Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 4 lug Fuchs / 1974 4 lug fuchs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
wes
I have a 1974 that Im restoring and a 1973 parts car, with the thought of selling off 4 x Fuchs and keeping the best of for my keeper project
Dose anyone have any idea if 1973 Fuchs are any deferant than 1974 Fuchs?
0n the 73 and the 74 I see ser#914 361 011.01 5 1/2Jx15 AS1.62

on the 1973 028091 Q on the 74 028091 S same # except Q vers S

on the 1973 VW 673 on the 74 VW 773 673 vers 773

Is it just the years numbers or is this some thing I should know?
Dave_Darling
Should be the same, unless it was very very very early 73. There were a few of those made that fit the early hubs and not the later hubs.

There are pictures around here somewhere of the two. Sorry, I can't find my copies at the moment.

--DD
stugray
I know that one set of my "Fuchs" requires longer wheel stud bolts than the other wheels.

Stu
brant
although I believe the wheels to be functionally the same

they may have date stamps... ( 5bolts do)
so it depends on how anal you want to get on having the correct manufacture date on the wheel.
wes
Thanks guys Ill keep the ones on the car that are on from new even though the others are really nicer they all need to be redone any way! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
Wes - If you're lucky enough to have the original Fuchs - all 5 including the spare - for your 74, then stick with those, & keep a 5th from the others if your Fuchs spare was "stolen" by the original dealer.

Send them to Weideman Wheels in Oroville (closer to you than Al Reed down here in Anaheim who is equally as great at restoring these to factory correct, polished, or whatever you're looking for.

As to fitment - ALL 73-76 MY 914s must use the Fuchs with part no. ending in -01 with the inset machined out for the front self-centering/hubcentric hubs' lip (see pic below).

If any on yours are p/n: -00 without the groove - either machine them with the inset or sell them to 70-72 914 owners without the hubcentric front hubs.

Stu - all Fuchs use the same longer wheel lugbolt as shown at the 914 PET parts catalog that you can download as a pdf for free at the Porsche website's Classics section under documentation there - and that was also the same for all other 4-lug Mahle & Pedrini alloys too (38 mm IIRC).

If you're not using the long ones, then you may not be getting enough threads in there for bite & safe driving.....or you may have the early improperly made non-hubcentric p/n: -00 Fuchs on there which then sit out on the front hubs only bearing on the hubcentric lip - also very dangerous.

So pull your wheels & look at the backsides for the inset in the pic below, & same deal with p/n's -00 vs -01 on Pedrini & Mahle 4-lug alloy wheels too.... shades.gif

Click to view attachment

Cheers! beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.