Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel pump questions?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dvid3k
I'm replacing a bad low pressure fuel pump on my 914 with dual webers, I've got two questions, first, would it be best to get a pump rated 1.5-4 psi or one that is 4-7 psi? My car has dual regulators so i can adjust the pressure down if needed. Secondly, the pump is mounted beside the battery, would it be better to relocate up where the fuel tank is? Thank you!
stugray
the pump is mounted beside the battery

That might explain the failure of the pump.
These type of pumps do not like to prime themselves.

Putting that pump up hill from the fuel tank means that every time it starts it probably has to pump air to prime.

I used the Holley Redtop pump mounted in the front trunk.
I have not run it long enough to know how dependable it is and it is pretty loud.

Stu
dvid3k
Thanks for the advice, where do you get your power for the pump from that location? I'm very new to 914s but I think my model had a pump in the back to start with.
stugray
Ran a new wire from the the fuse panel through the firewall.

But my fuel tank was out anyway so it was easy.

Stu
dvid3k
QUOTE(stugray @ Jul 25 2013, 02:19 PM) *

Ran a new wire from the the fuse panel through the firewall.

But my fuel tank was out anyway so it was easy.

Stu

Same for me, I've got the tank pulled out already in order to flush out the old gas and get everything ready to start up for the first time since I purchased the car, It sat for several years and it seems as if the pump went bad during that time.
Cap'n Krusty
I recommend a Pierberg rotary pump. I've sold a ton of 'em. Long lasting, quiet, reliable, and the correct pressure for your Webers. Claude's Buggies sells 'em, and GPR can get one for you pretty quickly. I always mount them in the rubber insulated clamp that comes in the box, but you can also add a rubber mount, the type with a stud on each end. Mount it low. I put 'em low on the firewall under the car, near the stock pump location. If you have the stock nylon fuel lines, you'll need the Porsche original step down fuel hose, as well.

The Cap'n
dvid3k
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 25 2013, 04:21 PM) *

I recommend a Pierberg rotary pump. I've sold a ton of 'em. Long lasting, quiet, reliable, and the correct pressure for your Webers. Claude's Buggies sells 'em, and GPR can get one for you pretty quickly. I always mount them in the rubber insulated clamp that comes in the box, but you can also add a rubber mount, the type with a stud on each end. Mount it low. I put 'em low on the firewall under the car, near the stock pump location. If you have the stock nylon fuel lines, you'll need the Porsche original step down fuel hose, as well.

The Cap'n

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll definitely be switching out the pump location. I'm starting to wonder how the car ran from the start, I'm not sure what sort of timeline the dual webers were installed, as well as the new engine, according to the paperwork and the odometer reading the car has never been on the road with the new engine. It had 22,529 in 2005, the engine was put in around 2007 and the current odometer reading is 22,535.

I'm needing a some sort of resource to get things put together properly:

The current setup was fuel pump beside the battery, line out of the fuel pump into a "T" that split off to the carbs with a regulator in line for each carb. The regulators were set to 1 PSI and installed backwards, I'm guessing that doesn't seem too correct. Could I eliminate one of the regulators and run one in the line before it splits off to the carbs?

dvid3k
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 25 2013, 04:21 PM) *

The Cap'n

Thanks so much for the suggestions, I'll definitely be switching out the pump location. I'm starting to wonder how the car ran from the start, I'm not sure what sort of timeline the dual webers were installed, as well as the new engine, according to the paperwork and the odometer reading the car has never been on the road with the new engine. It had 22,529 in 2005, the engine was put in around 2007 and the current odometer reading is 22,535.

I'm needing a some sort of resource to get things put together properly:

The current setup was fuel pump beside the battery powered by the coil, line out of the fuel pump into a "T" that split off to the carbs with a regulator in line for each carb. The regulators were set to 1 PSI and installed backwards, I'm guessing that doesn't seem too correct. Could I eliminate one of the regulators and run one in the line before it splits off to the carbs? Also, once I relocate the pump up front, and run a wire to power it from the fuse panel, Is there a fuse that would be best for handling the extra load of the fuel pump.

I've got the instructions from the carburetor kit but it wasn't too helpful, would there be an online resource somewhere that would have some weber setup diagrams for 914s? I'm working on getting all the rubber lines swapped out today and I'd like to get the hoses routed the best way before putting it all back together. I can't wait to get this car back on the roads.
rhodyguy
in the classic thread forum andy explains how to properly wire your pump while retaining the stock harness and relay. adapt the stock pump wire to work with the aftermarket pump. 2 fuel pressure regulators is twice the overkill when using the proper pump. too much heat in the engine compartment and as mentioned the placement is too high for the pump to function effectively. if there's a leak your car is going to prob burn up.
dvid3k
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jul 27 2013, 09:08 AM) *

in the classic thread forum andy explains how to proper wire your pump while retaining the stock harness and relay. adapt the stock pump wire to work with the aftermarket pump. 2 fuel pressure regulators is twice the overkill when using the proper pump. too much heat in the engine compartment and as mentioned the placement is too high for the pump to function effectively. if there's a leak your car is going to prob burn up.

Thanks! I've relocated the pump and I've got the car up and running, I'm going to remove one of the regulators and run new hoses to the carbs once I pick up some more hose. Things were definitely not hooked up properly, I'm slowly getting everything put back together properly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.