Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: First AX in Leeloo
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
nine14cats
Well it's official...I'm old and rusty.... biggrin.gif Leeloo handled like I thought she would, she pushed like a pig. I set her front AR bar full loose and on the first run she was really loose on handling at the start but by the end of the run and subsequent runs she just wouldn't turn. The tweaking starts after this weekend.

I also had an absolute blast, and now I remember all the fun I had AXing, so that helps with the motivation as I look like I'm standing still next to Mike, Dave, Monty and Andrew in NorCal.

I packed up after running 4 runs in the morning and was somewhat feeling ok with myself since I was within a couple seconds of the pointy end crowd, but as I drove away I saw Andrew bust a run 4 seconds faster than anything I did in the morning on his first run of the afternoon! Monty, Dave and Mike all ripped it up in the afternoon from what I hear and Mike took home TTOD.

Great fun and it was good to be out with the gang.

Now it's time to get the weight out of the car, get the setup done and get some seat time. I was driving around like an old Grandma out there as I was scared to slide the car. I did spin out on my 3rd run, so I guess I was trying a little harder towards the end.

I found that the Kumho V710's on a light car do not get the slightest bit of heat in them.

Bill P.

Bill P.
Woody
Looking forward this build. What are you running for rear springs?
nine14cats
QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 21 2013, 07:03 PM) *

Looking forward this build. What are you running for rear springs?

I'm running 23mm T-bars up front and 250lbs springs in back. I plan on softening the rates up front and going up in the back. I don't have any AR bar adjustment room left up front.

Bill P.
Trekkor
I found that the Kumho V710's on a light car do not get the slightest bit of heat in them.

May I ask what your tire pressures were ( cold )?

I remember the old days. Reno/Stead for example~

KT
nine14cats
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jul 21 2013, 10:06 PM) *

May I ask what your tire pressures were ( cold )?

I remember the old days. Reno/Stead for example~

KT

My first run was 30 psi cold. They grew 3 pounds so I bled em down to 30 for the 2nd run. For the 3rd run I bled them down to 22 pounds and for the 4th I went to 20.

I was just seeing where they would heat.

They didn't.

Bill P.
Trekkor
Try them again.
They really are great a/x tires.

Target 24-26 hot.

They slide and make noise before they break loose unlike the Hoosier A6's, which just snap oversteer/spin.

How old are the tires?

You should bring Doris to the a/x test day at Sears and dial in this car.
You'd probably get 50 runs between the two of you!

KT
Woody
I'm running 21 t bars with 250# springs out back. 21 mm sway bar one inch from stiff. 225 and 275 A6s. My turn in is excellent with just a little bit of mid corner oversteer. Car weighs 1850#.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jul 21 2013, 10:37 PM) *

Try them again.
They really are great a/x tires.

Target 24-26 hot.

They slide and make noise before they break loose unlike the Hoosier A6's, which just snap oversteer/spin.

How old are the tires?

You should bring Doris to the a/x test day at Sears and dial in this car.
You'd probably get 50 runs between the two of you!

KT

Hi Trekkor,

I like V710's on our 996. These tires are basically brand new. They have 1 weekend on them at Thill. They are 225/50/16 fronts and and 245/45/16 rears. 7x16 inch rims in front and 8x16 inch rims in rear. These will be our AX and Track Tires for the remainder of the year. Next year at some point we will switch to slicks.

I'll try 24 - 226 hot next time out.

More than likely I just wasn't driving the car hard enough to get heat in them.

Bill P.
nine14cats
QUOTE(Woody @ Jul 22 2013, 04:23 AM) *

I'm running 21 t bars with 250# springs out back. 21 mm sway bar one inch from stiff. 225 and 275 A6s. My turn in is excellent with just a little bit of mid corner oversteer. Car weighs 1850#.

Thanks Woody,

I plan on swapping out bars to soften the front and most likely will bump the rears up 25 to 50 lbs. I like the car a little loose.

Bill P.
ConeDodger
30# is too much for V710's 28# tops... driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.