Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: American Hot Rod right now..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
boxstr
Well dumb ass Bluebear pushed Boyd to far and he is gone. finger.gif

Now it gets good, a 29 Ford pickup enters the picture.
CCLINFORDORFORD
rick 918-S
I watching it.. Boyd is an ass. Bluebear is dumber than a box of rocks.
STL914
I saw the show, and my only question is why did Boyd
take that crap from some dumb kid like he did?

Bluebear should have had his ass kicked long ago.
Seeya kid! finger.gif
boxstr
agree.gif He really didn't come off as to much of a dumb ass until this show. I thought more of a disorganized dumb ass. This show he was an arrogant dumb ass and deserved to be let go.
Have to agree with old Charlie, what was he thinking. Getting paid to build a hot rod and Boyd was paying for the parts.
CCLIN"YOURFIRED"
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(boxstr @ Dec 4 2004, 09:29 AM)
agree.gif He really didn't come off as to much of a dumb ass until this show. I thought more of a disorganized dumb ass. This show he was an arrogant dumb ass and deserved to be let go.
Have to agree with old Charlie, what was he thinking. Getting paid to build a hot rod and Boyd was paying for the parts.
CCLIN"YOURFIRED"

i knew craig would post this. i still think hes a dumbass...free car, free parts, paid labor to build it! what more could you ask for?
Rhodes71/914
They'll have to bring him back, ya know for the conflict and drama.
sixnotfour
I wonder what the people who pay big bucks for their rods think about the shop image on TV . Or is that just entertainment.Drama Queens
I hope his wheel shop is run More professionally than the Hot Rod Shop. Cant wait for next weeks show.
xsboost90
yeah well, remember the one w/ "tig" the new guy..yeah he was a dumbass too but bluebear got him fired messing w/ him... then refuses to follow bosses orders??? If i worked there i would kiss the ground boyd walks on for the opportunity.
BMartin914
I'm still trying to understand why Boyd Coddington has so many dolts and dumb interns working for him.

I would imagine that there are builders out there 20 times more skilled than "Bluebear" that would work for Coddington for free just to be able to say they had a hand in building this car or that car.

Instead he hires some disrepectful kids. I don't get it.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(BMartin914 @ Dec 4 2004, 08:45 AM)
I'm still trying to understand why Boyd Coddington has so many dolts and dumb interns working for him.

I would imagine that there are builders out there 20 times more skilled than "Bluebear" that would work for Coddington for free just to be able to say they had a hand in building this car or that car.

Instead he hires some disrepectful kids. I don't get it.

Here's the deal. As a former shop owner with a 6 man crew I can tell you I had Boyd's worse nightmare on steroids in my shop everyday! I actually talked about how many drama queens I had working for me. If Discovery ever did a show out of my old shop arrested would have been made. If this is interesting to you I'll post a few stories. Beware, It will sound like fiction but I have witnesses that will verify the facts. Don't miss the crap at all!

This is arts and crafts. You ever try to tell an artist how to create a master piece? Blue Bear was creating the car as he preceived it. Boyd doesn't have the skills to get what he wants while convincing Blue Bear it was his personal idea all along.

People that go into the profession are usually high school educated or less. I would have to say there are a few acceptions. But really were watching Dumb and Dumber in real life.
STL914
During one of the meetings Boyd had with Bluebear and the other guys, Boyd made a statement that he wished he could fire him. That really seemed like an odd thing to say, since Boyd owns the business. Anyone else catch that?

I wonder if there was a clause in the contract for the show that he lost some of his "rights" as far as hiring/firing of the main "chararcters"?
mack914
Hey guys, this stuff is all scripted out. It may seem like real life, with all its dumb asses, but it's just Hollywood trying to make money. They know how to create drama in a body shop and make it work.
FriarJohn
Just wait until Charlie (the painter) departs. He's probably one of the few people in that shop that deserve better (rumor has it that he got it - there is life after Coddinton's). From the stories a buddy brought back from SEMA, don't believe everything you see on TV (but then again, you knew that already, right?).

