Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Frustrated...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I had a very short list of things I wanted when I got back from Iraq. One of those things was to drive my 914.

Well, it looks like it's not going to happen this year. Again.

I used to say that I loved working on my 914 as much as I loved driving it. I've said that for years. The spring before I deployed, I had the clutch explode and between clutch job parts and new shocks, that was a 2400 dollar hole in my wallet. Working on the car quit being a joy, and was really becoming a pain.

Between working all day, two college classes, I haven't had a lot of time to work on the car since I got back. But that's not the whole truth. It's just not fun anymore. I hate going out to my rented the garage. Just the thought of working on my car makes me cringe.

It's winter in Kansas, it's snowed twice and there has been salt on the roads. But today we got to an amazing 50 degrees. I decided to give working on the car one last shot.

I had finished draining the old fuel out. Put new premium fuel in today. It still runs like shit. I've adjusted the valves multiple times, and seem to get it worse each time. I'm pretty sure the timing is off, too. Apparently, the problem is simply my lack of ability to perform the most simple maintenance functions on this car. I hate it. I hate working on it. I hate not knowing WHY things are wrong. I don't have the money to simply throw new parts at a problem until something gets fixed.

This afternoon I picked up a hammer off the workbench and walked towards the engine compartment with every intention of attacking this fucking car that mocks me at every opportunity.

All I could do was drop my head and walk away. Screw it. Maybe in the spring.

-Lawrence
SirAndy
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 4 2004, 02:15 PM)
This afternoon I picked up a hammer off the workbench and walked towards the engine compartment with every intention of attacking this fucking car that mocks me at every opportunity.

noooooooo .... ohmy.gif

trailer her to the WCC and have brad fix her up while you're here in sunny CA!
rolleyes.gif Andy
watsonrx13
Lawrence, sorry for your frustration.... I know it's difficult to want something, get it, but not completely enjoy it. Put the hammer down, take some time off and don't worry about the car right now. Winter can be a very depressing time; relax, grap a beer and enjoy the family, friends and the country you went away to protect. Things will look better in the spring. This is a great site (thanks for helping keep it this way) and soon you'll have club members offering assistance....

(now for the smilies)... beer.gif beerchug.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif flag.gif beer3.gif mueba.gif mueba.gif
gregrobbins
Lawrence, been there, felt that......

But, once it is running right, taking that first 35 MPH curve at 60+ and feeling in complete control, driving.gif then the evil thoughts go away.

Disclaimer: Done under controlled conditions by a professional driver. Sure. rolleyes.gif
Lou W
You did the right thing by walking away, give it a break, close the garage door and don't work on it untill your ready. Asside from driving it, working on it should be fun too. Give yourself time to adjust to being back home, and enjoy the Holidays. beerchug.gif
VegasRacer
Lawrence, I wish I could say that I don't understand what you are talking about, but that would not be true. I never claimed that I enjoy working on my car. I do like it when I can fix something. I hate it when I can't. The worst if when I try to do repairs and only fuck it up worse and then have to pay even more to have somebody else fix what I broke. Relax. Don't let the frustration get to you. Things will look better tomorrow. I promise.
Jeroen
why not take it to a shop for a tune up. let them set the carbs/ignition and, if needed, the valves

what ever you do, hang in there...
anthony
I second that option. When I bought my 911 the best thing I did was have the mechanic do a full service. He even found a leaky fuel accumulator that could have resulted in an engine fire. I should have two years where all I will have to do myself is change the oil before I need to learn how to adjust the valves on a flat six.
Gint
Hang in there bud. You'll get past this. You've been through worse and survived.
qa1142
Hang in there, keep working and you will learn.

30 years ago I got my first car a 1962 beetle. ran like crap so I pulled the motor. When I split the case I found every bolt... but one and cracked the case with wooden wedges trying to split it. I swore that was it and I was done forever.

Now I am slow patient and not a bad mechanic - its just a hobby for me.

Take a deep breath, and go back with clear head. work thorugh one issue at a time and she will love you forever.

Really, we are all there with you. beerchug.gif
StratPlayer
Lawrence,, I wish I had a nickel for everytime I felt exactly the same way... Hang in there..... The good times with your teener are ahead of you.
Eric_Shea
I like the idea of volunteering Brad to work on her... laugh.gif smash.gif
Deano
We've all been there, just try to remember the euphoric feeling when you find the problem and take it for that first perfectly tuned ride. Take a break and come back only when you're in the mood for some wrench time. It should always be fun.
campbellcj
I worked on my car today for the first time since mid-Sept (when it suddenly crapped out on the track...twice). [Well technically last weekend I put the muffler back on, but that's a routine swap not really "work" per se].

