Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Broken Valve?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Erben914
How do I know if I have a broken valve? my 2.0 was running fine when I went to do a valve adjustment and the intake on number 4 cylinder won't gap. I continued to back the adjustment screw out and the valve spring pushes all the way out until it hits the rocker arm.
I quadruple checked my valve adjustment order cam position ect. All the other valves are adjusted at tdc.
Am I doing something stupid or is that valve broken? sad.gif
cwpeden
If it sounds like there's a bag of rocks in your engine trying to get out.

You have a broken valve.

Not all valves are adjusted at TDC. Only 2 are, the others are done at 180 deg. from TDC.
Mark Henry
Obvious something is fuched up, but if you had a broken valve the engine wouldn't have been "running fine"
99% of the time a sunk seat or broke valve is the exhaust.

Pulled retainer confused24.gif
JStroud
If I'm understanding your description correctly, sounds like a retainer slipping off the end of the valve, is there less valve stem sticking up out of the spring on that valve.

I can come by and take a look for you if you want.

Jeff

Still have the running 1.7 in my garage if you need it.
Erben914
Ah!
Jeff that makes sense. I will try to confirm that theory after work.
Will I need to take off my rocker arms to confirm and fix if so?.
I don't want to drop my engine but It might be easier in the end..
Just thinking out loud.
JStroud
If that is the problem, the head would have to come off, I would replace the valves
Or at least that one. I guess it depends on what's damaged just the retainer, then maybe fix without taking the head off, but if the end of the valve won't hold a new retainer....see where I'm going
Jeff
nathansnathan
If you could get your hands on something like the Matra 311s, it seems do-able without pulling it all apart.

IPB Image
stugray
If that is the problem, the head would have to come off

Not neccessarily. There is a mythical tool that allows you to use air pressure through the sparkplug hole to hold the valves in place while compressing the valve spring.

This would allow you to remove the rocker arms and the valve spring to inspect the valve & retainer.

If they are not damaged, you could put it back together.

My first suspiscion is that you are not truly at TDC for that cylinder.

Have you done a valve adjustment before, or is this your first attempt?

Stu
worn
QUOTE(Erben914 @ Jul 23 2013, 09:13 PM) *

How do I know if I have a broken valve? my 2.0 was running fine when I went to do a valve adjustment and the intake on number 4 cylinder won't gap. I continued to back the adjustment screw out and the valve spring pushes all the way out until it hits the rocker arm.
I quadruple checked my valve adjustment order cam position ect. All the other valves are adjusted at tdc.
Am I doing something stupid or is that valve broken? sad.gif

Is it just the one valve? Have you checked the others? I ask because I put myself in a wild panic by mistaking where #1 is on the dizzy and trying to adjust all of my valves when another cylinder was actually at TDC. Oh my, I have stretched out all my exhaust valves. I give up...no wait, I did it wrong. Made my day to find out I screwed up. Hope same for you.

If you pull the heat exchangers in lieu of the engine I think you can maybe get a top spring compressor in there for the keepers. Did one hit you in the face or is stuck on the valve cover? That would maybe be an indicator too.
cwpeden
Nobody has guessed that maybe the seat is sinking into the head. Does that happen on T4's.

Anyhow, good luck.
Cap'n Krusty
No matter what the cause, you're gonna have to pull the head. It's not clear in your post whether the retainer has come adrift, but the keepers come off when they can no longer seat on the valve stem, and the valve sinks into the head because it's stretching or the seat has been pounded into the head. If the keepers won't grip the valve, the stem is toast. No matter what, you're looking at serious head work and a BIG price tag. My money's on a sunken seat.

The Cap'n
Erben914
I was hoping that Jeff was right about the spring retainer.
I fear that Krusty is on the right track.
I will check it out this evening and post some pictures.
I appreciate all the help.

Yes only the one intake valve on #4
The rest adjusted just fine.

tornik550
What about a push rod that is not seated properly in the lifter?
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jul 24 2013, 09:44 AM) *

Well, that's always a possibility, but the gap would have to be pretty big to allow that to happen, and that much slack has to come from somewhere ................

The Cap'n
Erben914
QUOTE(tornik550 @ Jul 24 2013, 09:44 AM) *

Bingo!
I am an idiot but my car is ok. biggrin.gif
I had backed out the adjuster really far to get a good look at the tip of it. (I was curious if they wear out or become deformed) in doing so the push rod slipped out of the seat on the other end of the rocker. The adjuster side got wedged against the spring and wouldn't move.
Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry to be such a dumb bootyshake.gif
JStroud
Don't beat your self up too much. chair.gif
Let us do that. lol-2.gif

No worries, glad it worked out.....now stop messing with it and drive it. driving.gif

And don't worry....it will blow up someday.

Jeff
cwpeden
Curiosity killed the cat.

I love those moments aktion035.gif

Talk about sigh of relief.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.