Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: GT Headlight Kits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
NS914
Hey Guys, I should know better and I have searched with no luck finding but can you direct me re who sells GT kits for headlights. I am well into rewiring and have always thought that may be the way to go.
What are the pros/cons of going with the GT kit?
As always many thanks, Grant
Eric_Shea
Mittlemotor.

That said, Mark Whitesell may have a pair available still. Mikey914 here.
Eric_Shea
Pros - Less weight
Cons - Gotta get out and push them down, and they cost money. wink.gif
ChrisFoley
You can get them here
Haudiosolutions
Other than novelty, I cant see a reason to spend that much on a GT headlight kit for the weight reduction of a healthy bowl movement. confused24.gif That ranks up there with spoilers on FWD cars. Only makes sense if you're building an exact replica. JMO...
Not saying my car is without faults, overspending in unimportant areas, or a perfect example... I guess I mean, Make it your own.. beer.gif
ConeDodger
I'm wondering what they used for a pull in the interior 'back-in-the-day'. It doesn't come in the kit. Eric? what did you do? confused24.gif
ConeDodger
Mr. Haudiosolutions since the weight of the headlight assembly removed for this is roughly 10#, I suspect you are not one to be messed with. Surviving a 10# bow(e)l movement would make you one bad dude!!! lol-2.gif
bdstone914
QUOTE(NS914 @ Jul 17 2013, 01:02 PM) *

Hey Guys, I should know better and I have searched with no luck finding but can you direct me re who sells GT kits for headlights. I am well into rewiring and have always thought that may be the way to go.
What are the pros/cons of going with the GT kit?
As always many thanks, Grant

I have been offered an original kit to borrow for purposes of duplicating. It it not a project I want to take on. Anyone else interested, Mikey? interested in access to a real one?
Bruce

Picture is here
http://www.pbase.com/9146gt/my9146gt_mecha..._headlights_kit
montoya 73 2.0
I see that some people (other than eric in previous threads) say that the drawback (other than the cost) is that you have to get out of the car to shut the lights by hand. Is it just me, if you turn the lights off are you not getting out of the car anyways? The only situation I can think of that you wouldn't get out is when your going through a long tunnel or your driving early enough to have the sun rise while driving. I bought a kit so I don't have to re-wire the burnt harness wires from the P.O. and do away with those motors for situations just like this one.
Mikey914
I have one that I've been holding onto. I took a look at these and there are no less than 15 parts that will require fabrication, they are kind of cool, but for the expense, the cool factor decreases. I could make these, but the set up to make these say I can sell 50 of these. The cost still would be several hundred dollars a unit due to the fabrication cost. As these are already being made, and given the investment in time and dollars, decided it was not worth digging into these. If there was an interest I would put together another group buy, we'd be looking at 10 units, these would be somewhere in the $425 range+ shipping.
patrick3000
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 18 2013, 01:02 AM) *

I have one that I've been holding onto. I took a look at these and there are no less than 15 parts that will require fabrication, they are kind of cool, but for the expense, the cool factor decreases. I could make these, but the set up to make these say I can sell 50 of these. The cost still would be several hundred dollars a unit due to the fabrication cost. As these are already being made, and given the investment in time and dollars, decided it was not worth digging into these. If there was an interest I would put together another group buy, we'd be looking at 10 units, these would be somewhere in the $425 range+ shipping.

If you put together a group buy I would like one, $425 sounds reasonable.
NS914
Hi Guys, was away on business and did not get back to this until now....no wonder it has taken me 10 years to get this far.....lol

As Drew said, my main thing is that I am taking the wiring all apart now and in many ways it would be nice to get rid of that mess at the headlights....weight is not a problem...ok, my weight is a problem but that is another story!

I did not know about the inability to pull the lights back down from inside the car so that is a little bit of a pain....not a big one but something to mull over...I wonder if a Marine Cable would enable you to pull them back down?

As always, thanks for your replies and the humour!!! Grant
shuie
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ Jul 18 2013, 12:02 AM) *

If there was an interest I would put together another group buy, we'd be looking at 10 units, these would be somewhere in the $425 range+ shipping.

I'll take (1) kit if we can do another group buy.
jm993rs
With goo price I would buy too one kit of this.............. blink.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.