Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.4 with MFI...worth buying?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Let me preface this by saying that I am NOT in the market for another 911 engine. I just bought a 2.4 from a certain member in Virginia......

HOWEVER, someone has offered me (price still TBD) a complete 2.4 with MFI. It has not run in some time although it was supposedly mothballed correctly. There seems to be some fascination with these MFI engines. Are they as problematic or complicated as I seem to remember?
scotty b
Yes they are a bit complicated, but they're great when everything is right, and have a cool factor of their own. If you get it and plan to use it, I have a good friend in D.C. that is a whiz with getting them set up correctly. Parts have gotten expensive in the last couple years so make certain all the parts are there. Pump may need to be rebuilt, taint cheap
billh1963
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 25 2013, 08:44 PM) *

Yes they are a bit complicated, but they're great when everything is right, and have a cool factor of their own. If you get it and plan to use it, I have a good friend in D.C. that is a whiz with getting them set up correctly. Parts have gotten expensive in the last couple years so make certain all the parts are there. Pump may need to be rebuilt, taint cheap

Not sure if it's something I'm really interested in...it may be too expensive.

It should probably go into a 911 rather than a 914 considering the value of early 911's.

That being said, they are cool and it would make an interesting build. idea.gif
JoeSharp
I just sold one to a guy that has an early 911 for 3K. I really wanted to put it in a 914 because of the KOOL factor. Neat motor.
JmuRiz
Good info to know Scott...and yes the MFI engines are awesomely responsive when setup correctly. Local guy had one, I swear he no more than touched the key and it fired up...very cool.

My brother just got a '72 911 and part of the draw was it still had the original MFI and it's been cleaned out (needs a topend rebuild, but anyway).
carr914

And they bring good money in Parts
jcd914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jul 26 2013, 04:47 AM) *

And they bring good money in Parts

Good to hear parts are worth something, I have a collection of most of a 2.4T MFI system.
I have long wanted to have a car with MFI (having driven several well set up 911s) and bought up most of a system many years ago. I have mostly given up on the idea over the years.

Fun set up to drive.

Jim
jfort
I used to have a 73 911S with the 2.4 MFI. SHOULD HAVE NEVER SOLD IT! when it got on the cam at 4000 rpm you knew you had something special. and the sound was almost as good as the carbuerated 2.5 I have in the 914 now.
J P Stein
IMO, the 911 T motor is not worth the hassle. An E or S is.
Make sure your SNs numbers are right for the latter 2.
billh1963
It came from a "T"
Drums66
.....Archaic technology,up to your wallet whether or not
it is economically viable idea.gif (just my opinion idea.gif
bye1.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jul 26 2013, 10:21 AM) *

bye1.gif

as are carbs, D-jet, L-jet, CIS, motronic and on and on confused24.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jul 26 2013, 10:12 AM) *

It came from a "T"

Doesn't matter. You're not buying the motor; you're buying the MFI.

It will need to be gone through, just make it RS spec at that time and count your blessings. They're getting very rare at this point.

Did you state the price range? The complete MFI system alone is probably worth close to $3,000 in current trim.
shuie
I've owned a few '72-'73 911s with different engine configs. The engines in the cars consisted of hot rebuilt 2.4 w/webers, a stock 2.4 w/MFI, a hot SC based 3.2 short stroke w/webers, and a chipped 3.2 Carrera w/exhaust. I really loved my stock '72T MFI motor. Of the above, it was my favorite old 911 daily driver street motor. It sounded fast and you could really stand on it just about anywhere without worrying about getting into trouble.

The MFI is not hard to adjust properly as long as you have the right tools, can read and follow the Bosch manual, and the core components are in decent shape. You must do what the manual says. Do not just start dorking around with stuff because you are reasonably mechanically inclined and know how make a car run. Once the system is set properly you really shouldn't have to mess with it.

