Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacement hood struts?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
East coaster
Does anyone have specs or part #s for replacement gas struts for the front hood? This would be to replace worn gas struts that were part of a kit (camp914, I think?).

Mine have gotten too week to hold the hood up any longer. I tried contacting camp914 through his website with no response, so I'm looking for other options.
GeorgeRud
You might also check with McMaster-Carr as they have a large number of struts on their website.

I've also seen quite a selection at our local auto parts store. You could take one in and match it up.
Spoke
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jul 10 2013, 08:14 AM) *

You might also check with McMaster-Carr as they have a large number of struts on their website.

I've also seen quite a selection at our local auto parts store. You could take one in and match it up.

I tried to match up my worn strut at my FLAPS but the problem was there were several similar units with differing pressures.

The one I had did not have any markings on it at all so I couldn't get a direct replacement and didn't want to start experimenting.
76-914
Looks like Amazon and ebay sell both these brands although I did not look up these exact part numbers. The rear are marked as thus: 60lb C16-08260 SUSPA Grand Rapids, MI....................The fronts are made by Stabilus in Mexico and with these numbers 85631H 0538N 272/03 A2 G414002. I'm sure one is the model #, one a date code or plant code?? Kent
Spoke
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 10 2013, 09:23 AM) *

Looks like Amazon and ebay sell both these brands although I did not look up these exact part numbers. The rear are marked as thus: 60lb C16-08260 SUSPA Grand Rapids, MI....................The fronts are made by Stabilus in Mexico and with these numbers 85631H 0538N 272/03 A2 G414002. I'm sure one is the model #, one a date code or plant code?? Kent

I emailed a resaler with that p/n and they didn't have it in their system. He did confirm the pressure was 120LB.

He can give a valid p/n given the extended and compressed lengths.

Can someone give me the extended and compressed lengths? I'm not by my 914 right now.

From Steve @ autogasspringstore:

Thanks for the inquiry.

I have checked my cross reference listings and that number is not listed. That isn't unusual, it seems that often numbers have been replaced or deleted. However, that's not a big problem as I can usually find the correct replacement gas spring with some information.

The good news is that the pressure rating is listed, the 0538N number is a Newton pressure rating. That equates to 120 lbs. pressure.

I will need for you to give me the extended length, the compressed length, and the end type fittings. The compressed length is generally not critical. For end types you can go to the Universal page on my website http://autogasspringsstore.com/ to see the various styles. Type A is the most common.... 10mm nylon ball socket.

Once the specifications are settled on (prior paragraph).... you just go to the Universal page on my website http:autogasspringsstore.com scroll down to the selection area and enter the info in the drop downs.... then click on Submit... this will lead you to the replacement gas spring. Then go through the purchase process.

Since I carry replacements for Suspa, Lift-O-Mat, StrongArm, etc... developing and maintaining accurate cross reference tables for all of them (there are many) would be tough if not impossible... so I've chosen to go with specifications which, of course, apply to all brands.

I hope this helps.

Thanks again for the note.
Steve
http://autogasspringsstore.com/

East coaster
Great info......Thanks!

With the pressure rating I should be able to get them at McMaster-Carr.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.