Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starter issues
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
worn
I have finally tweaked and tuned my rebuild into submission or at least till I am happy with it.
Click to view attachment
With a cooler the oil is fine, and after endless messing with the MPS the power is even.

My problem is the starter is having trouble spinning the engine. I finally replaced the old optima red top, and rebuilt an old starter and put it in. No difference. The starter starts out slow, then picks up speed and then slows down. Once the engine fires it seems to do much better if say I immediately try to start it again.

I am wondering if compression might make a difference. The problem wasn't there immediately after rebuild but showed up at around 500 miles. I did raise the compression toward upper 8s to maybe 9. Of course more disastrous ideas come to mind as well. Any thoughts? Wires are tight. Thanks.
Matt Romanowski
That isn't enough compression to cause a problem. You need to check voltage at the starter. If it's strong (~12.5 volts) then you probably need a starter. The newer ones with permanent magnets spin very quick.
SirAndy
Also make sure the tranny ground strap is on good working order and makes a good connection on both ends.

Did you powdercoat or paint any of the ground points? I believe the starter is grounded through the mating surface with the tranny.
idea.gif
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jul 23 2013, 02:33 PM) *

Also make sure the tranny ground strap is on good working order and makes a good connection on both ends.

Did you powdercoat or paint any of the ground points? I believe the starter is grounded through the mating surface with the tranny.
idea.gif

It does appear that there is paint on the tranni where the starter bolts up.
Steve Snyder
I agree that trouble on your bench-start is likely from a poor ground, but even when you get that sorted, you may find that your stock starter has some difficulty turning your higher compression engine when it is hot. I ended up putting a gear reduction-type starter in mine. Your results may vary...
TheCabinetmaker
My starter turns just fine with 9:1 compression.
Steve Snyder
So does mine. biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
My STOCK starter. biggrin.gif
Steve Snyder
My non-stock starter on my non-stock stroker... laugh.gif
TheCabinetmaker
show off.
worn
QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 23 2013, 12:24 PM) *

show off.

Oh, for heavens sake, the immaturity displayed when one of your poor downtrodden ones reaches out for kindness and sympathy shades.gif

Ok, the wires are tight and paint free and pushing 40. The first starter was from the 1.7 donor engine, while the second one I rebuilt, turning the commutator on the lathe. In other words old weak and suspect idea.gif . Still they make the same sound sometimes slowing and then sometimes speeding up. Maybe I will retard the spark a bit from stock.
TheCabinetmaker
Just a poor attempt at humor. I'm actually jealous I don't have a
stroker. It will be my next build.
jcd914

I believe the starter is grounded through the mating surface with the tranny.
idea.gif

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 23 2013, 01:07 PM) *

The starter does ground thru the starter body to the tranaxle.
Looking at your picture, you need to clean the paint off the trans where the starter contacts.

Jim
worn
QUOTE(jcd914 @ Jul 23 2013, 07:17 PM) *

I believe the starter is grounded through the mating surface with the tranny.
idea.gif

QUOTE(The Cabinetmaker @ Jul 23 2013, 01:07 PM) *

The starter does ground thru the starter body to the tranaxle.
Looking at your picture, you need to clean the paint off the trans where the starter contacts.

Jim

Yeah I know. Long ago done. Glamour photo to remind me where the parts are supposed to be. I will be checking voltages though. I may also run an extra ground strap, since it cannot hurt if it keeps to itself. Thanks all. bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.