If you decide to keep it for yourself, remove the cold start stuff and plan on replacing the any of the old cloth braided fuel lines. Be very careful with the plastic fuel fittings when removing the old lines around the stacks. They are really easy to break and really difficult to fix. Try to get the engine relay panel from the car if you can.
Daiberl
Interesting thread, I have a 2.2E with complete MFI in my -6 and plan to replace it with a 3.0 or 3.2 with carbs. I asked over at the Pelican board how much the engine with MFI might be worth and got a few people immediately interested in the engine, estimate was around $4.5k +/- depending on how it runs. The engine is supposed to make 165HP and runs really good now after some driving. I plan to list for $5.5k in the winter before I start my restoration so that people can test drive.
Drums66
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jul 26 2013, 01:22 PM) *

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jul 26 2013, 10:21 AM) *

bye1.gif

as are carbs, D-jet, L-jet, CIS, motronic and on and on confused24.gif

.....You are right!....more popcorn!

bye1.gif flag.gif popcorn[1].gif(some more so than other's)
sean_v8_914
MFI has HUGE cool factor
Maltese Falcon
We sold a 2.4 S mfi engine two years ago , it had rod bearing damage as well. Got close to $8,500 .
The S has the desirable larger intake stacks, pump and injectors, and was stock on the 916.
Our engine was exported to France, going back into an early 911s. On a 914-6 the mfi requires a pre-heat tube which runs from the pass-side heater box. It warms up the aneroid on the pump rack for cold start. Also a small bit of engine sheet metal trimming is also required on the upper right area mfi pump belt drive. A very potent engine package in a six !
The 911 T- mfi is a little smaller , and a little less potent, but in a light 914 still a rocket.
If you don't need the $4k-5k cash, put that engine to good use.
Marty
scotty b
I'll also add that the engine alone, needs to be completely in spec before tuning the MFI. That is one of the issues that led to it's PITA rep. If anything on the engine is off, it will throw the injection settings off and lead to poor results
Michael N
I have a MFI 2.4S engine in my /6. It was swapped from the original 2.0 back in the late 70's by Grady Clay. I have owned the car since early 2006 and have only had one MFI belt brake in that time. Based on suggestions on this site, I run Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas and it should help with keeping all the MFI parts working right. Very fun car to drive on shorter trips and on the back roads. Longer trips and stop and go traffic can be exhausting. It is a tough car to just drive mellow in as needs to be wound up to go. Under 3000 RPMs it bogs in lower gears it. Above 4500 RPMs it is an animal pushing you back into the seat or revving you down as you come to a stop. it can be a nightmare if you are in city traffic too long. It is not a cruising engine. I prefer my wife's 2.0 /4 on longer trips or in stop and go traffic.

I love the MFI for the super quick throttle response and the S engine because it is has an incredible feel and sound when there is room to drive it right. I have never driven an E spec engine but would love to check one out. From what I understand it offers the balance between regular driver and go fast specs.

I had a 1982 911 SC. It was not nearly as quick as the 2.4S but it was more linear in power.
Eric_Shea
Stay tuned. A 3.0 MFI motor is going in my 911 (soon?) with the MFI out of that exact engine Bill. Gus rebuilt the pump and added a 3.0 space cam and Harry Bieker bored the stacks and throttle bodies to standard S/RS spec.

I spoke to a lot of people who saw the insides of both 2.7RS and one 3.0RS motor. The goal is a stock 3.0 turnkey motor that looks completely RS when you open the deck lid.

Bottom line: you can still do a lot with that complete MFI system. A lot.
JmuRiz
Ooooo, 3.0RS motors are cool.
zymurgist
My 911 had a 2.4 MFI engine that the PO rebuilt as a 2.7. Very fast, cool sounding engine. I sold the car because I didn't want to have to train myself in the intricacies of maintaining a one-off modification of orphaned technology. Still, it was hard to beat for the cool factor.
mr914
My 6 came with a 2.2E motor with MFI

Car sat for 10 years before I bought it. I never started it, hazed the cy's with oil and rotate it every 6 months or so.

Going to be a bitch to get going again?

Perhaps, swap for a 3.2 motronic....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.