Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 remote oil tank installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
naro914
Not wanting to hijack Chad Newton's thread, I need to install a bigger oil tank into Papa Smurf up front. Until now, we've been using a Patrick stock-ish /6 tank in the fender. But we had to modify it slightly so we lost a little capacity, and from what I'm learning, it might not have enough capacity anyway for a big engine with a BIG (GT3) oil pump.

So, for all of you that have the round tanks mounted in the front trunk, can you post or email me more pictures of how you have the lines routed? how do you have the engine case vented? what is the flow of the system? what lines go where? how do you drain the tank?

ONce I get this done, I'll be selling the tank we have. Its been modified, so I'll sell it for cheap - we had to cut into it a little when we installed the CFR raised suspension points set up...all welds are good and it works fine...was done by one of my buddies that is a fabricator for Earnhart Ganassi racing - and owns an AWESOME older 911 with a killer 3.4 engine.. He's done all the fab work on our cars and is a master at welding anything....
billh1963
I'm interested in the tank if it's cheap!
chad newton
I'm good with it bro. I need some answers as well. I already mounted my battery in the front so I am thinking the best spot for me is going to be right where the battery is supposed to be. I was looking at like a 12 quart moroso or something of that nature with an air separator. I tried to talk to Kenny duttweiler about it, but he hates me doing a porsche(very fortunate to be around him). He's actually helping me with a stroker 460, but that's another project.smile.gif
chad newton
To be honest, I'm not even going to mount a cooler until I know that I have to. Thats one of my main reasons for going with a bigger volume tank for now other then what you already stated. I figured that the tank was really only designed for a hundred hp 2 liter 6. Plus I am going to be using it as a track car and it is close to 3 times that power.
brant
I'm running 190hp 2.0ltr. I run 19 qts of oil and 2 (each twin pass) fluidyne front coolers plus the stock motor oil cooler. We see 230degrees way more than I would like. I've seen higher but am not proud of it. You will require a front cooler for a track car! I have more volume than anyone and 3 coolers
naro914
^^ He's right, you're going to need a cooler.
Buddy of mine has a stock 2.4 liter in his 914...just street/hwy driving it gets over 220, so he's got to figure out how to put a cooler without hacking things up....
Dave_Darling
I've seen plumbing pics on the Pelican Racing BBS. There are probably some in the racing section here, too.

The ones I saw were not super detailed, but you got a reasonable idea of where things were. I recall one that had a cylindrical oil tank located vertically in the fuel tank compartment, over on the pax side where the compartment is deeper.

--DD
chad newton
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 25 2013, 08:26 PM) *

I'm running 190hp 2.0ltr. I run 19 qts of oil and 2 (each twin pass) fluidyne front coolers plus the stock motor oil cooler. We see 230degrees way more than I would like. I've seen higher but am not proud of it. You will require a front cooler for a track car! I have more volume than anyone and 3 coolers

Where did you mount the coolers, inline with each other or separate locations? This is why I'm here.
r_towle
Ask foley, he had some pics of a few setups.

We had a large beer keg tank in the engine bay in the same spot as the relay board...it fits in that corner.

I have also seen ( which I think it cool) a modified gas tank that had 1/3 of the stock tank sectioned to be the new oil tank....so they welded a bullhead in the tank and used the drivers side of the main fuel tank for just oil....

Super clean setup.

I do suggest you talk with foley about this because the height of the tank outlets is pretty important to make sure you have oil in the motor when starting.
brant
QUOTE(chad newton @ Jul 26 2013, 06:31 PM) *

Where did you mount the coolers, inline with each other or separate locations? This is why I'm here.

Check my vintage build thread. Twin fluidyne's behind the front bumper horn grills. Ducted directly through into the inside front fender wheel wells
chad newton
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 26 2013, 05:57 PM) *

QUOTE(chad newton @ Jul 26 2013, 06:31 PM) *

Check my vintage build thread. Twin fluidyne's behind the front bumper horn grills. Ducted directly through into the inside front fender wheel wells

Thankyou, I will find it tomorrow.
brant
It's in my signature no searching necessary
ellisor3
Not sure if you intent is to simply add more oil or simply cool the oil you have to a lower temperature, but here is what is installed in mine. You can add these small Setrab coolers to any application without any real modifications to the body. Joe installed these with some simple mounts to the exhaust nuts. I run the -6 tank with these and I live in sunny Florida.
naro914
the intent is for more oil, not cooling. The oil stays plenty cool, but we think we're having an oil starvation issue under high load cornering.
Engine is a high compression, high revving (8000 rpm) 3.2 with as I stated above a big oil pump from a GT3. Spun a few rod bearings in the past year... sad.gif The engine never had issue with the previous owner, who has much more oil capacity than I do.
r_towle
Accumulator pump?
Ours was in the rear trunk.

Tank needs to be higher than the motor to let the oil flow down....just keep that in mind..

Again, talk with foley, he tracked down an issue similar to this and it was based upon the location of the tank in the front trunk....height was the key from what little I recall.

Rich
Eric_Shea
I would think the scavenge line would have to be massive as well Bob.

Chad, I think someone mentioned a car getting a 3.2 w/o a cooler... On some other board? Was that yours? That wouldn't be fun.
chad newton
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 27 2013, 08:44 AM) *

I would think the scavenge line would have to be massive as well Bob.

Chad, I think someone mentioned a car getting a 3.2 w/o a cooler... On some other board? Was that yours? That wouldn't be fun.

No, it's a 2.7. It has a factory cooler. I will have to get the engine in the car and go from there. It will be a while, I still need my buddy to go through my trans and have to still get a grip of parts. I'm on my way though.....smile.gif

Cooler, that will come later.
brant
It will be mandatory on the track if you want your expensive motor to last.
Eric_Shea
I'd never do that...
chad newton
QUOTE(brant @ Jul 27 2013, 07:29 PM) *

It will be mandatory on the track if you want your expensive motor to last.

I got you. I will do whatever I need to. Cooler to me sounds like one of the best investments you can make.
Eric_Shea
Yay! smilie_pokal.gif
chad newton
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 28 2013, 11:24 AM) *

Yay! smilie_pokal.gif

Lol.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.