Here is the side I mounted up.
scotty b
I'm assuming 944 mirrors will have to be reshaped? I have 3 sets uv dem wif nutin to do wiff em confused24.gif
Dr Evil
I was told that you can buy the bottom half of the mirror from a 911 for like $25. Then you can use them. I also heard that GPR was a good place to check.
mack914
PartsHeaven for all your 911 flag mirror to 914 conversions. I will have a full set of flag mirrors with all the hardware on E-bay in a week or two.
ThinAir
It would be really great if someone who has done this would be willing to trace their doors so that we'd have a same-size template of exactly where the holes are in relationship to the front curve of the door and the window guide as well as the size of the holes. I realize that some have mounted them further forward than others, particularly on the passenger side, but it would still be a very helpful guide that could be adjusted for front-to-back preference. Since the later "round style" 911 mirrors use the same holes, this would help a lot of club members who are interested in mirror upgrades.

P.S. - does anyone have the part numbers or some other way to know if you have 911 or 944 mirrors?
Harpo
I have my mirrors, gaskets and reinforcement pieces but I'm very anxious about cutting my sheet metal. A template or some exact hole positions would be great. I had thought about using the feinforcement as a template but it is slightly larger than the mirror base.

DAvid
jim_hoyland
I found a 911 that had the mirrors removed and copied the holes with a pencil/paper. The trick is to get the mirror mounted so the top is pretty level. Several I've seen were mounted a little too low and the mirrors look like they are drooping.

The pass side has to be mounted further forward than the driver side too. And, there is a thread done by a member showing the measurements he used. I'll see if I saved it and post if found

Good luck, it's a great improvement visually
jim_hoyland
Here's the pics; My pass mirror is more forward; test the position while you are sitting in the drivers seat---you'l see what I mean.
ahycaramba
Hello friends,
To bring life back to this old topic... My question to you, if using the 993 mirror do you still use 911 & 944 flag mirror template to mount the 993 aero mirrors? idea.gif

Thanks
Al
Steve
Lessons learned. Beware of right hand drive 911 flag mirrors. There offset is totally different and you have to mount them way forward to see out of them. The U.S. spec 911 mirrors match the measurements mentioned in this thread.
Here's the correct part numbers.
911.731.023.03 Drivers side
911.731.026.03 Passenger side
Note the only difference between the UK/Japan right hand drive 911 mirrors is the base. The mirror housing and arm is the same for left side and right side as well as for left hand drive and right hand drive 911's.
Steve
QUOTE(ahycaramba @ Aug 20 2016, 02:35 PM) *

Hello friends,
To bring life back to this old topic... My question to you, if using the 993 mirror do you still use 911 & 944 flag mirror template to mount the 993 aero mirrors? idea.gif

Thanks
Al

I just switched from Aero mirrors to flag mirrors. The Aero mirrors looks good from certain angles, but look awkward from other angles, due to the squareness of the car. The Aero mirrors can use these same measurements, but note the Aero mirrors are more forgiving looks wise since they are not square. Flag mirrors have to be mounted flat and perfect or they look like crap. An Aero mirror can be angled up or slightly down and still look good.
ThinAir
It's fun to read through an old thread like this after all this time. I'd forgotten that I had posted on it.

I tried to put these mirrors on my 72, but was not successful in figuring out where to put the holes. I'd still appreciate it if someone who has a successful installation would be willing to create a template for the holes. Having attempted this, I would never again cut holes based only upon the measurements provided.
jim_hoyland
Steve and I compared pass side mirror bases this am. It turned out my pass side base is a Right-hand drive spec the angle is a little off, but i’ve Been able to see ok; the glass is maxed inward though. I rely more on a wink mirror for traffic in the right-rear
The copper motor is mine, silver ( correct base ) is Steves
jim_hoyland
BTW: I need a pass side base !
PN# 911.731.026.03
The number is stamped on the base. If you want to sell, PM me
larryM
911 right flag mirrors are set further back to avoid the "vent wing post" blocking the view

you will want this part

Click to view attachment
larryM
QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ Jun 22 2005, 09:15 PM) *

It would be really great if someone who has done this would be willing to trace their doors so that we'd have a same-size template

911 SC

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
larryM
LONG TIME AGO

Vitaloni Baby Turbos mounted to oem 914 holes

- very good rear view vs oem & no re-drilling
jim_hoyland
In searching for an exact replacement for the passenger side door, I got this pic and explanation. I'm not certain the angle is correct, but I'm going to wait for the original number shown above by Steve and I

Vendor: "this is an original one from back in the 80s before it was superseded to that part number you're asking about but this was used on 77 930 and 911 all the way up until the later 80s. For sure it's a right-hand US mirror base"
larryM
this is kind'a interesting - 2 years ago i had 3 of these, power with switch from an SC, very good condition

nobody wanted 'em - finally sold last yr on Craigs locally for a paltry $100 all 3

- i still have the elusive 911 right side inner backing piece & template which i originally got from EASY - pic above
Steve
QUOTE(larryM @ Aug 29 2018, 01:06 PM) *

this is kind'a interesting - 2 years ago i had 3 of these, power with switch from an SC, very good condition

nobody wanted 'em - neither on pelican or here - multiple FS tries

finally sold last yr on Craigs locally for a paltry $100 all 3

- i still have the elusive 911 right side inner backing piece & template which i originally got from EASY along with a R mirror for my '75 targa - but i sold the car B4 it got installed

Aero mirrors are an easy swap out on a 911 and they look way better. So not much of a market for flag mirrors.
jim912928
Maybe a stupid thought...but has anybody tried bonding the side glass mounted mirrors off a boxter/911?
jim_hoyland
....bond to what ? An aero mirror base or flag mirror base ?
jim912928
To the glass in the same position as the boxters
porsche914_73
QUOTE(jim912928 @ Sep 27 2018, 09:56 PM) *

To the glass in the same position as the boxters

Old thread but, thinking about it as well. I'm doing an M96 swap on my 914. Will have boxster brakes, 4 x front 17' 2008 double spoke wheels, why not the mirrors as well?! My only criticism of this is that the tear drop shape doesn't really go with the body lines.

@jim912928 , Did you ever do it? Pictures maybe?
Carl La Fong
Mounting flag mirrors on the 914 requires great care in making sure they are parallel to the ground. One or two degrees up or down is very noticeable and looks... not great. Be careful taking on this project. It took me a week before I started drilling holes in the doors. biggrin.gif
jim912928
I have installed flag mirrors....I have wondered if anybody did a glass mount boxster mirrors though...intriguing thought.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.