Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dragon Hill Climb V....Papa Smurf is Famous!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
Hey Everyone
Look at the Poster being used for the next Dragon Hill Climb - August 3-4!!!
We're famous!!

Click to view attachment
billh1963
That is awesome! Congratulations!
bulitt
smilie_pokal.gif

Thats a beautiful car!
Congrats
nolift914
Congrats smilie_pokal.gif
scotty b
Too cool smile.gif beerchug.gif
pcar916
Excellent! piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
naro914
Unfortunately....Papa Smurf is in the infirmary right now. sad.gif

Thinking of running with Huey...hope he doesn't end up "sick" too!!
r_towle
Huey poured sugar in papas tank after you put that photo up in the garage
naro914
Unfortunately I wish it was only that.... Blew the engine at Mid Ohio and busted a hole in the case, destroyed crank, couple new cylinders, new piston, broken Carillo rod, broke a 996 oil pump, bent a valve, etc, etc, etc.....
r_towle
Again???? WTF??
cary
Made us all proud ....................
naro914
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 16 2013, 10:15 PM) *

Again???? WTF??

We think this is a lesson in "if you blow up your engine, clean, clean and reclean EVERYTHING that came in contact with the oil. Then when you are sure it's all clean, do it again. And send your oil cooler to a place that can ultrasonically clean it, or replace it...

I did all the tank/line/cooler cleaning (obviously all the engine parts were cleaned since most were NEW!) and thought I did a good job, but it's very likely that metal particles were still somewhere in the system and got into the oil journals on the crank and caused issues.
naro914
So it looks like Huey is coming out of retirement and having to get all his safety and racing stuff reinstalled.

Gotta put in the door bars and window net. Surprisingly, that's not that easy...door bars are fine, the window nets we used for Targa Newfoundland were mounted to brackets on the doors that punched through the door panels. However, since then we installed the expensive RS door panels which I am NOT messing with..."So" we thought... "just put the old door panels back in for the Hillclimb weekend"...yeah, but to install the RS panels you have to modify the door handle rod so it won't work with the stock door handles... and my spare stock ones I sold. Damn...

But, we'll figure it out. Even if we have to reach to the outside of the door to open it!.. Won't be as fast as Papa, but we'll still try to make the 914 world proud!
Randal

Cool!

BajaXJ92
Good luck, Bob! thumb3d.gif
Dave_Darling
How hard would it be to transplant the drivetrain from Huey into Papa Smurf? Might be easier than re-fitting all the required stuff to Huey...

--DD
naro914
Very hard. Oil and fuel lines don't match up, nor does any of the wiring. Huey had stock 3.2 wiring harness and ecu, papa has a custom aftermarket ecu - DTA. Ignition, timing, tach, etc are all wired differently.
r_towle
Need door parts?

Pm me, they are yours for the asking
naro914
Thanks for the offer, but I think we're good
Installed the door panel, door bars and window net today! gotta get the cool suit cooler out of Papa, change Huey's oil, change the wheels/tires to our Autocross A6's, and we should be all set!
naro914
Update from the Dragon:
I got 1st in class, first.gif Nadine got 3rd but only .8 seconds from Second Place! driving-girl.gif

Herman Porter also brought his stock 2.0 and got second in his class - good day for 914's... smilie_pokal.gif

So here's a little story about the event: back in June when we ran with Papa Smurf, we ran in GT2 class because that's what the organizers said we were in. Having never run with SCCA, we didn't know.... so...I go out and kick the ass of the guy who ALWAYS wins GT2 (beat him by 8 seconds) and he's a bit miffed (drives a very nicely set up Datsun 240Z). So he informally complains to the organizer saying our car was illegal. Ted, the event chair, dismisses 2 of his complaints but says a third - that our wing cannot be higher than the roof of the car - may be legit. But nobody has a rule book in hand, so I offer to not take series points for the event, just to place in class...(mainly because there was $150 prize money for first!!). Ted talks to the other guy and says "can you look me in the eyes and tell me that without that wing, Bob would be 8 seconds slower?" Ted said at that moment, something very interesting on the ground caught the other guys eye and he needed to shuffle his feet a bit and look down... smile.gif

Afterward, we look at the rules and yes, tall wings are not allowed in GT2. But the event was over, I got 1st and the $$, and he got his championship points. All was good.

So this time, we take Huey - No wing, and nowhere near the set up car as Papa Smurf...almost half the HP, 300 lbs heavier, half the size tires, no downforce, etc, etc, etc.... And...I still won!! And Nadine almost beat him too - only 0.8 seconds away from him! (To be fair, he broke his car on Saturday, but I still beat his best times from previous events)

So, the overweight little 914 that survived a wreck at Targa Newfoundland years ago, with the weak and dying engine, stock suspension and smaller tires beat up on the bad-ass 240Z! (ironically, it was his car that is on the trophies for this event...see pics below)

Great weekend!! smilie_pokal.gif

I hope to have video up later this week...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
Hey! That's Bill Coffey's car!

Way to go Bob and Nadine! He isn't easy to beat... cheer.gif
naro914
Yep, that's Bill(s). Both dad and son are nice guys, talked to them a bit. Would have liked them to be able to compete all weekend...I've been on that end of the equation way too many times myself!
ConeDodger
Immaculate car and really great driver. Bill has a garage party every year. Lives in Florida I think...
ChrisFoley
Great story Bob.
Congrats on a well earned victory!
Chris Pincetich
Way to go! first.gif
Thanks (again) for sharing your great racin stories w us beerchug.gif

So did Huey's time best that of Papa Smurf? Isn't it the same course as previous years?
naro914
Best I could do in Huey was about 5 seconds slower than Papa Smurf, though Nadine was faster in Huey. I think she's still not completely comfortable with Papas power.

I think if we use Papa next year, I can be much faster than this year. Experience definitely helps, and Papas gearing is all wrong for its engine. Once the engine is back together, the 915 trans that's been sitting waiting will change things a lot...
naro914
Video of Nadine running the Hillclimb:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJMoNpes40o
chad newton
Looks fun. I really can't wait to get mine even half ass done.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.