Sometimes ya just have to give it a rest. I know you were away from the teener for a LONG time but even when you're home, you really have to be in a certain mood to dick around with these things.

And in typical fashion, just in case I might have a chance to drive it tomorrow, it just started raining again...
John
Dude,

In the spring, if you can get the car to run to Kansas City, ring her to my shop. I'll get her purring for you, but PLEASE PLEASE don't hurt her out of frustration. If I had the room right now, I'd offer to take her for the winter, but that probably won't be possible until the spring.

I may be conned into trailering it to my place if it won't run under it's own power.

(At least I'm not all the way out in CA)

PM me if you want.
Bruce Allert
By yer title I thought it was a sex thing laugh.gif I opened it
R E A L F A S T rolleyes.gif

I think it was only a couple months ago I did the same thing and posted it too along with selling Punkin and was gonna buy a Miata. Well, thankfully, pray.gif I did not get 1 call after putting out an ad.

You'll get it Buddy.... it's all in the frame of mind smoke.gif

.....b
krk
QUOTE(anthony @ Dec 4 2004, 04:02 PM)
I second that option. When I bought my 911 the best thing I did was have the mechanic do a full service. He even found a leaky fuel accumulator that cold have resulted in an engine fire. I should have two years where all I will have to do myself is change the oil before I need to learn how to adjust the valves on a flat six.

I'll third it. I've discovered that having a competent mechanic go over the car once a year works well for me. I suppose (when I flatter myself) I'm "competent but time challenged". This means that when I work on the car, it generally has to be something I'm fairly confident that I can fix or generally "be successful at". (occasionally, I'm just too stubborn to pay someone a silly amount of money -- I changed my alternator in my six "in the car" just because it would be an outrageous bill)

But I get a base tune up (timing, valve setting, carb setting, etc) roughly once a year. It probably fixes all my learn-as-you-go Fixes™ (laugh.gif) The time in between I can devote to screwing up what was done.

Best of luck with 'er!

kim.
Dr Evil
It helps to be thankful for what you have. For example:
You - A slab with a cover over it to use to work on it, jack it up, move heavy things around on wheeled equipment with.
Me - Muddy back yard riddled with cat shit, cant move anything around, rain f-ing up my fun.

I wish I were you, cheer up. Problems are solutions in disguise.
PatW
QUOTE(Lawrence @ Dec 4 2004, 02:15 PM)

All I could do was drop my head and walk away. Screw it. Maybe in the spring.

-Lawrence

High School shop teacher liked to tell me.

"Don't let it beat you!, It's just a hunk of metal and it dosen't care about what kind of day you're having" slap.gif I can still remember seeing him rip apart motors piece-by-piece until found out was wrong. It was Him Vs. the Machine and he was not going to loose.

Next time, get that 914 runnin-right! OK?. We know you can do it!.

Pat
Bleyseng
Airfares are dirt cheap at the moment Rusty, fly Brads ass out for a weekend of tuning and fun.

Geoff
boxerboy
While you are spending time away from the car I'd like to recommend a book to read. No, not a "how to fix your 914" type of book. Check out "Zen and the art of motorcycle repair."

While the title suggests this may not be what you are looking for you will see that this book really talks about any type of mechanical repair. Again, it's not a "how to" book but more about the psychology of doing your own repairs. Very enlightening!
boxerboy
Oops! I checked my book and the REAL title is "Zen and the art of motorcycle Maintenance" not repair. Anyway, check it out.
Jake Raby
I get to feeling like this too, sometimes. Its not normally a car as much as a tuniung issue or a combo that has to come apart 5 times to ever get it right..

When this happens just walk away- do that as long as you need to before coming back to it.
Rusty
Thanks for the words of advice and support. I think it's just going to sit for the winter. I can't keep screwing with it and hang onto what little bit of sanity I have left.

Maybe when the roads clear, I'll drag it out to John in KC.

Oh, and I offered to fly Brad out for a few days... that kind of fell through.

-L
Jake Raby
Smart move.. I use the forums to take my mind off BS problems. Some days I get pissed by noon and walk away with the tool box closed.

