Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Static Timing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
malcolm2
I need to turn the engine by hand to verify my static timing. Does anyone have a way to do that with no axles, wheels etc...with the engine and transmission in the car? New P/C and rings, valves and springs so everything is pretty tight.

Thanks
r_towle
two bolts in one transmission flange, then slip a bar between the bolts and lay it at an angle on the ground to hold that flange still.

Two bolts in the other flange, then use that flange with the car in 4th or 5th gear turning it backwards, that will turn the motor forwards.

DO NOT use the fan hub bolt...it could easily break off.

rich
malcolm2
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 10 2013, 09:28 AM) *

two bolts in one transmission flange, then slip a bar between the bolts and lay it at an angle on the ground to hold that flange still.

Two bolts in the other flange, then use that flange with the car in 4th or 5th gear turning it backwards, that will turn the motor forwards.

rich

I was leaning in that direction. Someone mentioned the alternator nut. I lightly tried it and it only tightened the nut.
nathansnathan
On a bus engine the alternator nut is the way it's done. You may have to pull up on the belt against the fan shroud to overcome compression making it want to slip. It's a 22mm.
michael7810
A box end wrench on the alternator works great
malcolm2
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 10 2013, 09:28 AM) *

rich

This works but you said to turn the flange backwards and the engine goes forward. I turn mine forward and the rotor button goes clockwise....forward right?

I read in one of the manuals about valve adjustment and they go backwards so you can get #1 then #2 then put the rocker cover back on.
r_towle
When I do the valves, I recall turning the wheel backwards.....might be wrong though.

malcolm2
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 10 2013, 08:30 PM) *

When I do the valves, I recall turning the wheel backwards.....might be wrong though.

As long as I am not hurting anything manually turning either way and it seems like "everybody does it", so I am good and have a way to manually rotate the engine.

To be safer I went to ACE and got some regular ole bolts to screw into the flanges. Did not want to use the CV bolts.
r_towle
Take the plugs out, it's a lot easier to turn.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.