Regarding Bluebear - they really didn't explain why Boyd put up with his shit for so long. We know Boyd's trophy wife likes Bluebear, but he must be part of the family in some way. That kid has done nothing but cause trouble since (and I'm sure, long before) the series started. It was only a matter of time before he screwed himself over.
BMartin914
I just look at some of the people on the show like Charlie (who is a real craftsman) and even Mike that does some of the CAD/CAM work and they seem like they are working toward something someday.

Then you have these morons like Bluebear and that Beetle Bailey kid that are like "what," "huh."

It just seems like a name like Boyd Coddington would have resumes flooding in all the time for people that would be willing to do anything in the shop for a reference.

Maybe the whole thing is scripted, and the morons are just there for comic releif and conflict. Or maybe he is just giving jobs to loser kids of friends and family.

I haven't even seen Bluebear get fired -- you guys ruined it for me. <_<
Chris H.
QUOTE(STL914 @ Dec 4 2004, 02:35 PM)
During one of the meetings Boyd had with Bluebear and the other guys, Boyd made a statement that he wished he could fire him. That really seemed like an odd thing to say, since Boyd owns the business. Anyone else catch that?

I wondered that too, but I think the issue was that Boyd had set up this big "rat rod buildoff" race to Kentucky thing with a magazine and he didn't want to back out of it.

Speaking of that "Tig" guy, that was the show when I got suspicious that the whole thing was scripted. I don't know about you all, but if there was a guy at my work going around calling other people "sheep f$#kers" like Bluebear did to Tig, that person would be immediately fired. And then when the guy reports it to Duane, he says, "too bad, I am not going to do anything about it". Right in front of the camera with Boyd standing there? Yeah right.....
spare time toys
For me its like watching paid day care. I does remind me of a lot of the guys at work though. biggrin.gif
GWN7
I saw the sheep*&%$#rs episode too....all I could think was lawsuit. Here Tig would have got at least a years pay for Duane letting that crap go on. Mind you, Boyd probably pays them crap wages to begin with.

I also liked the compassion shown when the guy hurt his knee snowboarding on his one day off (same guy that was in the hospital for 6 months after Boyds kid rolled the car). I liked the line "what did you think you were doing going snowboarding when we have a car to build" Like I have yet to see Boyd turn a wrench. Kid shows up the next day with a knee 3X normal. I wonder how much health care benefits Boyd has for his employees?

I like how Boyds first wife can shut down the always tight schedule to have a meeting with all the staff (except Boyd) about how to fill out her paperwork. Like Carlos in the paint shop ever fills out any paperwork. laugh.gif
my15window
I commend bluebear,half the people in O.C. have a 50 grand restored car that they never have touched a wrench on.Is a brand new plastic car with all new parts a Hot Rod? bluebear wanted what he wanted for HIS car. It took balls to stand up for his vision...
MattR
I agree. Maybe its the irvine air, but I caught part of one of the episodes and blue bear didnt want to box the front end. He thought it would look ugly. Boyd thinks he's an engineer and told bluebear to box the front end. This would be nice if Boyd wasnt just a poster boy for 'just for men' beard dye. But since Boyd cant back up his claim on paper, he should shut up until it breaks because his opinion is just as valid as Bluebear's. Even though bluebear is animated (which is probably just part of the script), he's not a total idiot.

BTW where in irvine are you my15window?
boxstr
No problem with that, but it came down to being a safety issue. If you have ever seen a Model A frame, that is not boxed, you could step on it wrong and bend the thing.

It also came down to the fact that they were going to have to drive these to Louisville Kentucky from Calif.. And be followed and photographed for Rod and Custom magazine.

