Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: F/S Tweet's Lock Re-Key / Repair / Restoration Services
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
Pages: 1, 2, 3
tweet
Does your trunk lock look like something has been chewing on it? Does it stick? Thinking of taking a hammer to it, because it won't close, or worse won't open? Have you nicked yourself on the bubbled chrome? Is it an eyesore on your prized 914? Or perhaps, you have missing, broken parts. Maybe you're carrying multiple keys?

I can repair, restore, or re-key your locks, handles and ignition cylinders. I can also re-key your mismatched locks and handles to match your master key. Don't have a master key? I can take care of that too.

All work is by estimate, and does require that the buyer mail in his/her locks/handles/key for repair.
Turnaround time is 1-2 weeks for re-key services; 2-4 weeks for restoration/repair services; re-chroming is 8-10 weeks. Return shipping will be by, U.S. Postal Service Priority Mail Flat Rate shipping with insurance and tracking, in the United States. International requests will vary by country and require U.S. Registered/Insured Mail dependent upon availability.

NOTE: You must have a valid email account to receive the estimate. You will need to provide pictures of your locks, handles, keys etc. upon request, to receive your estimate. Your return shipping costs will be included in your estimate. If you have questions, feel free to message me.

If all you are in need of is strictly a re-key or basic service, send me a pm.

Example Prices: from these prices.
Re-key Services:
ignition cylinder - $55 (70-71)
$40 (72-74)
$45 (75-76)

$95 (914/6) If already removed from steering lock assembly
If not, $15 additional to drill and remove embedded roll pin

door handles, left or right - $30

trunk, rear - $35

trunk, front - $27

glove box - $22

Rebuild internals Add $20 per lock for above prices (includes all new brass tumblers and springs)/ $30 for 914/6 Ignition

Basic Repair Services:
Inspect, clean, lubricate, reassemble any lock assembly - $15/lock

Other Services available:
Replace door handle lock cylinder seal $5/seal
Replace trunk lock cylinder seal and/or chamber seal $5/seal
Replace door handle cam - (part and labor) - $25
Replace trunk lock cam - (part and labor) - $25
Replace missing damaged hardware and/or parts - varies by part needed
Replace damaged internals - varies by part needed

Restoration / Custom Services:
All restoration is by estimate only. A quote cannot be given without visual evidence of the extent of damage to lock assemblies.

Thanks,
Dan
7TPorsh
So what would the costs be for say re-keying a lock or 4?

These should be straight forward.

I can see having estimates on restoration services, but re-key?
tweet
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jul 18 2013, 06:24 PM) *

So what would the costs be for say re-keying a lock or 4?

These should be straight forward.

I can see having estimates on restoration services, but re-key?

While it may appear as simple as that, it is not. There are locks that may need to be re-keyed, but they may also be missing parts internally and externally. There is no way to guess the condition of a lock from thin air. There are also many locks that are missing tumblers, especially the valet tumblers which are NLA, and are very difficult to come by, or have to be made individually by hand. So an estimate for a re-key, may involve more than meets the eye. That is why an estimate is necessary. I'm not looking to play games with anyone, just provide a service that I have already provided for a couple of different members. There is a need from what I can see. I think $5 for an estimate that can be applied toward a service performed, is very reasonable. Hope this helps.
mepstein
Very good idea. thanks
bdstone914
Dan,

If you are going to offer this as an ongoing service you should post it in the Member/Vendor section too.

Bruce
tweet
Bump for ad edit
DamonsCarrera
I have been a customer of Dan's, having bought tumblers, locks and a re-key from him. He is a great resource for us 914 owners who haven't got the time or inclination to do the work ourselves, and he does excellent work. I highly recommend his services.

-Damon
tweet
QUOTE(DamonsCarrera @ Aug 14 2013, 05:52 PM) *

I have been a customer of Dan's, having bought tumblers, locks and a re-key from him. He is a great resource for us 914 owners who haven't got the time or inclination to do the work ourselves, and he does excellent work. I highly recommend his services.

