Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Help me figure this out....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
crash914
OK, here is the scoop...I am running on 2 cylinders...

New motor
oil leaks to be fixed
before I pull the engine, i want to dial in the fuel injection(megasquirt)

OK, I am running twin throttle bodies, on 3/4 side, when I cover the stack, the motor bogs down and will die. When I cover the 1/2 side, nothing.

I have swapped the injector wires, no change
I have swapped the plug wires, no change
I have an air flow meter, no change when I rev it up.

I am guessing stuck exhaust valves? or bent intake push rods...
I can't find my compression gage right now, so I need some thoughts on what to do next...
Perhaps a poll on what is causing this...
anyway, I have more power on 2 cylinders than I used to have on 4... wub.gif
I do have fuel being injected to 1/2, I do have spark. Fuel is determined by the white cloud in the intakes, spark by the timing light.

I am thinking that I must have no compression for this type of thing to occure..got to find my gage....

Well lets have it...

103 by 80, large valve motor...163/86b cam ceramic lifters..nickies...figure it out and I will buy you a beer.gif

thanks, herb
SpecialK
I think the first thing to do is pop the valve cover, make sure all the parts are present and accounted for and have someone crank the engine (remove coil wire) to see WTF is happening.

Just a WAG, but could you have had rags, or plugs of some sort stuffed in the intakes and forgot to remove them during assembly?
ejm
something easy like the plug wires are swapped? wrong firing order.....?
SGB
Bent things would cause all kinds of horrible noises. Are you sure you have spark? If thats working, look for massive air leak maybe? See if the valves and PR are in place. Maybe the rocker assembly is loose and the pushrods have dropped out of the rocker cups..... What does it sound like?
skline
When you figure it out, let Joe Buckle know, his was the exact same thing. Runs great on 3/4 but nothing on 1/2. Run compression check. Oh, maybe it's just a coincedence but Joe's is a big bore also running 103's on a 78 crank.
Jake Raby
I'll walk you through a few things. Cakll me at 706 219 4874. I am moving in my office today, so I'll have some time to help..
Matt Romanowski
I just got home from Herbs this morning. Diagnosed it. The throttle linkage was the culprit. Fixed that and it's running much better. He's got a nice motor going. I can't wait for a ride in the car!

Matt
crash914
Big thanks to Matt....he dropped by to give me a hand...Matt has had carbs and right away started to adjust the throttle linkage...got out the air flow meter and wow! same air flow on all 4 cylinders... smilie_pokal.gif

It was too early for beer.gif so I owe you a couple beerchug.gif

Matt was looking for some motivation to tear into his motor...got some now????

Thanks again for all your ideas etc...Jake, I will give you a ring..later all herb
Matt Romanowski
Actually....

I went right home and started. Pulled the heads and cylinders. Didn't find anything good though. One "special" 2 peice top ring and cracks in both heads.

Matt
crash914
Bummer...Now you can get some special head work done to make it really rock!

Here is the address I was thinking of...

www.HAMINC.biz

He should be able to set you up with repairs to your heads.

If you need to borrow a set of heads, I got 'em...I don't have any rings though except stock.
Let me know if you need a hand,

Thanks, again, herb
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.