I am the first to say stick to your guns when it comes to doing what you want on your car, Porsche or Ford. But think smart, the boxed frame is not going to detract from the spacial concept of Bluebeards car. You are just not gongto see it, but you are goin gto know it when it cracks because of the wiehgt of a flathead and Lincoln gear box and 8 inch rear end, and don't forget Bluebeard isn't exactly on the LA diet plan biggrin.gif

I think he just wasted a great oppurtunity to get a rod built for FREE, with a consession, in the name of SAFETY.
Maybe Boyd was looking out for Bluebeards ass too. Now he can spend his time in the unemployment line with his balls and vision.
CCLINHOPUP
retrotech
I never realized I was in such danger. I drove my Chanelled 31 Model A, with a 283 Chevy V8 in the ealy 60's.........no box/no problem?

Retro
SpecialK
Like the cars....can't stand the people on the show. They're all dumbasses, pricks, or a combination of the two.....well, except for the painter, he's alright.
MattR
Im not a fan of boyd's cars anyway. I think everything he does is old school look, which is good, but its all the same. I dont think he's very creative. But to each his own, thats what the hot rod industry is all about!

And the painter (charlie) is no longer working for Boyd. He moved to Foose Design to work with Chip Foose, who I think is a real artist.
SpecialK
QUOTE(MattR @ Dec 4 2004, 09:35 PM)

And the painter (charlie) is no longer working for Boyd. He moved to Foose Design to work with Chip Foose, who I think is a real artist.

Shows how much I watch it rolleyes.gif

I'm with you on Chip Foose, VERY talented! Not a dipsh*t like the fools on American Hotrod either.
URY914
Boyd' first wife is a little Hitler herself. BIG PITA to work wirth.
I agree that 1/2 the people in that shiop could be replaced tomorrow with high school drop outs.

Paul
914efi
2 things:

I run a shop building optical instruments that require a mix of talent, intellect and perseverence. People with this mix are very difficult to find, so you put up with some of the strangeness. My shop is a good natured Boyd's, or American chopper atmosphere. Anyone want a job?

I wondered why they could not compromise and do a boxing of the frame at some depth that would still show the channel section, but would add strength. This would have taken a bit of extra time, but might have satisfied everyone.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(914efi @ Dec 5 2004, 06:43 AM)
2 things:

I wondered why they could not compromise and do a boxing of the frame at some depth that would still show the channel section, but would add strength. This would have taken a bit of extra time, but might have satisfied everyone.

That's why Boyd is such an idiot. He doesn't have the people skills to negociate. He see's what he wants to see. After all... he is Boyd! Blue Bear is a kid. I was wondering why Charlie wasn't in the show. Glad to here he escaped. He's a talented good natured guy. I can't believe I watch that crap. I'm hooked.
boxstr
I think they should update there website www.boydcoddington.com now that a few of the people have left the show.

If you dig into the website you can get the forum and people are 50/50 on there like and dislike for Boyd and for theexit of Charlie and BB.

I have always thought that from the very first show, what are people how have commisioned to have a car built at this shop going to think when they see the way some of the people conduct themselves, who are going to be building there car.

I always thought RIDES was a much better program, and OVERHAULIN is better than the soap opera that is BOYDS .
But I'll be watching again next week wink.gif
CCLINROYBRIZIORULES
jim912928
Let's not forget OCC....American Chopper....I love to watch those two fight! Only difference between Boyd and Paul Sr. is Paul Sr. could kick your ass!
retrotech
For all of you, that are hooked on the Soap, AHR. I too have been amazed at the crap Boyd took from BB, and even wondered if they were related. That might explain why the kid stayed.
I recently sold a 356 to one of the fabricators on the show. He is a very nice guy, probably why he doesn't get much camera time.
I will try to attach the reponse he sent to my questions about the show.
Basically he said he couldn't understand why Boyd put up with him. He also said everything is filmed just as it happens, not scripted, "except" Mike's idea of the truck challenge. Boyd was in on that idea.
But it truly was an 8 day deadline, and they did work day & night.
I guess the trip to KY was pretty interestying also.

Retro
FriarJohn
QUOTE(MattR @ Dec 4 2004, 10:35 PM)
And the painter (charlie) is no longer working for Boyd.  He moved to Foose Design to work with Chip Foose, who I think is a real artist.