Today I goot pissed in the first hour, maybe I can go back to it after lunch time..
Michael J
I know that feeling of frustration. I have only owned my current '72 for a couple of weeks so have not gone after it with a hammer yet. Winter is a rotten time to try to work on anything in my garage. It's 40 degrees, raining, my fingers are stiff and I feel stupid when I have to keep going back to the Haynes manual to figure what goes back where. But the memory, ah the memory. I bought a '75 2.0 new and remembering how that car handled will keep me coming back to the garage.
Spring will also help when the sun decides to show it's face again.
driving.gif Hoping for spring

Mike

'72 stock adratic blue 1.7
& the memories of a'75 lt ivory 2.0
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(Michael J @ Dec 5 2004, 09:50 AM)
.....and I feel stupid when I have to keep going back to the Haynes manual to figure what goes back where.
Mike

Nah, don't feel that way. I have the Haynes manual at my desk and one in the shop. I look at it as having my memory on hard copy. No way I can remember all the stuff that's in that Lil'car.

Welcome to the Club beer.gif

....b
J P Stein
I walked away from my goatfuckugly flare job last weekend, but my punishment has not yet begun. I have 10-12 folks coming over for a PCA AX meeting in the shop today. I expect to collect some major league ragging......then the healing can begin sad.gif

These are the times that try men's souls.......
Joe Bob
Walk away...have a beer...a shot of Jack....go get a massage....hopefully one with the "happy ending".....
Tom Perso
I have the same issue...

After my 914 leaving me stranded with no car to drive my newly wedded wife away from the church (we used my mothers slightly dirty 2004 Acura TL).

After that mess was fixed, I got one lap in on my first Auto-X before I sucked 1/2 quart of oil or so down the carbs and fouled all the plugs.

It about had a "FOR SALE" sign on it... But, I packed it away in the garage and I'll look at it again.

Walking away is the best thing to do.

Later,
Tom
John
I'll be glad to help out a fellow 914 here in the midwest. We kinda need to stick together. Do you ever make it to Topeka?

We run our track events at Heartland Park.

Unlike some, I actually do LIKE working on 914's (almost as much as driving them).

What year/motor is in your car (so I can dig around for parts)?

So you are a WILDCAT?

Talk to you soon.
Eddie Williams
Get Zen here. You can either read it online, or download it in *.pdf.

Relax have a homebrew!
IronHillRestorations
Bummer Lawrence sad.gif It's a machine, and eventually you'll win the war!!

From my experience, a engine that used to run good, then sat for awhile, and then developed "timing problems", usually means carbs. Ask any experienced Porsche mechanic and he'll tell you that 60% of "timing problems" are carbs. The fact that the car sat for sometime, points the big finger of blame in that direction for me. There is still that other 40% though that will make you pull your hair out, if you let it. IIRC, you've got your hair cut fairly short, so that's a plus for you laugh.gif

Too bad you aren't closer. If it wasn't 500+ miles, I'd say drag the bitch down here, and we'll slap a can of fixit on her. biggrin.gif

PK
Trekkor
Perry's right. My SIX sat for at least 4 years before start-up. It kinda ran. Idling on three. Cleaned it up and rebuilt the carbs. Good now.

Clean the jets. blowtorch.gif

KT
Root_Werks
sad.gif Oh man, I don't like hearing about fellow teeners getting that frustrated. Sorry to hear it. Yeah, been there myself. Just step away for a while. If I was close enough, I would come over and help out. smile.gif You will get it, just takes time.
ClayPerrine
Ok.. sounds like we need to do an intervention... Everyone who can needs to converge on Rusy's house and we can tag team his 914 and get it running. Then he can take it for a drive and that will alleviate any negative feelings he is having about his car...

I am volunteering to go there after the holidays... anyone care to join me?
red914
Lawrence, i am sorry that you are frustrated, but you have done an enormous service by posting this. i had no idea that the gurus ever feel this way. i am not being sarcastic, by the way. being a novice, i often am overwhelmed by the simple acts required to maintain my car, while amazed at what many of the members of this forum do on a daily basis. hence, my 914 is still on jack stands awaiting a brake caliper rebuild. even with excellent technical advice from Perry, Dino, etc., i haven't been able to start.

i have every confidence that you will get if figured out when you have more time, fewer distractions, and unwind a bit more from your recent deplyment. don't underestimate the effect that you time away may have had.

thanks for the encouragement, even though you may not have intended it that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.