Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
juicebox
i am 14 and recenly accuired a 1971 porsche 914, with a 911 body kit, and 911 brakes and wheels

my petal assembly is all rusted out
i need to replace the bushings because it will not move properly
i have managed to remove the roll pin, but i was not able to remove the clutch petal

if you have any suggestions they would help a lot, thanks smile.gif

914 pics - pics of my porsche, lemme know what you think of it
Trekkor
welcome on board, Matthew wink.gif

try the search feature for a minute.

KT
McMark
Looks like a pretty good starting point. Concentrate on the engine brakes and suspension, and then worry about paint and looks. There's nothing worse than having fresh paint sit in your garage forever waiting for engine or brake work.

Congratulations and welcome. clap56.gif
ThinAir
Very interesting car! I've never seen a teener like that before. Looks like you've got a fair bit of work ahead of you.

I had the same problem with my pedal cluster. I had used rust-busting chemicals on it, but I finally had to take the cluster to my local auto parts store (a Big A, NAPA type place, not Checker or Auto Zone). This place has a machine shop so I figured they could press it off for me. It took them about 30 seconds and they refused to charge me anything for it.
juicebox
oh ok, i never thought of that.

thanks
SirAndy
that body kit is popular with the V8 conversion guys ...
except for the rear spoiler, which looks home-made.

judging from the rust, it looks like the car has been sitting outside for a while.

i agree, take the cluster to someone with a hydraulic press and have them press it out.
it'll take about 15 seconds ...

oh, and welcome to the club!
smilie_pokal.gif Andy
juicebox
thanks
VegasRacer
I'd say you're one lucky kid Matthew. mueba.gif
Welcome to the club.
It looks like you have a little bit of work to do. smash.gif
You should have it running strong and looking good by the time you are old enough to drive it. driving.gif
juicebox
thanks

hopefully i will have it running by the end of this coming summer
scotty914
congrats clap56.gif

and i would like to welcome you as well, and your dad, mother, or what ever family you have to include gf's when they ask why you spend more time with the car then her

congrats again and dont be afaid to ask
juicebox
thanks
SirAndy
QUOTE(juicebox @ Dec 5 2004, 08:42 PM)
hopefully i will have it running by the end of this coming summer

maybe this link to my restoration will help you a bit. trust me, you'll get to a point inbetween where you'll ask yourself:

what the hell did i get myself into?
will this car ever be running again?
am i crazy?

http://www.sirandy.com/projects/cars/

click on the "Pictures" link and go through the links top to bottom.
that'll give you some idea what your next 6 month are going to look like ... smash.gif

biggrin.gif Andy
Series9
I believe I have a pedal cluster in working condition. You may have it, if you like.

I won't be home until Wednesday, but I can check then. If you want it, let me know.
juicebox
i would love that, let me know

email me
Rhodes71/914
I struggled with my clutch pedal as well, my local garage couldn't even get it off. Got one out of a donor car, that on was a PITA as well but it eventually gave. Just one in the many small challenges afaid of you.

Have fun and welcome to the club.
mharrison
I also had to have my clutch pedal pressed off at a machine shop. It cost $10 then I cleaned, primed, and painted, each piece. After that a reassembly with Bronze bushings bought from Pelican and it was better than new!

Welcome to the family.
I bought my first 914 when I was 14 years old too. It had a tree growing though the floorboard and mice living in the rear trunk. Restoring it was alot of work, but also alot of fun.

-Matt
juicebox
tree in the floorboard!!, that must have been a lot of work

thanks for the advice
Mark Henry
The website you have requested has exceeded its daily bandwidth quota of 56MB and has been temporarily de-activated.

Post your pic's here.... I'd like to see it, but I'll forget about it by tommorow.

Welcome to the club dOOd!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.