-Damon

Thank you Damon. I appreciate the support. I'm glad I could be of service.
blitZ
Do you fix broken door handles? I like the black handles pictured. Is that part of your service also?
tweet
QUOTE(blitZ @ Nov 5 2013, 07:58 AM) *

Do you fix broken door handles? I like the black handles pictured. Is that part of your service also?

Hello,
I do have parts to fix locks and handles. I can also replace missing hardware and degraded seals and damaged tumblers. The black handles are a set I made for myself, and I also offer as a custom service.
tweet
Link back to a post by a satisfied customer for lock restoration services:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...=2&t=224118
Click to view attachment
tweet
bump for good work at a fair price
Evil914
I have a steering column with no key that I got from a car I parted out,should I ship it to you to get a key made? The one in my car now must have some issue with bearings/bushing etc as the wheel flops around a bit and the key doesnt match the doors,truck etc.Thanks for your time,Carl
tweet
pm sent
tweet
Doing another set of handles, for a customer. Get your locks worked on and don't get locked out. biggrin.gif
tweet
icon_bump.gif
tweet
piratenanner.gif
tweet
Another beautiful and working matched set of locks for a happy customer. These are on their way to France. piratenanner.gif
JmuRiz
Nice, once I get some other stuff done, I'll take my locks off and send them as well. Probably won't be till summer.
tweet
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Feb 18 2014, 11:08 AM) *

Nice, once I get some other stuff done, I'll take my locks off and send them as well. Probably won't be till summer.

Thanks for the props. Send them to me any time you are ready.
tweet
This customer just wanted some basic services for his own handles. He is not keeping the car long term, but did want just to use one key to operate his ignition and door handles. The handles are not original to the car, they were replaced some years ago. However, they still needed a thorough cleaning, rekey, and lube. It's so nice just having to use one key. biggrin.gif

Some before and afters.
tweet
icon_bump.gif
tweet
This customer wanted his handles re-chromed, and all of his locks serviced.
gcrotvik
Dan does great work and produces a beautiful product. I purchased a reconditioned (re-chromed/rebuilt/rekeyed) rear trunk lock from him and it is nicer than OE new. I highly recommend his products and services.

Greg

tweet
icon_bump.gif
tweet
ad updated
tweet
Here is a series of before and after pictures of some basic services.
This trunk lock was in pieces when I received it. It was very dirty, the seals were rotted the lock cylinder was oxidized with one tumbler frozen in place. There was also at least one spring broken. Although, still a potentially usable trunk lock for a daily driver, it would never have functioned correctly without a proper refurbishing. The customer also did not have a master, so the lock was re-keyed to a valet duplicate he supplied.

Service performed:
Dis-assembly of all internal and external components
Cleaning of all parts
Inspection
Remove and replace all tumblers and springs with new
Remove and replace seals with new
Full lubrication of all parts
Replaced missing countersunk screw
Polished face cap
Reassembled trunk lock
Checked for functionality

total cost; $47
(including USPS Priority Mail shipping with $100 insurance and tracking)
tweet
Here's a little something for you hard core 914 perfectionists. If you want nothing but the best lock for your baby, without buying a brand new one at $550-$575 plus tax/shipping at the Porsche dealer, Pelican or AA.

