Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: ball-cup bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
I bought my first 914 a couple months ago, a reasonably well-maintained '73 2.0-liter. I've been lurking around 914 World ever since, trying to absorb some knowledge.

I discovered that my ball-cup bushing in the sideshifter console was, well, not so much a bushing any more. It's more like several pieces of bushing shrapnel. I ordered a replacement bushing from Auto Atlanta. I was surprised to find that when it arrived it was a soft, flexible rubber piece instead of the nylon-type hard material that I expected.

Can someone share his experience with me on this matter? The pieces of the original bushing appear to be hard plastic. I haven't put the rubber one in yet. Should I be looking for a different, more stock-like bushing?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide.

Dan
pcar916
It should be fine. I'd put a little silicon grease around the ball before popping the bushing onto it.

Oh yeah, welcome.png
ripper911
This piece?

IPB Image

It's not rigid, yours probably hardened up over the years before it broke.
QUOTE(ripper911 @ Jul 25 2013, 09:21 AM) *

This piece?

IPB Image

It's not rigid, yours probably hardened up over the years before it broke.

Yep, that's the one. I'll go ahead and pop it in. Thanks guys.
bandjoey
Pelican parts for a pictorial replacing all the linkage bushings.
Dave_Darling
It should have some give to it, but it shouldn't be easily squishable.

When they say a little grease, they mean little. Too much grease will make it a real pain to fit over the ball. Some people have actually drilled a hole in the end of the bushing to let air out so they could push the cup onto the ball.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.