Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hero GoPro 3
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Randal

I'm getting really tired sending my little Nikon camera back to LA to have it repaired. It works fine for video, but then it won't open, probably because the car is stiff and likely is causing the gears that open the lens to jam.

So was looking at the Hero GoPro3, but was hopeful that people on this board would have opinions on the unit.

My use is primarily for Autoxing so would really like something that can be turned on easily, unlike the Nikon which requires someone outside the car to get it started. Sound quality is important as well.

Or maybe there is a nice video unit out there that works better.

All advice appreciated.
BKLA
Very easy to use, mount and play with.

DO IT!!!!
carr914
I've got a GoPro3 Black. I haven't had a Need to use the Remote yet, but I'm sure I will. I have a Number of Mounts - Suction, RollBar, Hard Mounts. I also bought the Tethers, but haven't used them yet either

Is your Nikon a CoolPix L1? I haven't used it in a car, but I'm having the same problem with it not opening
nolift914
Go with the GoPro, I have the 1st gen which is great, I am sure the hero3 is better!
Randal
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 18 2013, 08:19 AM) *

I've got a GoPro3 Black. I haven't had a Need to use the Remote yet, but I'm sure I will. I have a Number of Mounts - Suction, RollBar, Hard Mounts. I also bought the Tethers, but haven't used them yet either

Is your Nikon a CoolPix L1? I haven't used it in a car, but I'm having the same problem with it not opening

It's a CoolPix S4100. The lens opening mechanism is actually pretty nice, but thinking it's not designed for the way I'm using it! biggrin.gif I mean what else is new?

jpnovak
I have a Contour GPS. Really like the adustable gain to prevent wind noise. Great picture quality. Just as easy to mount as the GoPro. Probably less marketing.
okieflyr
I got one this summer and like it. It does use up the standard battery pretty quick, 5-6 auto-x runs should be fine. I added the bigger battery and really enjoy the I-phone interface. I just trust the phone remote because I can see the video is on for confirmation. It allows for full semi-real time viewing (1-2 second delay) and programming. I've not found any volume adjustment yet so it 's either on or off during filming at this point unless I find otherwise. Don't skimp on card quality.
mepstein
I've sold hundreds of go pros at the ski shop. they are the camera to get. many options and are the leader of the industry. You must use a high quality card. many people have multiple cards and batteries. smart phone and wireless remote are just icing on the cake.
brant
The go pro doesn't sync up automatically with track mate. So if that is a future upgrade you intend you might look elsewhere. I don't know if the 3 has good sound. It probably takes an external mic which could be an added expense.
Andyrew
I have a Gopro 1 1080p and a gopro2.

I dont see much need for a gopro 3 for most uses, the gopro 2 IMHO is better than the 1 in quality a hair but in the fact you can put a mic on it and pull sound from anywhere. I've ran a $5 non amplified mic to a 20ft line and had no distortion in sound quality.

wndsrfr

It's a CoolPix S4100. The lens opening mechanism is actually pretty nice, but thinking it's not designed for the way I'm using it! biggrin.gif I mean what else is new?

I ran across a good tip for a balky lens opening mechanism on the small digital cameras.....the tiniest bit of dust will cause the problem.......so, just put your vacuum cleaner house up to it & cycle it....works wonders.
mepstein
Get the 3 Black.
Randal
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 19 2013, 01:26 PM) *

I dont see much need for a gopro 3 for most uses, the gopro 2 IMHO is better than the 1 in quality a hair but in the fact you can put a mic on it and pull sound from anywhere. I've ran a $5 non amplified mic to a 20ft line and had no distortion in sound quality.

Where do you get that $5.00 mic and cable? Tks.
Randal
QUOTE(wndsrfr @ Jul 19 2013, 05:26 PM) *

I ran across a good tip for a balky lens opening mechanism on the small digital cameras.....the tiniest bit of dust will cause the problem.......so, just put your vacuum cleaner house up to it & cycle it....works wonders.

I'll try that, thanks. But I'm going to get a more rugged video camera. Annoying when you make a good run on a hillclimb and find that the camera is broken. smash.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 18 2013, 07:53 AM) *

I'm getting really tired sending my little Nikon camera back to LA to have it repaired. It works fine for video, but then it won't open, probably because the car is stiff and likely is causing the gears that open the lens to jam.

So was looking at the Hero GoPro3, but was hopeful that people on this board would have opinions on the unit.

My use is primarily for Autoxing so would really like something that can be turned on easily, unlike the Nikon which requires someone outside the car to get it started. Sound quality is important as well.

Or maybe there is a nice video unit out there that works better.

All advice appreciated.

I just picked up this Sony for a little over $200. WiFi, Zeiss lens, slow motion, imagine stabilzer, easy to use.

IPB Image
Andyrew
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 19 2013, 10:29 PM) *

Ebay. Non amplified mics.

Lets see..
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p20...0&_from=R40

and

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=10FT+...on&_sacat=0
(I got this one)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-High-power-Mi...=item35c9ea6351

mskala
Go for:
Small
Lightweight
No moving parts

if you want it to last in a high-vibration environment. I've been a
big fan of the bullet cams, haven't had any problems in 10 years.
Separate recorder, put it near you if no remote control to turn it
on/off.

Of course probably none of this exists for HD.
ConeDodger
I have two of them. Perfect! aktion035.gif
McMark
Cambo made a vid, for reference. I think the 3 has two lens angles if that looks too wide-angle.

Thread
Randal
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jul 24 2013, 08:26 AM) *

QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 19 2013, 10:29 PM) *

Ebay. Non amplified mics.

Lets see..
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p20...0&_from=R40

and

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=10FT+...on&_sacat=0
(I got this one)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-High-power-Mi...=item35c9ea6351

Tks for the info.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.