Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Autocross video
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nolift914
I posted a video of my quickestt run, during the Metro NY PCA autocross @ Nassau Coliseum on 6/30/2013. It was my last run of the event and 13 run in the 914. Still getting to grips with the 914, I am leaving a bit of time on the table. I corded the set of slicks during the run.

Autox run in the 914
Randal
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Jul 12 2013, 07:32 AM) *

I posted a video of my quickestt run, during the Metro NY PCA autocross @ Nassau Coliseum on 6/30/2013. It was my last run of the event and 13 run in the 914. Still getting to grips with the 914, I am leaving a bit of time on the table. I corded the set of slicks during the run.

Autox run in the 914

Looks like a great venue. Nice and big.

Good run and we know you were going quickly as your passenger had a white knuckle hold on that front bar!

Did you call John Berget about getting some take off 250's?
Woody
Nice run. You definetly need some better rubber under that car.
nolift914
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 12 2013, 07:04 AM) *

Autox run in the 914

Good run and we know you were going quickly as your passenger had a white knuckle hold on that front bar!

Yes, but they only had 2 of the gy 250 and 2 of the 430's so i picked up the 2 430's and a set of hooser r25b's, which they said i could make work on a set of fuch 15x8's
Randal
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Jul 12 2013, 08:16 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 12 2013, 07:04 AM) *

Autox run in the 914

Yes, but they only had 2 of the gy 250 and 2 of the 430's so i picked up the 2 430's and a set of hooser r25b's, which they said i could make work on a set of fuch 15x8's

Are the r25b's bias ply?
ChrisFoley
I have some used Hoosier R6's I need to sell.
2 - 225/45-15
2 - 245/40-15
Probably not as sticky as R25's though.
J P Stein
Just IMO.

Anyone that buys used slicks should consider themselves lucky if the tires are "round & black". Anyone that asks tire advice from a seller of used slicks is a candidate for the short bus.......15 inch Hoosier R25s are designed for Formula Atlantic cars (about 1000 lbs) AND a 10 inch wide wheel.......Sure, YOU "can make them work"......maybe.

New R35 Hoosier cantis are good for 40-50 passes then the grip falls off rapidly.

Cheaping out on tires for AX is cutting off your nose to spite your face.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 13 2013, 07:37 AM) *

Just IMO.

Anyone that buys used slicks should consider themselves lucky if the tires are "round & black". Anyone that asks tire advice from a seller of used slicks is a candidate for the short bus.......15 inch Hoosier R25s are designed for Formula Atlantic cars (about 1000 lbs) AND a 10 inch wide wheel.......Sure, YOU "can make them work"......maybe.

New R35 Hoosier cantis are good for 40-50 passes then the grip falls off rapidly.

Cheaping out on tires for AX is cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I agree that buying used slicks would normally be a bad idea; however, the take-off slicks I used to get from John Berget were 250 compound GY that were only used for qualifying. Essentially they had full rubber left on them following qualifying. I've measured the wear bars and they were the same as new ones. The difference of course was that the take offs had been through a couple of HOT cycles, so were never as good as new ones.

John Berget's take-offs are great while figuring out your car and learning the craft. On the other hand once you get the right tires under you ..... biggrin.gif
J P Stein
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 13 2013, 11:05 AM) *

On the other hand once you get the right tires under you ..... biggrin.gif

You get to re-learn how to drive.
Randal
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Jul 14 2013, 05:34 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 13 2013, 11:05 AM) *

On the other hand once you get the right tires under you ..... biggrin.gif

You get to re-learn how to drive.

Yup, right as usual JP. I still haven't gotten in front of the Avon's, but I'll just keep trying.
grantsfo
Yep JP is pretty much expert on tires with his extensive experience.

Although I would say tires I have bought from John over the years have been fine for local autox events. You don't need new tires unless your going to big national level event and your truely trying to win very competitive class where a few then ths are going to make a difference.

Frankly I'd rather have one of johns tires than one of my own ax tires after about 15 runs. His tires tend to be very nice qualifying run tires, no flat spots, very little wear. New Ax tires even after a few runs can be ugly due to flat spots, near punturres etc. people who tend to generate track take offs are experienced drivers who run a set of soft tires for qualifying. They don't usually lock brakes up or run over crap most AXers do. Think your safe buying take offs for local events.
nolift914
Thanks for all the great advice as usual,

I am a long time autoxer, running local, zone and parade PCA autocrosses. This is a new car to me and the first time I have run with slicks. I am looking to learn the car in an economical fashion, unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for a new set of GY 250's or Avon's.

