Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting troubles "revised"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
Please help me here,

I seem to have found the problem. I carefully set the points to spec, and as I rotate the dizzy counter clockwise the car will start to run. It wont stay running and I think this may be a timing issue. I can only move it say 90 + degrees and then it hits the throttle body.

Any suggestions?
Mueller
do you have the wires correct?

when it's about to fire on #1, the rotor should be facing the viewing hole for the fan
Demick
When you built the motor, you should have installed the gear that goes at the base of the distributor in a way that would have allowed the timing to be set properly. If you did this, then you know what I'm talking about. If you installed that gear with the wrong alignment, then you need to pull it out and rotate it.

First thing I would do is rotate the engine to TDC. The only way to know for sure it is at TDC is to pull the valve cover on the drivers side and rotate the engine until the zero degree timing mark on the fan is lined up with the timing notch - and then make sure both valves for #1 cylinder are closed (can wiggle the rockers and feel the gap). If both valves aren't closed, then you need to rotate the engine one full turn and align the zero degree timing mark again. This time both valves should be closed. Now your engine is at TDC. Pull the distributor cap and look at where the rotor is pointing. Is it pointing toward the notch in the distributor body which indicates where #1 is? If not, and if the distributor cannot be rotated to line up the rotor with the notch, then adjust the distributor body to about the middle of it's adjustment and make a mental note on how far off the rotor is. Now remove the distributor and use a magnet to pull the distributor gear out of the bore. Rotate it the however far is necessary and reinstall it. Note: it will twist as it is removed, and will need to twist again as it goes back in. Make sure once it is seated, that it has rotated the proper amount.

Warning: the washer at the base of this distributor gear can easily fall off and into the engine case when you do this. Be aware of that gear and be careful. You don't want to tear down your engine to remove this washer!

Now put the distributor back in. Your engine should still be at TDC, and your distributor rotor should be pointing to the #1 notch.

But before you do all of this, be doubly sure that your plug wires are all plugged correctly. If they are not right, it can appear to be a timing problem like you are experiencing.

Good luck
Demick
newdeal2
Yes, I did and followed Jake's video to the "tee". This was done when I installed the cam if my memory is correct. As a matter of fact as I adjusted the valves I checked all of this and I am pretty confident it's correct. I will check the firing order again and hope that's all it is.
DJsRepS
If you run out of adj on the dist as an experiment try moving the plug wires one quarter or one hole to the right. If the gear is i right and TDC COMPRESSION STROKE! the rotor will point twards the timing plug. But the truth be known that gear can be dropped in any where it lands and still be timed and tuned, just #1 plug wire not in the cap where the book shows. Don't risk droping that washer in the motor. You think someone will look at your motor and say what junk look where he has his #1plug wire in the cap??
newdeal2
Yep, makes sense and that's exactly what I am planning. If I am moving the dizzy to the left and it starts to run it's a given.

I will let you know later today if things sort out.
TheCabinetmaker
Peter, what was causing the no spark yesterday?
newdeal2
Not sure...will dig further today. wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.