Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Spent the weekend with this mess
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DNHunt
God what a mess. Wires and boards everywhere.
Aaron Cox
youre a glutton for punishment ohmy.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Dec 5 2004, 06:34 PM)
God what a mess. Wires and boards everywhere.

thanks, just the kind of picture i needed to get myself motivated for the MS-FI conversion of my engine ...

unsure.gif Andy
DNHunt
Close up of the Megasquirt board with a few mods
Aaron Cox
whens it go on the car?
DNHunt
O2 sensor, relay board and ECU
DNHunt
And a cleaned up wiring harness. Looks like the new firmware with ignition is gonna work. Preloaded MS with a nice rich fueling map and safe ignition map

Dave
chikenfajita
im interested in putting a MS into my 914. how long did it take you to make it and install it in the car?? looks pretty cool. what are the advantages of installing a ms in a 914 driving.gif driving.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(chikenfajita @ Dec 5 2004, 06:54 PM)
what are the advantages of installing a ms in a 914

adjustability ...
Aaron Cox
headaches up front...smiles when you drive.....
crash914
Actually its not too bad to build and install...

I spent about 3 days building the MS board and stimulator. I would work about 2 hours at a time then put it aside for the day...I am not an electronics builder, but got better at soldering...I also built a WB02 kit during this same week.

The Megasquirt is much easier than the WB02. Although I did contribute to the build sheet for the Wb02..I had a kit with the RJ45 wires landed to to the wrong pins...tech support helped get it corrected.

All these kits are easy to order and have great web support.

You can go as far as you want. quick and dirty( me) or top drawer classy...the choice is yours.

I ran my megasquirt with my stock D jet motor first. I used pigtails for the injectors, connected power and tach. Thats it... I used the existing ECU to control the fuel pump, no TPS, no CHT, no cold start. It works...

Now that I have my new motor, I have added all that stuff. The TPS works well and with megatune, you can see the enrichment. The cold start works well also.

You do need to spend some time tuning with megatune. It is a learning experience. You will make mistakes with the fuel map and other settings. Best thing is that a kid can tune while you drive...its easy!

Go for it. for the investment of ~300, I have learned a lot about engine controls and tuning..its an investment in knowledge..

good luck, herb
DNHunt
Actually it's not as bad as it looks. It's really just a case of keeping everything straight.

The original build took about a weekend. Wiring took quite a while and tuning took a couple of months. For that I got a really nice fuel injection system that ran well for 18 months. The only problem I had was with the cylinder head temperature sensor and warmup enrichment.

The mess at the top is because I'm adding a distributorless ignition. I had the MS working on a stimulator and was doing some pretuning. I set up a nice rich fueling map and a real conserative ignition map as places to start tuning from. Changes to the board took me abot 3 hours. Reworking the wiring harness took a couple of days. I should be ready to install everything this coming weekend. Hopefully nothing will be crossed.

Dave
mightyohm
What mods did you make to the MS? Just the ignition or other things?

Do you have any issues with dust building up inside the box because of that fan? Given that the 914 is a convertible it is semi exposed to the elements inside.
DNHunt
Jeff

I did the EDIS ignition mod last weekend. I ran it off of LED 17.

When I originally built the thing I took the MAP sensor off the board and mounted it in the relay board box in the engine compartment so I wouldn't have a really long vacuum line. I just swiped 3 leads off the DB37 cable that were originally grounds and dedicated them to the MAP. Then I used jumpers on the boards.

Dust hasn't been a problem with the ECU in the center console. The relay board gets dirty as hell in the engine compartment.

Also I switched back to the AAR instead of a fast idle solenoid. The fast idle solenoid is all or nothing and a pain in the butt.

Dave
rhodyguy
ha ha. you moved into the kitchen.

kevin
DNHunt
Yep, Wife said it was time to do something together. She got see me work and I got to see her cook. Not just on the stove either. 914 tokens are disappearing faster than quarters in a slot machine. We need a steamin smilie.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.