This is the whole enchilada: new everything inside and new chrome outside. Full cleaning, full lube, trunk to body gasket restored with vinyl dye, brass retaining nut polished and retaining sleeve is also chromed. Also, includes keying to your key for a matched set of locks.
tweet
Repeat customer, who was having trouble with his VW ignition lock. He could not start his vehicle. Here is the ignition after repairs, re-key and a good cleaning w/ lube.
tweet
This lock work was done for a customer, who first went to a locksmith. He found me on Ebay. He essentially sent me a box of locks and handles in pieces. His ignition lock was in a state of disrepair; actually damaged by the locksmith with missing tumblers and springs. He was also missing the hardware to his handles. So, I managed to salvage the ignition, which he now has as a backup. He also had me restore his trunk lock and have part of it re-chromed.
ky914porsche
Dan, I received the rear trunk lock recently for my 1975 914, installed it, and it works just fine! It's keyed to match my ignition key. Now I can finally lock my rear trunk. Thanks.
tweet
Another beautiful matched lock set assembled from a mess of locks with no keys and damaged handles.
rhodyguy
nice work.
tweet
icon_bump.gif
Don't get locked out of your car, get your locks worked on!
eyesright
Before

Click to view attachment

After

Click to view attachment

Its great to have some expertise available when you don't know what the dickens to do. Dan came thru with parts for the ignition and extra tumblers so that I can rekey the door locks. In fact, I'm thinking about rekeying both cars to the same key just to make life easier. Thanks, Dan.

tweet
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad I could be of service. aktion035.gif
tweet
All PM's replied to.
topls914
Are you able to provide the cylinders for 356 with keys>?
Thanks
Frank
tweet
QUOTE(topls914 @ Nov 17 2014, 06:36 PM) *

Are you able to provide the cylinders for 356 with keys>?
Thanks
Frank

Hello,
I'm not currently working with 356 parts. You could check on thesamba.com or one of the 356 forums for parts.
mr2by4
Do you sell parts outright or on an exchange basis? It would be nice to not have the car down for 2 months if we are getting rechromed etc.
My passenger side is broken and may not be usable. So I might need to buy that part outright.
tweet
QUOTE(mr2by4 @ Nov 18 2014, 06:43 AM) *

Do you sell parts outright or on an exchange basis? It would be nice to not have the car down for 2 months if we are getting rechromed etc.
My passenger side is broken and may not be usable. So I might need to buy that part outright.

PM sent
tweet
Completed another restoration for a customer that found my services through Ebay.
Old Yella
Hi
Can you tell me which key should fit the trunk? My lock won't accept any key. I have both the red and black keys but appear to use the red one for every lock except the trunk. Is that supposed to be correct.
I would also send you the trunk lock for repair but I need it to open and close the bloody trunk. Do you have any spares which you could build up if I send you a key?
Cheers
OL
tweet
QUOTE(Old Yella @ Dec 14 2014, 08:19 PM) *

Hi
Can you tell me which key should fit the trunk? My lock won't accept any key. I have both the red and black keys but appear to use the red one for every lock except the trunk. Is that supposed to be correct.
I would also send you the trunk lock for repair but I need it to open and close the bloody trunk. Do you have any spares which you could build up if I send you a key?
Cheers
OL

pm sent
tweet
Here's a small job I did for an eBay customer. This is some feedback he sent me:

"Dan,
I received the locks yesterday. Everything works and looks great. The new keys function in the door and ignition very well. I appreciate your attention to detail and you commitment to the work. When I or my friends need lock work you will be the first to call.
thank you
D*****n"
AND
"Great work THE ONLY one to have locks repaired."
tweet
Before and After of a trunk lock and t-handle restoration.
forrestkhaag
Dan and Alicia recently reworked all of my locks to return them to factory standards. Indeed, they were a collection of random bits added to, and swapped out, for years / now all returned to clean working order with both daily driver's key and valet keys cut to a perfection.

I highly recommend this service to straighten out the need for multiple keys or to regain security to your trunks, glove box, and ignition.

tweet
Thank you Forrest, we are glad to have been of help on your restoration project. biggrin.gif
Bulldog9
ALCON,

I sent the door handles for my 912 to Dan with the key that worked in my ignition, and within a week had my handles back rekeyed, cleaned and lubed.

Highly recommend his services!

Thanks Dan!
tweet
Hello Steve,
Thanks for the positive feedback. I'm glad I could be of service.
Below is a picture of Steve's handles after servicing.

smile.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.