Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: cheese heads in engine tin
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
qa1142
Damn, likely tightened 30 years ago!

Impact driver? big ass screw driver? This old motor is too greasy to risk heat welder.gif

i don't want to leave 1/2 in the case.

Suggestions?
Mueller
QUOTE(qa1142 @ Dec 4 2004, 04:22 PM)
Damn, likely tightened 30 years ago!

Impact driver? big ass screw driver? This old motor is too greasy to risk heat welder.gif

i don't want to leave 1/2 in the case.

Suggestions?

yep, you answered your own question smile.gif

I have a large screwdriver that I can put another screwdriver thru the handle for some extra torque....

good luck smash.gif
Rhodes71/914
Biggest screwdriver you can fit in the slot, maybe a little penatrant (sp)
Eric_Shea
MAP torch. Works everytime. Everytime.
eeyore
Use the largest craftsman screwdrive and BFH.

Stripped bolt removers work well too.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?...pid=00952166000
ChrisFoley
Try tightening them just a little before loosening them. This often breaks the corrosion bond and makes it easier to remove them. The same applies to brake line fittings.
914werke
Very carefully biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
I use a 1/2" drive, hand held impact screwdriver with the largest tip I can get in the screw. It too, works everytime. Like Chris said, try tightening it first.
URY914
I have a big ass screwdriver that has a hex section on the shaft right under the handle. I think it is made by SK Tools. You can put a box end wrench on it and really put some force behind it.

P
morgan
YA, Be carefull how you say cheese heads Wisconsin you know!!!

JOHN
Dave-O
Who said cheeseheads!! happy11.gif

GO PACK GO!
Doug Leggins
Impact screwdriver works pretty well.

I also like a 3/8" drive screwdriver tool that I have. Can get alot of torque easy with this tool and a 3/8" ratchet.
tracks914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Dec 4 2004, 03:41 PM)
I use a 1/2" drive, hand held impact screwdriver with the largest tip I can get in the screw. It too, works everytime. Like Chris said, try tightening it first.

agree.gif
This is the best way to get them off. Tightening first only breaks the head off too many times. Heat damages wires and rubber. Impact screwdrivers are a must for any workshop and only cost about $10.
Dave_Darling
Just make sure the tip is the correct size for the slot in the screw.

The only screwdriver that I could find with a tip that was the right size was the largest one that my local Sears stocked. It's a really big mother... Not easy to use in the 914's engine bay, but not so bad when the engine is out.

I replaced all the engine tin screws that I could with Allen-head screws. Much easier to install and remove!!

--DD
Kevin@ojai.net
The progression of tools...

1st - box wrench
2nd - vice grips
3rd - smoke wrench

-Kevin
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Dec 6 2004, 12:09 AM)

I replaced all the engine tin screws that I could with Allen-head screws. Much easier to install and remove!!

--DD

Capt'n Crusty says that you will DIE because you didn't put the right screws back in the engine tin!!!! biggrin.gif
jwalters
wink.gif The absolutely easiest and safest way of breaking the corrosion hold on any fastener is to whack it in the middle a couple of times with a hammer and drift--the shockwaves break-up all that is holding the fastener in.

I never use a impact, for over five years now--got damn tire of drilling and easy-outing, re-tapping,,etc.

In your case, your big-ass screwdiver is the drift.....good luck>>> biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.