Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I stepped to the dark side
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drew365
I attended the POC racers clinic at Buttonwillow this weekend. My 914-6 ran great all day Saturday. We were the last group on the track and got in after dark. A bunch of people complimented me on how well the 914 cornered. I got back in the car after impound and it made a horrible noise after starting. Sounds like the flywheel fell apart.
My friend let me run his 911 so I could complete the clinic on Sunday. I had never driven 911 before and was worried about damaging someone elses car. I finished the clinic, took 4th in our 15 lap race and my best time was 1.5 sec faster than in the 914. ohmy.gif And that was with a 245 tire with 8 inch rim on the left rear and right front and a 225 tire with 7 inch rim on the right rear and left front because we did a complete brake job and miss matched the tires trying to get me to grid on time. huh.gif
Howard
Careful, this is how it starts. See how fast you can go in a real Porsche? rolleyes.gif
Bigbohr
Beginner's luck ... laugh.gif
davep
Aww, get real. The 911 makes a great parts doner to the 914. Put the good parts in your 914/6 and see the results on your lap time.
Sammy
What were the specs/modifications on the 911?
Also, more details on the special tire stagger, I might want to try that wink.gif
drew365
The 911 is the one behind me in my avatar. I believe it's an '84 with a 3.2. He runs in KP class and the car is basically stock. I figure my time improvement has as much to do with a better feel for the track on day two, but I was surprised at how easy it was to step into a 911 and be competitive. Our secret tire stagger gave the car a split personality. (insert snare drum)
Steve
I heard that 911's corner very well but if you push it to hard in a corner and let your foot up off the gas than its game over.
You get the notorious lift throttle oversteer.
I couldn't believe all the early 911's that were spinning out at the last auto cross.
machina
QUOTE(Steve @ Dec 7 2004, 10:21 AM)
I heard that 911's corner very well but if you push it to hard in a corner and let your foot up off the gas than its game over.

Well that is true but so far I have found 911's to be more controllable than my 914. Even though the weight is out back on a 911, the pivot point of the car is well forward compared to the central pivot point of the 914.

I find the 914 more twitchy at the limit. With the 911 it was easier for me to control the back end because I had a better sense or what it was going to do. I could steer with the throttle easier.

I have probably 20 times more track time in a 911 so I just have to get used to the characteristics of the 914.

I will say that the inherent layout and light weight of the teener makes it feel better out of the box. I probably need another couple seasons in the 914 to sort out the chassis and drive it to its potential.
TimT
I find the 914 more twitchy at the limit. With the 911 it was easier for me to control the back end because I had a better sense or what it was going to do. I could steer with the throttle easier.

agree.gif

I also have about 15 years of track experience in a 911, and only 3-4 years in a 914.

I find throttle steering and rotating the car much easier in my 911 than in my 914

They both are great track cars beerchug.gif
drew365
The motto of the 911 racers I know is, "Don't lift!" I don't plan on buying a 911 anytime soon but I feel I might be able to drive one in a team effort enduro now and not embarass myself. Maybe next years Tribute to LeMan. My goal is still to gain respect for the 914 within the POC. Randy Beck drove a 914-6 to a second place finish in Sundays Red Group Cup Race. It was a 3.3 turbo screamer. smilie_pokal.gif
Duffster
Whoa...Andy! Dude! Here, sniff this old oil tank/filter gasket and lay down with a cold compress, until it passes. If you don't turn back now, We'll find you walking down San Fernando Road with one cowboy boot on and your shirttail partially cut off, toting an empty jug of VP fuel, waving a sign that says "will do damn near anything for a GT3" The next time we see you, you would be plastering the backside of The Racer's Group shop, just so you can sniff around their parts bins...GO BACK!!! ITS A TRAP!!!!!
campbellcj
Andy, congrats on completing the clinic! clap56.gif That was one of my goals for this year but...well there's always 2005...

I have been seriously thinking about a (modern i.e. 964 or newer) 911 of some sort as my next street car. For now the 914 will remain my track steed as it is still way more car than I am driver, and could be developed quite a bit more if desired.

The 911's are great cars and I highly recommend having one of each (911 & 914) if possible. w00t.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.