Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ez30r rayco 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Porscharu73
Hello 914 world and welcome to my thread ....I'm in the process of a conversion with a ez30r I have been collecting parts since december of 2012 its going to be a long road ahead but I see the promise land ahead

Click to view attachment
Here she is one long search 10 hour drive and a trade later she is mine biggrin.gif bodywork was all done prior and anti rust agent was done by last owner

Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment

I love my girls with a fat a$$ KMA.gif lol

Click to view attachment
I enjoy art so I was having a pow wow to myself in the garage and pick up a pencil lol idea.gif have yet to finish

So my first thought was to go with a jdm ej20 forged pistons bigger injectors the works but with a stock td04 I was going for reliability for trips and driving around town run low boost 8-10 psi a little more when I wanted to really get on it.
Well after a little bit more research I started to fall for the ez30r just everything about it seem to please me a bit more and seeing people here have done it already and a heated debate to myself v6 or 4 banger turbo I decided to scrap the ej20 idea and purchase the ez30 instead
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment

I picked up the motor for Just under 1400 with automatic trans from a local Jdm engine dealer Note this is not my motor I had pictures of it fully assemble and then pics of it after torn it down but I lost them all when I lost my phone sad.gif but you get the idea and will post pics of my motor soon

Click to view attachment

Here is the 03 Wrx 5 speed I will be using that I picked up for $50 in Lancaster CA the guy said there was no 2nd gear we will find out
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment

At the same time that day of picking up the trans I had a family member pickup a 1989 sc 911 complete front suspension for $500 in sac for me THANKS for good family now for some wheels soon I hope lol

Click to view attachment

So after some long research and calling and asking questions on radiators I decided to go with one I found that's duel core duel pass 24x9 with an-16 bungs on it i will have to make my own shroud well using dual 8 inch spal fansI picked up all my fittings from jegs and sniper motorsports with high gloss finish with pro-flo 350 light weight racing hose this includes my water fuel and oil I have a lot more fitting just didn't get them in the picture
Porscharu73
So this is where I have stop in the mean time I'm in the process of looking up a ecu maybe a link g4 xtreme or stinger 6860 also looking into some magic flanges or another option to cvs, the shifter and linkage and cradle once I figure this out I will start the build of putting everything together but I'm really close and can't wait to start I will post more pictures and chime in when ever I get the chance right now work and funds are getting in the way hopefully to finish by October for a trip up and down the California coast line as of now my goal is a reliable driver after all said and done I plan on turbocharging the ez30 piratenanner.gif

So feel free to chime in and thanks for looking

Also if anyone knows of the specs that this conversion gives out 0-60 times,weight,mpg,things of that nature would be greatly appreciate bye1.gif
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment
So I wake up this morning to a gift from the lovable girlfriend thanks babe... I found them on Craigslist

Click to view attachment
Not bad of a look we will see what they look like after the matte black power coat
JRust
Get some longer studs. The offset on those won't be right. I'm going to guess you'll need 1" to 1"1/2 up front. Then 1"1/2-2 1/2" in back. I'll hope I am wrong there but I looked at a set once. Much deeper offset
Andyrew
More like 1.5 front and 2.5-3 back.

smile.gif
bulitt
Good luck on your project! Have Fun!
Just install the 100mm studs on the 911 hubs then you can cut off the excess down the road after everything has been fitted.
The radiator looks a tad small to me ???
Randal
QUOTE(Porscharu73 @ Jul 16 2013, 11:25 AM) *

At the same time that day of picking up the trans I had a family member pickup a 1989 sc 911 complete front suspension for $500 in sac for me THANKS for good family now for some wheels soon I hope lol

So after some long research and calling and asking questions on radiators I decided to go with one I found that's duel core duel pass 24x9 with an-16 bungs on it i will have to make my own shroud well using dual 8 inch spal fansI picked up all my fittings from jegs and sniper motorsports with high gloss finish with pro-flo 350 light weight racing hose this includes my water fuel and oil I have a lot more fitting just didn't get them in the picture

Just a heads up on that light weight hose. I used it up front with my oil cooler and all it needs is one little thread cut or tear (just rubbing somewhere) and it will fail shortly after. What happens is that the thread unravels a bit from where ever it is
cut or torn, then that spot isn't protected against pressure and it blows the hose. I I had mine fail at an autox and it dumped 2 quarts of oil so fast you wouldn't believe it.

