Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are Rivera rims ugly?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
I noticed a car for sale on Ebay they said they replaced the "ugly" Rivera rims with EMPI Fuchs replica rims. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder! They also have the original steelies that go with the sale.

There is also a very impressive list of the service performed on the teener over the years.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-914...536&vxp=mtr
Eric_Shea
I think so but... Not so much the style but the combination of style and offset. It was the aftermarket wheel of choice back then so they must have done something right.

I like the EMPI spokes done properly on a lowered car.
damesandhotrods
It sounds like just a sales pitch. Most Riveras as well as the 2.0 Liter knock offs are Beetle offsets. The proper 914 spec Rivera is pretty sought after in the Karmann Ghia and Type 3 worlds.
JRust
I;ve seen Riv's that look good. Saw a polished set once on a silver car that looked kick ass. Not fuchs kick ass but really looked nice
RFoulds
I like Riv's. I prefer fuch or, whatever came on car. For a car that well documented, and from CA, I would put the original steelies back on. Make it "as delivered"
r3dplanet
Super subjective, this. I often wonder if this is more psychological than aesthetic. If a thousand people say something is ugly, another thousand people might believe it because they don't want to be associated with something deemed by so many as ugly.

I notice that many people don't even specify the Formula Vee style from the more modern Riviera style.

Frankly, I think that the Fuchs are boring because they're everywhere. And without painted backgrounds look very two dimensional. But since everyone likes to like them they look better than they really are. Think of Sarah Jessica Parker. So many people crow about how beautiful she is, but out of celebrity context you'd never give her a second thought.
computers4kids
I really like the old school rivs with the rounded spokes-not the more common rivs.
IPB Image
euro911
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jul 27 2013, 11:06 AM) *
... Think of Sarah Jessica Parker. So many people crow about how beautiful she is, but out of celebrity context you'd never give her a second thought.
laugh.gif

Add Cameron Diaz to that list barf.gif

Rivieras aren't ugly, just overplayed - like a lot of songs on the radio confused24.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jul 27 2013, 04:55 AM) *
There is also a very impressive list of the service performed on the teener over the years.

Yes, impressive. Like the upside down mounted pass. side turn signal lens ...
rolleyes.gif
JawjaPorsche
I noticed the sail trim is painted black which looks good on a white car. Also, noticed 120 speedometer. Was those installed on earlier 73's until supply was used up?
Drums66
....I used to like them,I like the Revolution Millenium wheel's now! idea.gif
bye1.gif(on my 911 Carrera the" GOTTI " wheel's)
bembry
I like 'em...that's how most 914s I remember looked when they were new/newish. Of course I ditched the ratty set that was on my car when I bought it and put fuchs on my car...
scotty b
QUOTE(r3dplanet @ Jul 27 2013, 10:06 AM) *

Super subjective, this. I often wonder if this is more psychological than aesthetic. If a thousand people say something is ugly, another thousand people might believe it because they don't want to be associated with something deemed by so many as ugly.

agree.gif Like the Miura........ mellow.gif
Cap'n Krusty
I'm guessing original Rivvies are probably safer and lighter than repop fuchs.

The Cap'n
reharvey
Had Riv's on three of my cars and I like the look. The wider track gives the car a nice stance.
Porsche930dude
dont you just love those ebay ads with 10,000 beatiful pics of the car and only 1 shitty pic of the engine
dale73914
I like them, although I am probably a bit biased...... biggrin.gif

I left the face of mine matt, but polished the dish part.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.