Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Brake protective plates.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RFoulds
Reassembling and as I am bolting these on, it occurs to me that they look too big. 1971 1.7 liter. Standard brakes. The protective plates behind rotor measures 13.75 inches top to bottom and rotor is only 11". Are these wrong plates or just overkill??
Spoke
Got a pic of the plates?
RFoulds
IPB Image

914Sixer
Early struts used the backing plate off the VW 311 up to and including 72. I am seeing a banjo bolt so I am assuming it is an early strut.
RFoulds
pelican parts has one for a 914-6 available, but not a 4. was there any difference in brake rotor size between 4 and 6, in 1971?

and yes, early strut. 1971.
Spoke
The plates off of my 71 are 12 inches across.

Your plate doesn't look like mine.

Cap'n Krusty
Call Bruce Stone .....................

The Cap'n
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 25 2013, 08:51 PM) *

pelican parts has one for a 914-6 available, but not a 4. was there any difference in brake rotor size between 4 and 6, in 1971?

The strut is different between the two.
RFoulds
This is the one pelican parts has for a 914-6. It looks like what I recall seeing on others as well. Anyone have ones that look like this?
RFoulds
This is the one pelican parts has for a 914-6. It looks like what I recall seeing on others as well. Anyone have ones that look like this? Click to view attachment
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 25 2013, 10:29 PM) *

QUOTE(RFoulds @ Jul 25 2013, 08:51 PM) *

The strut is different between the two.

Read above poke.gif
RFoulds
I did read that. Just because the strut is different, doesn't mean its not the same plate.
Eric_Shea
OK... good luck wit dat wink.gif
914werke
You have late back plates. See attached, if you can see the stamps they say 74

Click to view attachment

These are for the early 70-72 cars:

Click to view attachment
RFoulds
Thanks! good info and pics.
RFoulds
Well the 914-6 plates did not fit. I ordered them thinking it would be good to have vented plates and they might need some modding.
They ate the right diameter, and bolt pattern is only slightly different. So I slotted the bolt holes evenly on all 3 so they would still center. I also had to cut a slot through to accommodate a difference in spindle. After sloppy cuts were made I test fitted them. Although the bolted on nicely, once the hub was on it was obvious these are not right. They protrude outwardote than stock and interfere with hub and rotor. So the 914-6 spindle must be quite different. Oh well. $90 and in the trash they go. Can't restock them because I cut and bent them all sorts of ways trying to make them work.
So off to eBay to find the right ones.
914werke
confused24.gif
bye1.gif
RFoulds
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 4 2013, 08:20 AM) *

confused24.gif
bye1.gif

Have you got some to sell?

I dont know if they are actually available but AA lists them at less than $10 apiece. I am going to call local VW tomorrow with the part number, and see if they can get NOS or repro easily. If not, I will call AA and see what they actually have.

Spoke
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jul 26 2013, 12:22 AM) *

Call Bruce Stone .....................

The Cap'n

agree.gif

PM bdstone914

Bruce always seems to have parts and usually in very nice shape and good prices.
914werke
QUOTE(RFoulds @ Aug 4 2013, 05:26 PM) *

QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Aug 4 2013, 08:20 AM) *

confused24.gif
bye1.gif

Have you got some to sell?

I dont know if they are actually available but AA lists them at less than $10 apiece. I am going to call local VW tomorrow with the part number, and see if they can get NOS or repro easily. If not, I will call AA and see what they actually have.

those pictured are available.
rhodyguy
re the picture in post #4. the backing plate interferes with the hub yes? you have the backing plate on backwards. the 'cupped' edge should point to the center line of the car. the plate does not encompass the rotor.

k
RFoulds
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Aug 5 2013, 03:34 AM) *

re the picture in post #4. the backing plate interferes with the hub yes? you have the backing plate on backwards. the 'cupped' edge should point to the center line of the car. the plate does not encompass the rotor.

k

WAIT. What? the ones in post #4 were too big, by at least 2 inches. BUT, any other back plates I have seen or bolted on, have lip OVER the rotor, not away from rotor.

So which way should they be????
confused24.gif
rhodyguy
try reversing them.
RFoulds
Well, color me stupid I guess. I was certain these were the wrong plates. I didnt know that anyone ever made them slanting away from the rotor! Now, I find it is not unusual.
In all the diagrams I have, and the parts lists, the plates are shown snug up to the rotor, and the lip OVER the rotor edge, as I expected. Thanks to helpful eyes on this board, the plates are back on correctly, new brake lines in, new bearings, and rebuilt calipers installed. Now just need to pump out all old fluid and bleed. but my speed bleeder tubes are cracked so off to get new ones.

that plus removing all the undercoating made for a lot of work on each corner. Click to view attachment
rhodyguy
easy mistake to make. beauty is you'll only make it once.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.