So use the stainless steel wrapped stuff, or you'll be retrofitting like I had to do. biggrin.gif
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment

This is the radiator I'm using its for Hondas it's a tucked radiator for the Hondas running big turbos or in need of extra room I call them and talk to them they said it should be able to do just fine for what I'm using it for look a perrins build and many other ez30r conversions even when they turbo charge the motor they still us the stock ez30 radiator

As far as the hose im was thinking of using that hose shield don't really know what it is called ...and I'm will be metal piping with -16an bungs welded to it for under the car but completely understand where your coming from

As far as the 100mm studs thanks I will be looking into them will spacers be necessary
3d914
Cool project! Looks like the kit was done well. I like the front bumper on that Rayco kit. Good choice for motor, too! EZ30 was on my list - just wasn't brave enough to venture that deeply into the unknown at the time. I started mine in 2008.
bulitt
Yes spacers will be needed for those wheels.
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment
Interior is not bad took the dash off to get it painted and leather redone

Click to view attachment
Just a few -16 fittings with one steel bung attached to it
Porscharu73
Have not updated in a while but I was have trouble finding all the photos different SD cards I'm an idiot well here is the motor hanging waiting for a cradle
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Porscharu73
I have recently bought the headers,flywheel,starter,clutch fork,clutch pedal etc...the only parts I'm at a roadblock with the shifter and axles but everything seems to be coming along very slowly lol

Showing water lines and a little bit of the cradle
Click to view attachment Click to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Porscharu73
The motor nicely tucked away in it's new home fuel lines fuel pump water reservoir still have not decided. Where to put the ecu
Click to view attachmentClick to view attachmentClick to view attachment
Mike Bellis
Your coolant lines look nice. You better raise your car up high! You will rip the lines open after a few speed bumps. I've lost count on how many times my rubber lines have hit bumps...

You could fab skid plates to protect the lines. idea.gif

Looks like a cool build... smile.gif
JRust
QUOTE(Mike Bellis @ Feb 22 2014, 11:19 AM) *

Your coolant lines look nice. You better raise your car up high! You will rip the lines open after a few speed bumps. I've lost count on how many times my rubber lines have hit bumps...

You could fab skid plates to protect the lines. idea.gif

Looks like a cool build... smile.gif

That is the nice thing with the gates greens tripe hose. Tough enough can just flex with a bump. so even if it's smashed by a bump. Typically it is just temporary. That does look nice & clean. Can't wait to see you fire that up piratenanner.gif . Keep up the good work
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment update

I have still been looking into axles and shifter then came across these rims when I had to pick them up just completes the look very happy how it came out
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Bought a 91 celica shifter from a pick and pull junk yard I liked the way it felt and how short it was

Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment

feels like a short shifter
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment

shifter fabricated and cables bought from a shop in town I have all my paper work for every part and will have a list at the end no shift mechanism at the moment
Porscharu73
Shift knob that was order off ebay also order the factory shift boot and a sick speed shift knob retainer

Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
I am very happy how it came out looking

Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
In the process buy 2 magnaflows for the dual exhaust system

Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
I had some time to officially found the computerS home tuff spot but there was a indent on the bottom on the fire wall on both sides that work very well got the computer from outfront motorsports in Buena park CA I so happen to come at the right time when john the owner pulled his out of his sand rail to swap over to a newer version and doing some tweaks to his turbo chatged motor so it has a full turbo charged set built into the harnesses already now the fun part

Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Jegs fuel filter
Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Exhaust hung and wrapped
Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Whats with the open areas of the exhaust? Going to do a crossover or is that the exit area?
Porscharu73
Thought about it maybe later down the road. I am just going to run them out the back or sides. Also got some new stuff in

-autometer phantom guages water temp/oil pressure
-momo steering wheel adaptor
-universal quick release
-universal black shade steering wheel
-used track 914 roll cage
-stinger ecu hooked up
-Water and fuel lines done

Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Gauges are just there for now until we get everything settled and set in stone but for now here a little video of its first true start still working things out but it has raised from the dead..

