Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Trailer Thread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bulitt
What kind of trailer are you using? Pictures?
Been looking for a 914 size trailer for several months. Several members have purchased recently, some owned for years.

Mark Henry's-

IPB Image

TC's-

IPB Image

Bill H-

IPB Image

Green914-

IPB Image

Paul URY914

IPB Image

ScottyB

IPB Image

Ric Birks-

IPB Image

Rick 918-s
IPB Image
JRust
I've been through probably 8 trailers over the last 10 years. I've always had to jack the tongue up to keep my car from scraping when loading. Or have crazy long ramps. So I've always kept them as a fluid thing. I'd just sell it when I knew I wasn't going to need one for a few months. I finally found the perfect one. I won't ever sell it.

It's a 14x7 deck, single axle, Tilt bed with my winch installed. Car does not scrape at all & the hydrolic tilt keeps it from slamming down. When the car is loaded with the wheels right to the front. It's perfect weight wise & the door sits just in front of the wheel well so it opens. I LOVE THIS TRAILER wub.gif
Michael N
Custom built for a 914. Just long enough for the car and very compact.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
ConeDodger
biggrin.gif
campbellcj
2002 16' Carson twin-axle w/ electric brakes. All steel, built like a tank and tows great.

IPB Image
Repainted trailer by cjcam, on Flickr
Mike Bellis
This is a custom built single axle. The PO built it for his show bug. I added the aluminum box and a winch. The deck is marine grade plywood. I refinished the deck by sanding first and finishing with marine grade/penetration grade epoxy. while the epoxy set, I added sand to the mix. The finish is like grip tape. Perfect length for a 914.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
billh1963
Some good looking trailers. I'm not a fan of single axle trailers for any kind of distance towing; however, for the 914's weight and for compactness/ease of storage I imagine they work fine.
billh1963
Here's my "new" trailer with a 914 on it. I didn't waste any time putting it to use! biggrin.gif

(I won't tow with the cover on....the cover is there to keep the elements off)

Click to view attachment
Vysoc
The Featherlite and Trailex are in a class of their own, but you pay for that.

I think Featherlite makes the best trailers in the world, of course they are built in Iowa. Go Hawks!!

Nice trailers, I really like the custom made units for the 914's. My current project was delivered via URY Transport.

Hey TC nice trailer beerchug.gif Still working on the Yellow Submarine!.

Vysoc flag.gif
patrick3000
IPB Image

IPB Image

it's a 15ft Dively
VegasRacer
My previous race car and trailer.
Click to view attachment

My current trailer.
Click to view attachment

It even works for more than 914's.
Click to view attachment
slivel
Enclosed trailers are the way to go.

Click to view attachment
Mark Henry
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 21 2013, 02:39 PM) *

Some good looking trailers. I'm not a fan of single axle trailers for any kind of distance towing; however, for the 914's weight and for compactness/ease of storage I imagine they work fine.

I built my trailer in the early 90's, that bus (1st pic) came home on it from Manassas, VA, in fact I brought several cars home with it as I'd go on vacation, take it with me and bring back a car. I've never had a problem with it (knock on wood), 3500lb axle and 14" tires.

That said I know not to put a modern heavy car on it, even a Honda Civic is way to heavy for it IMO.

Mike Bellis
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jul 21 2013, 09:45 AM) *

This is a custom built single axle. The PO built it for his show bug. I added the aluminum box and a winch. The deck is marine grade plywood. I refinished the deck by sanding first and finishing with marine grade/penetration grade epoxy. while the epoxy set, I added sand to the mix. The finish is like grip tape. Perfect length for a 914.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Well, My car looked like this TODAY! mad.gif

I blew a radiator hose on the freeway. Lucky I was less than 10 miles from the house...
brant
No picture. But 24 foot enclosed with a V nose (longer). Pulled by a 2500 cummins 4 door long bed. About 2 foot short of needing a CDL. Pulls like a dream. Room to camp with the car inside. Way better than the open trailer/dual axle I ran for 10 years. Three trips to California so far at 3000 miles each trip.
euro911
I used to borrow my brother's trailer before he moved to AZ.

Click to view attachment

I opted for an enclosed 'V'-nose trailer. They cut the wind better ...

These pix were just after we installed insulation and windows in it (Summer of 2012)

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
toolguy
Home made, just for a 914. .
GaroldShaffer
My old 16' trailer hauling my Brother in-laws 914. I hauled many a 914 on it. Sold this spring when I bought my 20' trailer. I was making a box to haul some of my parts to the Hershey swap meet this year.

