Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting woes
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
newdeal2
Well, I have blown about 8-10 hours trying to figure this one out and it has me really stumped.

I was able to get it to start by rotating the dizzy about 1/3-1/2 turn counter clockwisw but it only ran for a few seconds on 3 and 4 [left some carbon on the plugs]. I did test it further by rotating the plugs in the cap but it made no difference. I changed the rotor and cap [had spares]. Does the condensor need to be grounded to the dizzy to work or is it OK that I have it hanging during test starts?

I tested the coil wire and still have not seen a spark.

I set the gap on the points 4 times. I assume it's the usual "slight drag" method?

The fuel pressure appears to be up and I can hear the fuel pump run when I turn the ignition on. I checked the routing and it is the same as the pelican diagram.

The coil gets warm and the engine does try to crank over [it sort of put, put,
puts]. Any chance this could be the coil afterall?

I checked and cleaned the F1 grounds, main grounds and tranny ground and they are all clean and secure.

I don't see any bad fuses and if they were which ones would cause this?

I'm getting sick of this.

Anyone have more basics I should run through befopre I flip?
SGB
my coil only gets warm after extended, continuous use. If it got warm while only cranking, I would be inclined to question it's viability....
Trekkor
Sounds a bit like crossed plug wires or out of time to me.

Have at it.

KT
newdeal2
Hey...good call trekkor ... l I did get it to start and run on a few cylinders [it even blew out the tell tale start up smoke and smells great!] by rotating the dizzy all the way counter clockwise so I am pretty sure I installed it 180 off [I saw this in another thread]. I will try moving the wires in the dizzy to the right - 2 spaces tommorow and see if it solves the problem.

laugh.gif
scruz914
QUOTE(trekkor @ Dec 5 2004, 09:29 PM)
Sounds a bit like crossed plug wires or out of time to me.

Have at it.

KT

agree.gif That is exactly what it sounds like.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.