Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WHATTTTT is that exhaust too loud?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
john914somers
Sooo... I'm looking at all the different exhaust/muffler options for my 914/3.2 and I've heard that the noise ordinances at most of the tracks are becoming more stringent. What do you guys know about this and can anybody recommend a dual muffler set-up that is "free flowing" but yet will not DQ me at any of the local (Cali.) tracks??? Thanks for your input.
r_towle
Whatever you use, mount turned down tailpipes, ones that you can change for each track base upon where the sound measuring device sits in relation to the car on the track....

Some meters are infield, some are outfield,
Turn your tailpipes away from the meter
Trekkor
Thunderhill and Sonoma Raceway are both 103dBA.
Laguna is usually 92dBA.

My car runs dual glasspack megaphones and hits 99dBA at WOT under load. ( Carbs, so even loader )

I run a dual quiet pack for Laguna and it hits 88dBA.

Exceeding 103 is pretty tough, 92. Not so hard.

KT
Randal
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jul 19 2013, 08:02 PM) *

Thunderhill and Sonoma Raceway are both 103dBA.
Laguna is usually 92dBA.

My car runs dual glasspack megaphones and hits 99dBA at WOT under load. ( Carbs, so even loader )

I run a dual quiet pack for Laguna and it hits 88dBA.

Exceeding 103 is pretty tough, 92. Not so hard.

KT

Individual Flowmasters and the big 911 air intake (mounted backwards with K&N filter and huge turbo bellmouth). Also put McMaster Carr egg crate sound deadening any place where the sound can bounce off the track and back up into the car. We had no trunk on The Beast, so it was an echo chamber. With all that you might make 92dBA at Laguna. Funny that most of the sound was coming from the TB and it was the most beautiful sound you ever heard. biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
brant
I'm so glad my trip to Laguna in June at the Legends event was a "open sound" day...

what a headache you guys have adapted to.
Randal
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 19 2013, 10:49 PM) *

I'm so glad my trip to Laguna in June at the Legends event was a "open sound" day...

Do you know Pat Costin who runs a couple of different 911's? He was there running his IMSA car.
brant
QUOTE(Randal @ Jul 20 2013, 09:04 AM) *

QUOTE(brant @ Jul 19 2013, 10:49 PM) *

Do you know Pat Costin who runs a couple of different 911's? He was there running his IMSA car.

The name somehow sounds familiar. But I don't think I've met him
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.