Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlight relay question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anderssj
Hi all,

I was able to fix the old headlight relay (contacts were pitted), but picked up a new one just in case . . .

The new part has a slightly different PN (no "A")--the old "583A" is no longer available.

The new relay also has an additional contact ("30"), with the other 4 now labeled "56," "56a," "56b," and "S" (what happend to the "F"?).

Tried installing the new relay after looking at various diagrams--lights would come on (low), but not switch to high beam. Seems as if there needs to be a connection made to the new terminal ("30")--perhaps a "jumper" to ground, or one of the other terminals?

Any advice/BTDT would be appreciated--I don't want to let any of the "magic smoke" out of the relay (who ever posted that really helped me figure out how this electrical stuff works biggrin.gif ).

Thanks!

Steve A-
jim_hoyland
According to Dr Porsche's 914'S,TIPS PAGE 105:
The 4 term headlight relay has neen replaced by a 5 terminal part. To use this new part, plug the four wires in the orig config, ( red / white to 56, yellow to 56A, yellow / red to S and white/blue to 56B or F and then jump 56 to the new 30
anderssj
Jim,

Thanks for the quick response!

I'll give it a try later today.

Best,

Steve A-
Petepat
QUOTE(anderssj @ Dec 4 2004, 09:27 AM) *

Jim,

Thanks for the quick response!

I'll give it a try later today.

Best,

Steve A-

Well, managed to get the old relay working but will still change it for the new one BUT before that I now have the lights working high and low BUT one is high the other is low and visa versa!! I don't remember it being like that before, I've only had the car for about a month, is this a common occurrence?
76-914
wacko.gif Sounds like one of the headlamps has it H/L wires crossed. Any indication of a new or replaced connector at the headlamp itself? beerchug.gif
JWest
The 4 headlight wires are to the left front of the fuse box. They are split at the fuse box, fuses 1&2 high beam, fuses 3&4 low beam. 2 inputs, 4 outputs.

You should see a white wire exiting the front of fuse 1 and another white wire on fuse 2, then a yellow wire on fuse 3 and another yellow on fuse 4. If these are white, yellow, white, yellow, you have found the issue.

If this is ok, check the headlight bulb connection. Brown (ground) is to the left, yellow (low) is on top, and white (high) is to the right.

Petepat
QUOTE(JWest @ Dec 20 2022, 01:18 PM) *

The 4 headlight wires are to the left front of the fuse box. They are split at the fuse box, fuses 1&2 high beam, fuses 3&4 low beam. 2 inputs, 4 outputs.

You should see a white wire exiting the front of fuse 1 and another white wire on fuse 2, then a yellow wire on fuse 3 and another yellow on fuse 4. If these are white, yellow, white, yellow, you have found the issue.

If this is ok, check the headlight bulb connection. Brown (ground) is to the left, yellow (low) is on top, and white (high) is to the right.

Thanks for all the tips, checked that all the wiring was right but you know what I figured out there was a poor grounding by the headlights and my theory is that somehow it was getting its earth connection via the other headlight bulb. You know bad earths can present some very strange symptoms sometimes and its best not to get too be seduced by them. Thanks for everybody's help, all is working as it should do.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.