Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pop Pop Pop
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
szuccaro
Hi guys.... my carbs are way overdue for a tuning, and well, I'm no good at it. I'd like to be able to enjoy driving my 914 again, but afraid to mess up the carbs even more. Anyone in the San Jose area interested in helping a fellow teener? I would appreciate it very much. Let me know if mid-August would be good. Thanks in advance. steve_zuccaro@comcast.netClick to view attachment
Rand
Nice looking car. If the pops are out the top, it's probably lean. (pops out the back are more likely exhaust leaks or rich.)

rhodyguy
symptoms? what is going wrong and when does it happen? specific details.
pilothyer
Man, get a load of that garage.......very impressive, so neat and clean. Nice looking 914 too. biggrin.gif
Eric_Shea
Hey Steve,

Read the section on installation and also performance tuning:

http://www.performanceoriented.com/technic...tm#Installation

Best Weber advice I've found.
szuccaro
QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 27 2013, 09:57 PM) *

Nice looking car. If the pops are out the top, it's probably lean. (pops out the back are more likely exhaust leaks or rich.)

mixture problems.... not exhaust leak....pops out the tail, i think..hard to determine for sure while driving....becomes more pronounced when decelerating.

I dont know which screws to adjust on the carbs.... which one is for mixture and which for idle speed.

Need an expert to help me...in person. Help.
Rand
QUOTE(szuccaro @ Jul 28 2013, 01:17 PM) *

QUOTE(Rand @ Jul 27 2013, 09:57 PM) *

mixture problems.... not exhaust leak....pops out the tail, i think..hard to determine for sure while driving....becomes more pronounced when decelerating.

I dont know which screws to adjust on the carbs.... which one is for mixture and which for idle speed.

Need an expert to help me...in person. Help.

You need to confirm if from the tail. Especially if on decel, I'm thinking you might want to reconsider checking out the exhaust system before assuming it's carbs.

If you just want to take it somewhere, I think McMark is worth the drive.
http://www.originalcustoms.com/
ChrisFoley
An obstructed jet will cause popping, especially on decel.
What happens is that cylinder lean misfires, allowing unburnt fuel into the hot exhaust system where it finally ignites.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ Jul 28 2013, 08:09 PM) *

An obstructed jet will cause popping, especially on decel.
What happens is that cylinder lean misfires, allowing unburnt fuel into the hot exhaust system where it finally ignites.

That makes a ton of sense Chris. I always wondered what the mechanics were behind that. pray.gif

I would take Chris' thoughts as a good place to start. Checking the idle jets out is a good place to start, and something that should probably be done periodically anyway.

Then move on to exhaust.

r_towle
Clean your idle jets, then if it continues, bring it up to McMark.

To clean the idle jets, you are not changing the tuning at all.
Just remove them and blow out the crud, then reinstall.
Each jet has a rubber o ring on the neck of the jet holder, so be careful not to pinch it.

Rich
szuccaro
Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it.
McMark
If you feel like driving up north, I'd be happy to host a carb-tuning event.

Heading down your way to pick up a 2002 this week. driving.gif
Eric_Shea
QUOTE(szuccaro @ Jul 28 2013, 10:20 PM) *

Thanks everyone for the info. I appreciate it.

Where's the bed?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.