My question regarding the Hoosiers R25b's were if there are any world member's who have used them on their 914's on something other than a 10' rim or had any experience with them. I was looking for a full set of 250 GY cantilevers which were unavailable, these were offered as an option.

Currently I am running local autox's with the 914, I have tried running a set of Radials Nitto NT-01 225/45 15's on the 914, which was unsuccessful due to the 914 being too stiffly sprung for the radials.
Randal
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Jul 15 2013, 07:59 AM) *

I am a long time autoxer, running local, zone and parade PCA autocrosses. This is a new car to me and the first time I have run with slicks. I am looking to learn the car in an economical fashion, unfortunately my budget doesn't allow for a new set of GY 250's or Avon's.

My question regarding the Hoosiers R25b's were if there are any world member's who have used them on their 914's on something other than a 10' rim or had any experience with them. I was looking for a full set of 250 GY cantilevers which were unavailable, these were offered as an option.

Currently I am running local autox's with the 914, I have tried running a set of Radials Nitto NT-01 225/45 15's on the 914, which was unsuccessful due to the 914 being too stiffly sprung for the radials.

Right, we all understand racing budgets.

Suggest you pick up the GY's John has and keep calling him for two more. When you get the tires plastic bag them and they will stay nice. Unfortunately this isn't the best time of year to pick up takeoffs, as the weather is now warmer and the 430's heat up.

Do you know whether the R25b compound tires are bias ply or radials?
nolift914
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 15 2013, 07:57 AM) *

Suggest you pick up the GY's John has and keep calling him for two more. When you get the tires plastic bag them and they will stay nice. Unfortunately this isn't the best time of year to pick up takeoffs, as the weather is now warmer and the 430's heat up.

Not sure, may have made a mistake on those. a few google searches and they look like radials. I should know today when they get delivered.
Randal
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Jul 15 2013, 09:36 AM) *

Not sure, may have made a mistake on those. a few google searches and they look like radials. I should know today when they get delivered.

If you look at the tire charts here <http://www.hoosiertire.com/specrr.htm> the R25b compound in 15" only comes in a radial (second chart). Nothing in bias ply.

You'll have to add some camber if you run the radials.

After you corner balance your car suggest you should seriously running a staggered setup. Choice the tire size by determining what you first want in front, then select the rear by using the front to rear weight distribution ratio.

And narrower tires in front work better as they get heated more quickly. biggrin.gif

nolift914
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 15 2013, 09:11 AM) *

If you look at the tire charts here <http://www.hoosiertire.com/specrr.htm> the R25b compound in 15" only comes in a radial (second chart). Nothing in bias ply.

After you corner balance your car suggest you should seriously running a staggered setup. Choice the tire size by determining what you first want in front, then select the rear by using the front to rear weight distribution ratio.

And narrower tires in front work better as they get heated more quickly. biggrin.gif

What is the front to rear distribution ratio.
Randal
QUOTE(nolift914 @ Jul 15 2013, 12:11 PM) *

When you corner balance your car you'll have (say) 44% of the weight up front and 56% of the weight in back. If you divide 56% by 44% the ratio is 1.27. If you then multiply that ratio by the size of the front tire you want to run (say) 8 inches you come up with 10.2 inches. So if you ran a 10.2" tire in the back every inch of tire on either the front or back would be holding the same weight. Now of course weight moves all around when the car is moving, but it seems to make sense to start with an equal footing.

nolift914
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 15 2013, 11:40 AM) *

QUOTE(nolift914 @ Jul 15 2013, 12:11 PM) *

When you corner balance your car you'll have (say) 44% of the weight up front and 56% of the weight in back. If you divide 56% by 44% the ratio is 1.27. If you then multiply that ratio by the size of the front tire you want to run (say) 8 inches you come up with 10.2 inches. So if you ran a 10.2" tire in the back every inch of tire on either the front or back would be holding the same weight. Now of course weight moves all around when the car is moving, but it seems to make sense to start with an equal footing.

Thanks for the info, I will use it when I corner balance the car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.