Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wiring differences from 4 to 6-engine/gauges?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chad newton
I wanted to check with you guys about the wiring differences for a 6 vs 4 for the engine. I would think they are the same but want to check anyways. Also what about gauges? Will they work or do I have to go to autometers for all the importaint stuff? If this has been discussed I am sorry, I couldn't find anything on it.
Jeffs9146
You will need the gauges from the same year/model range as the motor! There are a few small wiring differences for the later motors but it is fairly simple. You will loose your gas gauge and you may need to run another wire from the oil temp or pressure sender depending on which wire you choose to run which gauge!

You can get an adaptor wiring harness from Jeff for the early motors but the 3.0L FI motor will require some pinout changes to make it work! If you go carbs it avoids some of the wiring issues!
brant
Why loose the gas gauge. I don't think so.

The tab is different between a 4 and 6. But you can use the correct year 911 tach. Aux gauges may need additional wiring as they would for a four
Steve Snyder
agree.gif

You will certainly need to replace your 4 cylinder tach. If you stay with the 901 tranny, your current mechanical speedo is fine. Your fuel gauge will work assuming you are not messing with the fuel tank. Auxiliary gauges (temp, pressure, etc.) will require the correct sensors and appropriate wiring.
JmuRiz
You can use this to keep the nice silver button/stock tach:

TachAdapt
http://www.ashlocktech.com/
Jeffs9146
QUOTE(Steve Snyder @ Jul 23 2013, 01:55 PM) *

agree.gif

You will certainly need to replace your 4 cylinder tach. If you stay with the 901 tranny, your current mechanical speedo is fine. Your fuel gauge will will work assuming you are not messing with the fuel tank. Auxiliary gauges (temp, pressure, etc.) will require the correct sensors and appropriate wiring.

Sure you can save the fuel gauge but it is easier to just swap out the temp/pressure from the later motor rather than try to replace the sensors! But whatever floats your boat! I replaced the 4 gauge with a matching 6 gauge for my motor and moved the fuel gauge under the dash this way I only needed one additional wire and no senders!

You can see my 6 gauge on the left and the gas gauge under the dash!
Click to view attachment
chad newton
I will probably go autometer on all gauges plus tac. I want the tac to have a shift light anyways. And yes, my 2.7 already has webers, good ignition with box. It should run really well. The guy I got it from had some money into it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.