Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Motor mount design improvement?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Harpo
While getting ready to put my motor back in my car I decided that I didn't like the design. Instead of the loose nuts I found a nut with a tab that prevents the nut from turning. Thus simplifying the installation

What do you think? Is any one interested?
Click to view attachment
Harpo
Here is the nut

Click to view attachment
ruby914
Like.
stugray
Did you make those, or COTS (Commercial off the shelf)?
That combines the big washer and the nut into one.
Now... can a locking feature be incorporated?
Probably not if you are welding a standard nut onto the plate.
A spot welder might work on an aircraft locknut without melting the locking feature.

Interested

Stu
913B
Installing that nut
and bolt is PITA. Get some more and sell it. I would buy it.
ChrisFoley
How often do those fasteners have to be removed?
Once every 30 years?
Harpo
Thanks Chris,

Of course Chris is right but none the less I thought it was a good idea. Yea weld nuts and lock/prevailing torque nuts don't work well together. Yes this is something that I found and modified to work in our application. I can get more if there is any interest.

Thanks

David
McMark
Those better not be SAE.

poke.gif
sixnotfour
add the center nut
Harpo
No the flag nut is M8-1,25, same as the Origional nut. I'm still working on the M10-1.5 nut
914work
Agreed, the center nut is what is often accessed & is a PITA
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 13 2013, 07:47 AM) *

In the entirety of life, the PITA level of the motor mount nuts is about on a par with having to chew your food before swallowing ...........................

The Cap'n
Black22
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 13 2013, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(914werke @ Jul 13 2013, 07:47 AM) *

In the entirety of life, the PITA level of the motor mount nuts is about on a par with having to chew your food before swallowing ...........................

The Cap'n

av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
This is a nicely made piece and I mean no disrespect here but isn't this a solution in search of a problem?
stugray
but isn't this a solution in search of a problem?

Yes this is something that I found and modified to work in our application.

I am all for raising your hand when you find a COTS solution to our applications even if it is not a 'problem'.

If Harpo had spent time welding these on himself, then it is not worth the trouble, but if he found them for $1 a piece from another application, then that is awesome.
It appears that the nut is high quality and might even have some built in locking features

NOW.... add a "nut holder" to the middle that would restrain an aircraft locknut for the engine mount bar. That would be cool.

Stu
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.