Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is there a way to remove the rear hub without ruining the bearing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shuie
My trailing arms have already been freshly rebuilt with the 4 lug hubs. I have brand new bearings and 0 miles on the current setup. Im really struggling to find the wheels I want for the car and have decided to switch over to 5 lug. If I build a puller is there any chance I can get the 4 lug hubs out without trashing the bearings? I've seen Eric's video on how to install the new hubs, but I cant find any info removing existing rear hubs that doesn't involve slide hammers and/or a lot of pounding.

TIA
draganc
I think you will have to replace the bearings again.
To my knowledge, it's a one time install only.
But, I only have replaced a few and perhaps the expert found a better way.
Eric_Shea
If you can find a way to press the hub slowly out or pull it slowly it "may" work.

Be prepared though. I'd hate to claim success only to have a bearing go bad in a couple thousand miles. When you go to replace it then, the $49.00 each seems very reasonable.

Split ring bearings by nature are a one use item.

It has been done though.
okieflyr
I've removed and re-used new ones successfully and have put hard many hard miles on them with serious play time around the Tail of the Dragon without issue. But as previously stated, at $50.00 ea that is very cheap peace of mind since your taking things apart anyway.
Krieger
Drill it out idea.gif
jcd914
I did this when I switched to 5 lug in the rear with bearings that were only a few months old and using a large slide hammer attached to the hub.
The hub came out without splitting the bearings inner races and after installing the 5 lug hubs I drove the car hard several years.

When I set out to do this I was assuming I would have to replace the bearings, so I did not even try to be easy about it. I figured if the bearings failed after putting the 5 lug hubs in I was really only losing the labor, since I already saved the cost of bearings.

I will admit that at the time I worked for a Porsche shop and the bearings were always sitting of the shelf and I had access to a lift anytime I needed it.So I was not really risking a lot.

Jim
McMark
I have a slide hammer setup that usually works pretty well. If they don't come apart they're probably going to be fine. If they do, time for new ones.

Don't try any of it on a cold day/morning. Or point a space heater at the hub for awhile. It can make a huge difference in success vs. failure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.