Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: worth the trouble... y or n?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
double-a
a friend of mine knows a guy who wants to get rid of his orange '75 1.8, which has been parked in his garage for 20 years. yes, two decades.

i haven't seen it yet (maybe tonight), but... what $$ sounds reasonable considering the following:

- slight rf fender dent
- cracked windshield, needs replacing
- new engine? rebuild?
- f bumper needs replacing
- possibly little to no rust
- riv wheels

the reason i ask is that the guy may want payment on the spot if i want it, otherwise he'll have it hauled off or something.

any and all opinions, help and/or derision welcomed wink.gif

~a
anthony
It depends on your purposes. I would purchase it for parts only meaning I probably wouldn't pay for than $200-300 based on what you described.
double-a
sorry, i should clarify:

- if it's relatively lacking in rust, especially if the hell hole is good, i want to restore it
- if it's got rust "issues" that need to be repaired, i'll want to part it

~a
ninefourteener
Of course, it all depends on the car. I had a buddy once find an old cuda up under a tree that had been sitting outside for well over a decade without running..... He cycled some new oil through it by manually turning the crankshaft, changed out the plugs, and sprayed some starting fluid in it, and the damn thing started right up. Turns out it was an original #'s matching 340 car with under 30,000 original miles. He bought it for under $1000, and sold it for almost $8000.

Nevertheless, it obviously needs a bumper, a windshield, bodywork (dented fender), a paintjob, new wheels (in my opinion--LOL), and a new engine.. or at least a rebuild.

If it truly is a rust free car, I'd treat it as exactly that, but ONLY that..... in other words, a rust-free shell.

Whats that worth, maybe $1000??? Thats if it is truly rust free. Much less if it has rust.

If its been sitting for 20 years, and the guy is considering having it hauled off, he'll be lucky to get $250 for it. I'd say offer him $600, and go up as high as you think its worth.

Just my 2 cents
anthony

- if it's relatively lacking in rust, especially if the hell hole is good, i want to restore it

- if it's got rust "issues" that need to be repaired, i'll want to part it

If you are looking for a restoration candidate then why a '75 that has been parking for a million years? It sounds like a lot of work and money for a '75 that nobody will be interested in if you ever try and sell it. If you are going to restore a 4 cylinder car at least start with a 73/74 2L car.
double-a
QUOTE(anthony @ Dec 6 2004, 11:27 AM)

If you are looking for a restoration candidate then why a '75 that has been parking for a million years? It sounds like a lot of work and money for a '75 that nobody will be interested in if you ever try and sell it. If you are going to restore a 4 cylinder car at least start with a 73/74 2L car.

hm... good points. but i was looking at it for its possible rust-free qualities. and if it needs a new engine anyway, might as well get a 2.0 in there. i've seen several 75s that looked very nice. i have a hunch i can get it for two, maybe three hundred.

~a
xsboost90
buy it, enjoy it...whats money anyways? confused24.gif
Eric Taylor
$200-$300 max, if you ask me, I would walk away from anything more. Look at the value of the part's on it as well. If their is enough good, then go for it. If it's all crap, cracked dash, micky mouse wireing, etc, then walk away. Just my opinion.

Eric
double-a
well that's why i posted wink.gif

i'll take all the opinions i can get, helps me go in with more info since i'm a bit new at this.

~a
SirAndy
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

i know, i know, you haven't seen it yet. but take your camera!

they usually always sound better than they really are.
unless the PO has no clue.

rolleyes.gif Andy
balljoint
Make sure to do the bigbutt test. Sometimes a cracked windshield can be a sign of a problem longitudinal.
double-a
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Dec 6 2004, 12:08 PM)
i know, i know, you haven't seen it yet. but take your camera!

they usually always sound better than they really are.
unless the PO has no clue.

rolleyes.gif Andy

i know, the camera will go with me. owner has a boxster.

~a
double-a
got it for $400. pix tomorrow, it's past my bedtime now.

~a
Rhodes71/914
QUOTE(double-a @ Dec 12 2004, 10:24 PM)

~a

Well just leave us hangin' biggrin.gif
aircooledboy
QUOTE(double-a @ Dec 13 2004, 12:24 AM)

~a

A complete low/no rust car for $400? FOUR HUNDRED BUCKS!!!! w00t.gif

I may have to add this to my sig line:

"I hate you guys" lol2.gif

Congrats, you lucky bastard. beerchug.gif Let's see them there pics. monkeydance.gif
double-a
pictures are here.

~a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.