Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can this car get to the top of the FP heap at Nationals?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
Fordhal Car at Summer Nationals

This car is really quick with O'Gorman behind the wheel but is it quick enough to catch the BMW or whatever John Thomas has been cooking up in his Z?

Worth the watch! Driving on the pointy edge......
ConeDodger
That's fast! But my money's still on JT and his Rebello motor Z...
Randal
Nice to see a motor that revs forever. What's the configuration?

Nice course work (driving) although he could follow The Larry Sharp principal and pick up some time.
Rumor has it is a 2.9 twin plug motec...
I too believe he left a little out there...
grantsfo
My money is on Phat Bastard for the win depending on who drives it. There are some suprises in store for JT and the very well driven 914 this year. Perhaps a more than stock 2.7 liter motor and maybe even race slicks on the "porsche with panties" this year. cheer.gif Boxster was faster than JT on West course 2011 with little stock 2.5 and DOT Rs. Even JT was impressed with the car. It broke 2012. 2013 should be a good year in FP with so many fast cars and drivers. There is a fast turbo solstice in the making too. I'd love to see the 914 take back the title though!

...and the motor in the 914 must be a 2.8 or less to be legal in FP. It's likely a 2.8.
Ah, now I see why 2.9 was the rumor in Grid...Gotta find some reason your getting beat by 3 to 4 seconds, no?
J P Stein
My.02...

I know this car fairly well having run against it for several years.

Click to view attachment

With about 50 hp more than the shitbox, with Brit vs Leeds driving, there was nothing to choose from (time wise) between the two cars......we were a couple hundred pounds lighter.....

It seems to require a unique driving style. Fordahl, in his prime, could pull it off, but, I think, needed to keep on top of the technique.

From the vids I've seen, nothing much has changed. It appears O'Gorman has the drill down well. The style is not conducive to consistency but he has (from the boxers world) "a punchers chance".

A gratuitous pic of the box from a similar time frame......with the slow old guy driving. .....
r_towle
What revs was he hitting.....second gear the whole time....wow
http://sololive.scca.com/FP.html

Day 1 in the Books....P1 for the Little Ole Teener

Those Avons are definitely quicker early!!
Woody
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Jul 25 2013, 10:28 AM) *

My money is on Phat Bastard for the win depending on who drives it. There are some suprises in store for JT and the very well driven 914 this year. Perhaps a more than stock 2.7 liter motor and maybe even race slicks on the "porsche with panties" this year. cheer.gif Boxster was faster than JT on West course 2011 with little stock 2.5 and DOT Rs. Even JT was impressed with the car. It broke 2012. 2013 should be a good year in FP with so many fast cars and drivers. There is a fast turbo solstice in the making too. I'd love to see the 914 take back the title though!

...and the motor in the 914 must be a 2.8 or less to be legal in FP. It's likely a 2.8.

914s have a displacement limit in FP? Didn't know that.

As for the Boxster, I am waiting to see how it does. Eric played hell getting the new cams set up.
ConeDodger
OH SNAP!!! OGorman wins!
Woody
Looks like O'Gorman took 1st in the 914. first.gif

On a separate note here is Streilniks RX7 destroying its differential.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBWkWly6Vq8...be_gdata_player
Picked up 2.7ish seconds today with a 69.8 run...They are all just shaking their heads when no one else could get in the 71's!!

Congrats to the new owner's of the Fordhal car. I believe it's the Montgomery's from the StL area?

Also Congrats to Phat Bastard for rounding out the Trophy's I believe?
BMXerror
It was an awesome display of driving prowess! Way to go Tom! aktion035.gif I was talking to him in the grid afterwards, and I pointed out that this was a nice poke in the eye to all those who were saying that an air cooled six can't make enough horsepower to win FP. His response was, "Really? I think that's what this car does particularly well." haha
Mark D.
J P Stein
QUOTE(BMXerror @ Sep 4 2013, 08:04 PM) *

It was an awesome display of driving prowess! Way to go Tom! aktion035.gif I was talking to him in the grid afterwards, and I pointed out that this was a nice poke in the eye to all those who were saying that an air cooled six can't make enough horsepower to win FP. His response was, "Really? I think that's what this car does particularly well." haha
Mark D.

As it should. Leeds had around 100K in that car. The motor was built, rebuilt/tuned for AX by some of the best ($$$$$$) in the Porsche business......but it still takes a driver to make it work. biggrin.gif He done gud.
bam914
Video of one of his runs.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=W5wKpgG0r1s
Shindog1961
Nice run! first.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(bam914 @ Sep 8 2013, 02:38 PM) *

Nice balls out run!
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(bam914 @ Sep 8 2013, 05:38 PM) *

That was his best run on the east course, and he had trouble with the gearshift at one point. blink.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Sep 9 2013, 09:53 AM) *

QUOTE(bam914 @ Sep 8 2013, 05:38 PM) *

That was his best run on the east course, and he had trouble with the gearshift at one point. blink.gif

Probably would have been faster not even trying to shift at all.

Nice motor.
DrJones
Sorry for the Back to the Future bump.

I've always been a fan of the 914's and was lucky enough to get beat by Mr.O'Gorman in the Montgomery 914/6 all year (We're some what local to each other).
1st day at Nationals I was sitting 1/2 a second back to Tom in the FP Solstice. I thought the second day might favor us over the gearing they had in the 914/6. Instead it turn out to be perfect for the 914.
Pretty happy about finishing 2nd since we still have a lot of development to do in the GXP since we threw it together starting in February of 2013.

Either way, I don't own a 914 (yet) but am always interested smile.gif Probably more for a street machine as the current track toy is plenty fun!
I'll probably be pretty quiet on here and just browse around.

Thought I'd just say Hi smile.gif

Storms FP Subaru Impreza, The Montgomery (Leeds/Fordal) 914. my GXP and Henry's Bimmer at Nationals
IPB Image

IPB Image
Woody
welcome.png beerchug.gif
Joe Ricard
That is what I love about FP, no cookie cutter Miata class. Just power, packed into a shell that looks like it used to be a street car. 914, E36, Solstice, 280Z dang ya got to love them all.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.