With regards to whether it's scripted or not, yes and no. It's my understanding that Charlie quit. Before he left, Boyd asked him into his office, and with the cameras there, "fired" him. So keep that in mind when you watch that episode.

Pretty chickenshit, if you ask me. ar15.gif finger.gif barf.gif chair.gif

And Foose? Foose is the man. He's the only one on TV right now, in all these bike and car shows, that has any integrity or credibility.
FriarJohn
RE: Tig.

When the first Tig show aired, I asked a friend in "the biz" if he knew the guy. He said he knew of him and, "he's already back in Great Falls." I didn't get any other info at the time, but obviously I knew he wasn't going to last. But Tig is for real. People up here really do talk like that. I guess we're all just a bunch of insensitive neanderthals up here who want to beat up annoying shitheads. rolleyes.gif

Kinda makes me wonder, now, about the level of involvement of the producers. I wonder if they get any say in who gets hired on, not to script them, but to create conflict. Shows like Survivor and the Real World (awful title) use creative casting all the time to induce conflict and "drama."

I think Boyd would be insane to let a TV producer to that to his shop. blink.gif
MattR
I think we all have to remember this show is on discovery, not speed. Its meant to entertain and boost ratings.

I would be into a car show that brough cars back from the dead on a REAL network, but until then I'll just wrench on my teener (or 912 biggrin.gif).
Thorshammer
Well,Well, Well,

The truth folks is those idiots put people in the seats.

And I really don't like it. Coddington is a poor leader as is his management. Dewayne is a poor excuse for a manager. And Boyd, Another poor excuse but for an owner. I have worked in a restoration and "Hot Rod" shop and really talented people are few and far between, Like a good metal worker. The art itself is being lost, so the grumpy old prick you see on AHR is the last of a dying breed, and for the poster that said the people that work in those shops are barely HS graduates, "exception" taken. The really good fabricators have spent years to hone their craft, beside how many college graduates you know can really do something. They still need OJT. And these days most of them want to be middle management when they start.

As for AHR, I agree with BlueBalls, Boyd cut up a really nice car for this bullshit project, that car will never be made again, nor driven, nor enjoyed and it really sucked to see him screw the windows up and destroy a perfectly good restored car, just like the 29 truck they are now doing. It makes my heart sink.

Being in the motorcycle industry, I have on occasion met the OCC guys, mostly prior to their "discovery" on Discovery. I will say this, some ideas are new, but I am really sick and tired of seeing add ons to an existing chassis. And REALLY tired of seeing them banging axles and bolts in so they fit. Heh AH, go get a reamer, you would think by now they know when you plate a part the hole size changes. maybe they should have stuck with IROn working, and without that painter they have, they would'nt be shit. He is really talented, as for paulie and Sr Paulie, goombas, Thats it. I have to hand it to them though, they are making more than me. But they suck at project management too.

Erik
GWN7
Watching "Rides" tonight and Chip Foose introduced his new painter Charlie.....Charlie's comment was it was nice to see that everything was so organised for the build. (they were doing a Cadillac XLR).
boxstr
Also Part 1 of the Rat build, the beginning of the end for BB. On American Hot Rod tonight.
CCLINREPEAT
GWN7
They showed BB on rides later on......no intro, but can't miss that hat. biggrin.gif
Aaron Cox
what time is rides on?
ws91420
Comes on at 1 amagain on the east coast. Cool builds of 2 Caddys for SEMA.
boxstr
American Hot rod right now Rat Rod part 1, 12pm Overhaulin, and 1am Rides.
CCLINTVGUIDE
seanery
you know, this is gonna sound wierd but, I thought Boyd was a true ass, but the more I see of the early parts of the Rat Rod build off, I think he was right. Anything coming out of his shop represents him, and since he was footing the bill for the parts and labor he deserves a bit of control on perceived safety issues. I thought EVERYONE boxed frame rails today anyway confused24.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(seanery @ Dec 8 2004, 08:25 AM)
I thought EVERYONE boxed frame rails today anyway confused24.gif

everyone BUT bluebear biggrin.gif alfred.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.