Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Cam Gear Questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ThinAir
I've got two 2-liter motors that I've torn down. One with a flat cam and one from the engine that I froze up. I thought that the cam gears would be the same, but they have different markings on them.

021 109 111 C 12H - from the flat cam engine. When I got it the engine had webers on it and I knew that the cam was not stock, but it wasn't clear just what it was.

021 109 111 B 24H - from the engine that I froze up. This one was a stock FI engine and I believe the cam and gear are stock.

Doing a web search, I found a listing at www2.cip1.com that indicates the "C" gear is for a 72-79 VW bus. I can't seem to find anything on the "B" gear.

So does it make any difference which gear I use? I'm planning on getting an Elgin "031" cam through HPH. It's supposed to match up real well with my basically stock 2.0L that will have slightly higher compression (because of Euro pistons) and stock D-Jet FI.

I get the impression from Rich at HPH that the cam will be matched to the letter on the gear, but I want to make sure if there is any reason that I should be using one gear over the other.
ThinAir
icon_bump.gif
type47
you might want to search and see if the different letters at the end of the part number stand for different "offset" or something like "backlash". if i remember, there are different letters that stand for -6 to +6 (could be -3 to +3) which is about how the gears mesh
ThinAir
That's exactly the kind of thing Rich mentioned when he said he needed to know the last letter in the part number. I know I can ask him about it on Monday, but I was hoping to figure out before than if there was a reason not to use the "C" gear. I'd like to ship him my core stuff on Monday instead of Tuesday. WCC2005 is getting closer every day and I still don't have the engine reassembly started.
Jake Raby
The B gear is magnesium and is junk. The H gear should be aluminum and reusable.

The +/- on the gears for backlash and gear mesh are found on the OD of the gear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.