Old
Click to view attachment

New

Click to view attachment
peteyd
Shes ready for the road! I just need insurance now

Click to view attachment
slivel
QUOTE(scotty boy @ Jul 21 2013, 06:06 PM) *

QUOTE(slivel @ Jul 21 2013, 05:51 PM) *

Enclosed trailers are the way to go.

Click to view attachment

Is that a nose cone on that trailer? Pulling an enclosed trailer is like pulling a house. Hope that Van's transmission can take the abuse.
Yes, it is a cone nose - my tire rack is up there, with enough room underneath for fuel cans and tools/spares.
John Wood Automotive in Holtville CA did a rebuild and installed heavy duty parts. Trans is bulletproof now and with the V10 having a 10,000 tow capacity, no issues towing almost 7000 when fully loaded. Sure likes gasoline, though. 10 mpg.

Nice flares. who makes them? Sheridan?

Yes, they are.
Eric_Shea
Mine Loaded for Stoddard and Traverse City:

IPB Image

At Pop's house in Eaton Rapids, Michigan, getting ready for Parade:

IPB Image

Oooooooooops... what happened here? 60 miles East of Des Moines, the roof blows off. High winds and 75mph combined:

IPB Image

No damage to the car. New roof for the trailer:

IPB Image

My MacGyver fix got us back to Utah:

IPB Image

My "other" trailer. It also has roof problems. Steady drip, drip, drip when it rains. I need to get up top and check the solar panel mounts again! What is it with me and trailer roofs?? biggrin.gif

IPB Image
URY914
Here are some more of mine.

If I was going to get another trailer, I'd build a smaller version of mine using 10" tires and a 4" aluminum "I" beam and not the 6" ones that I have.

Click to view attachment
URY914
Mine uses all stainless steel hardware 'sept for the axles and fenders. It is all bolted together with 3/8" bolts and nylock nuts.

Click to view attachment
ChrisFoley
Custom made for my 914 race car. Weighs only 800 lbs. 2200 lb cargo capacity.
Doubles as an alignment/corner balance table. Uses radial car tires. Has about 50,000 miles on it so far.
It sways a bit because I kept the axle so far forward for ease of maneuvering by hand.
Click to view attachment
euro911
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 22 2013, 10:23 AM) *
My "other" trailer. It also has roof problems. Steady drip, drip, drip when it rains. I need to get up top and check the solar panel mounts again! What is it with me and trailer roofs?? biggrin.gif

IPB Image
Eric, I haven't mounted the solar panels on my trailer yet, but planning to bolt 'L' brackets on each side instead of on the roof. The brackets will support two shallow aluminum UniStrut cross members for the panels to bolt down to idea.gif
JoeSharp
bulitt
QUOTE(Joe Sharp @ Jul 24 2013, 08:49 AM) *

/Users/joesharp/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Masters/2013/05/21/20130521-084718/IMG_5887.JPG

Linky No Worky Joey biggrin.gif
JRust
This one is my Favorite wub.gif
carr914
Now that I have a Car Trailer again, I'll be selling my Track Trailer

Click to view attachment
bulitt
After many moons of looking found a nice 18 foot tandem axle on the cheap.

The PO has a trike so he welded on an old rusty I beam for the
front wheel to ride on. Tetanus shot waiting to happen.

And here is the center ramp for the trike, or to hold your dining room up?

Click to view attachment

So, because 914 owners cant leave anything alone, I cut off 3.5 feet sawzall-smiley.gif
And removed the I-beam. Left an 18" beavertail.
And now its the perfect size for my 914 biggrin.gif

Aluminum ramps on the way!
Anyone care to guess what the weigh ticket on this stuff will be?

Click to view attachment
URY914
30 pounds each
bulitt
Close URY, 540lbs cut off. when I put the aluminum ramps on it will weigh in @1200 lbs or about 300lbs heavier than a trailex! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

Sold that and since have bought a 7x14 Freedom Enclosed.

Click to view attachment
carr914
Click to view attachment
messix
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 22 2013, 04:58 PM) *

Custom made for my 914 race car. Weighs only 800 lbs. 2200 lb cargo capacity.
Doubles as an alignment/corner balance table. Uses radial car tires. Has about 50,000 miles on it so far.
It sways a bit because I kept the axle so far forward for ease of maneuvering by hand.
Click to view attachment

worst thing for a trailer is P-rated tires!!!!

put st rated tires on and you will have less sway!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec....jsp?techid=219
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.