914 Porsche ez30r: http://youtu.be/1NKFbL7j9Fk
Porscharu73
Here is some picture of the motor when it was out
Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Click to view attachment
Porscharu73
Thank you guys at 914gonewild for doing the tig on the most important parts cause who knows what kind of mess I would have made
Click to view attachment
TheBabyBadger
Well.... anyone following this thread will probably get an alert that it has been updated. SO HERE GOES:

The car now belongs to me. Fired it up last week. Heats up to operating temperature. Lots of plumbing was done for cooling system along with some trick water lines that route under the car (so no speed bumps for this badboy, period). I'll need to make some bump stops or a skid plate to protect them.

Most of the HARD work is done. I got it with no gauges and a broken driver side axle. I currently have a friend building axles for it (very stout ones) that shouldn't have any issues. The motor sits forward a bit, place some extra strain on axle angle, but it's more proper for weight distribution. Motor runs good. Heats up well. Charges battery.

Widebody done well. Need a new engine cover (rear deck lid, trunk, bonnet?).

Suspension is good, have coil overs I need to finish. Just added new tail lights.

Engine cradle is legit, trans mounts need work. Driver side obstructed by shifter cables. Easy fix.

Roll cage needs to be welded in.

New to wire and add all necessary gauges.

Need to finish air flow for radiator.

Need to fix exhaust. Great idea, poor design for airflow.

Need to paint it.

Needs the proper width tires installed. Running 215s on a 9.5 wide rim like the honda guys, should have 235s or 245s.

I will keep updating this from time to time. Unfortunately, this side had more info on what I picked up than the owner did. All in all, it's all there. Once its registered (after axles come) I'll get it over to my friend's dyno shop and get you guys some numbers on the engine output.

I'll also run it down Sonoma's drag strip just for an idea of power to weight, but it will be built for roadracing, NOT the drag strip. That's what an LS1 is for.

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed. Especially if you know anything about the car, hahahaha! It's pretty close to done and I'm excited to FINISH this thread for you guys, clearly it's been dragging on for quite some time!

Cheers! and my name is Brian.
Chris H.
welcome.png

Welcome Brian! Was wondering about that car recently. Glad to see you're finishing it. Feel free to ask questions if you need help. Sounds like you have a good plan.

BTW... the AXLE broke? Not the CV?
Chris Pincetich
beerchug.gif
welcome.png
TheBabyBadger
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Sep 8 2015, 02:39 PM) *

welcome.png

Welcome Brian! Was wondering about that car recently. Glad to see you're finishing it. Feel free to ask questions if you need help. Sounds like you have a good plan.

BTW... the AXLE broke? Not the CV?

I'm not sure, he didn't supply it. It was missing. My guess would be the CV broke, given the original output of the motor, and the hybrid axles on the RT side was OEM 914 at the hub (poor design). New axles are custom. Good for 500hp.

Also ordered an OBX Torsen LSD. Don't know of any options, and they came recommended by Subaru Gears of Australia.

It's really pretty close. Not sure if maybe the last guy burned out or what. I've been there. I know the original "Porscharu" started the build FOREVER ago, and talked about it even back in 03! Not sure how much work this last owner did, or if he was just posting pictures. I'll update as soon as I've got something worth talking about. I'm a little more pragmatic. Get it all working, get it registered. Keep moving forward.

This is new to me, but cars and hybrids certainly aren't! I've build a couple RX7 LS1, 944 LS1, K20 VETC, etc etc... SO...

ALL INFO AND INPUT is welcomed and encouraged. smile.gif
76-914
welcome.png Looking forward to seeing another Pooteru Powered Porsche in the fold, so to speak. PM me for a VW/Subaru decal. beerchug.gif
TheBabyBadger
QUOTE(76-914 @ Sep 8 2015, 03:18 PM) *

welcome.png Looking forward to seeing another Pooteru Powered Porsche in the fold, so to speak. PM me for a VW/Subaru decal. beerchug.gif

Well thanks. Hopefully it proceeds rather quickly!
TheBabyBadger
**UPDATE**

TOO MUCH CONFUSION GOING BACK AND FORTH. I'LL BEGIN A NEW THREAD AS SOON AS I MAKE SOME HEADWAY. KEEP AN EYE OUT!!!

Thanks in advance for the support. Bad experiences on forums, I hope this one is better!

-Brian
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.