Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removable
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
I tried this a few years ago with some success. I have more time to kill nowadays and thought I'd give it another try. I like the way it turned out so far. I used an old roof that I cut up and had the rest made of "sunbrella" at the local upholstery shop. It's supposed to be "water resistant". Maybe I'll have a chance to find out if it ever rains here again. biggrin.gif I tested it a speed today on the highway and it did fine. It bows up like most ragtops at 70mph and didn't seem to flap at all. It doesn't take up much room in the trunk. Kinda reminds me of an old British sports car top. LOL
montoya 73 2.0
Nice!
r_towle
Elliot,

Normally I really like what you have done, both the black car and the yell one...both cool.

But I have to ask...
Why do this and WTF is the point?

RIch
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 17 2013, 08:40 PM) *

Elliot,

Normally I really like what you have done, both the black car and the yell one...both cool.

But I have to ask...

RIch

Normally, I don't really care what people think about what I've done to my car and this is no exception. But since you had to ask, I think the fifth picture should explain it. Besides the fact that I simply enjoy doing stuff for, in or on the car. Some people cannot stow the roof in the rear trunk because the trunk has been cut up for whatever reason and there is no room. So, they either have to leave the roof installed, or leave it at home. Then it rains. It's just an alternate solution if you like to drive with the roof off as I do. That pretty much sums up, WTF the point is. av-943.gif
Cheers, Elliot
dlkawashima
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 17 2013, 08:40 PM) *

But I have to ask...
Why do this

I can see a reason for doing this: Golf. My bag fits in the rear trunk, but it won't fit in there with the targa top. So either I have to drive to the course without any top or drive to the course with the top up. Now think Monterey Peninsula and you can see how it would be a shame to have to drive it on a beautiful summer day with the top up. I suppose I could leave the top at home and bring a car cover, but I think Elliot's solution provides a little more security.

Along these lines I'd like to see someone come up with something like a Jeep Wrangler Bikini Top for the 914 ..... for those days when you want to drive with the top down but don't want the full force of the sun beating down on you.
VaccaRabite
I really like that. I love how it keeps your trunk usable.
Post your plans on how you built it.
tomeric914
How about more like the Boxster Spyder top? Use the front portion of the targa top and stretch it over the targa bar to a couple of attachment points out back?

IPB Image

IPB Image
Cupomeat
QUOTE(tomeric914 @ Jul 18 2013, 01:49 PM) *

How about more like the Boxster Spyder top? Use the front portion of the targa top and stretch it over the targa bar to a couple of attachment points out back?

That would be really cool for a 914
richardL
This is just like the Lotus Elise soft top - only the Elise has two front to back fibreglass stays to support the roof and keep it under tension in a slight bow

It works incredibly well
Elliot Cannon
I really like that boxter top. Maybe it can be my next WTF project. happy11.gif av-943.gif
billh1963
Looks a lot like the old Triumph Surrey tops. I like it!

Click to view attachment
Zimms
Didn't the early 911 Targa tops fold in half? I've looked at them and always thought it would be nice to have a targa that folded in the middle so it could be put in the front.

This Pelican restoration threadhas some photos showing the 911 framework.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Zimms @ Jul 18 2013, 02:39 PM) *

Didn't the early 911 Targa tops fold in half? I've looked at them and always thought it would be nice to have a targa that folded in the middle so it could be put in the front.

This Pelican restoration threadhas some photos showing the 911 framework.

I had a friend with one in the early seventies and he said not many would fold it because it caused creases that would eventually leak.
7TPorsh
I kinda like the spyder / jeep bikini top type.
PanelBilly
I think you have too much time on your hands. Why don't you come to Seattle and work on my car?

I have an extra bed and will feed you
euro911
I like it, Elliot thumb3d.gif

I happen to have a spare top, an assortment of cutting tools, a lot of aluminum flat stock and an upholstery supply store near by ... and like Elliot, I'm also retired biggrin.gif

I've had the desire for a similar top for a few years as well. I'll probably fabricate one like this to start out with, but I've seen other similar designs (Garold Shaffer has one too), that I'll study a little more before trying to fabricate a fresh design that will incorporate the best features from all of them. The new design will have some sort of skeleton scissor-frame with foldaway center supports for more rigidity popcorn[1].gif
ConeDodger
I like it! smilie_pokal.gif looks like the Sunbrella fabric could use some tightening but pretty cool...
GeorgeRud
Actually, the concept copying the Boxster Spyder's top would appear very doable. You could incorporate attachment points at the outer edges of the engine grill, and just need a solid piece to attach to the windshield header. If only used for sudden rainstorms, I think it would serve quite well. Now, I just have to find an old top and a friendly upholsterer to give it a try!
MoveQik
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jul 18 2013, 11:17 AM) *

I really like that boxter top. Maybe it can be my next WTF project. happy11.gif av-943.gif

I can't wait to see the rest of your WTF, useless ideas! Let's talk about it over a beer in Durango. biggrin.gif
sixnotfour
QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jul 20 2013, 10:35 AM) *

I can't wait to see the rest of your WTF, useless ideas! Let's talk about it over a beer in Durango. biggrin.gif

Since he has so much time , I think he should stop by Beaver Utah and grab your little fold up stool off the roof of the Hotel, As it will look very big next to the small top. lol-2.gif
MoveQik
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jul 20 2013, 12:26 PM) *

QUOTE(MoveQik @ Jul 20 2013, 10:35 AM) *

Since he has so much time , I think he should stop by Beaver Utah and grab your little fold up stool off the roof of the Hotel, As it will look very big next to the small top. lol-2.gif

Damn I miss that stool......
rdomeck
The 911 targa's up through 89 or 90 had fold up tops to store in the hood. They do pretty well if covered correctly. I think one could find an old frame and modify it to work and would end up looking factory....

Although the 911 frames installed in the back the same the front does, i.e. flush with the roof line not on top!

Nice job and execution!
rdomeck
Ok, never mind on the used top. Those things have gotten way to expensive!
CptTripps
I think this is a very cool idea, and I'd buy one if they wee available. Space savings is the key.
rick 918-S
I have a 911 targa here. The tops are a joke compared to our targa top. Heavy, bunch of moving parts to wear out and if not installed with the correct seals will leave the car at over 100 mph. If I owned a 911 targa I would weld on a proper roof.
bandjoey
Cool idea. Just for style, I'd have the canvas flap over the front and rear hard parts, add a couple of snaps to the front and corners, and then it's a complete rag top. It has a kinda funky look with the targa front and rear. Otherwise, great project.
BuddyV
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 17 2013, 07:40 PM) *

Elliot,

But I have to ask...

RIch

I find it a very sensible idea.... love that the top is removable on the 914, but don't want to have to lug it around if I could use the trucks to carry gear for a summer weekend trip.

Just last week I was wondering what to do with a spare top that I have.... center was crushed. Until now, I thought it would become another usuless broken part in my garage..... drunk.gif

Cheers to another idea that will waste another weekend in the garage! aktion035.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.