Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: 420 SEL issues ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
scotty b
I have an opportunity to get a complete 420 SEL engine pretty cheap. Unknown condition, but I'll probably go look at it this week and find out if it turns over. I've had little experience with them. Are there any common issues that would tell me to leave it alone ? This one is a 1990 if it makes any difference. Considering it for a 114 chassis with a manual trans to make a little German hot rod shades.gif
TheCabinetmaker
What's a 114?
JmuRiz
Bah, you just like the badge options with those numbers... biggrin.gif

I think I've seen M116 engines in a W123, but not in a W114...so it's possible someone with skills could make it fit.

I have a spare euro M110 with a manual trans flywheel that has 185hp, but it's down about 50 lb/ft of torque on that 4.2 v8
PanelBilly
If I remember correctly them have cam sensors that are uncontainable
scotty b
QUOTE(JmuRiz @ Jul 28 2013, 01:43 PM) *

Bah, you just like the badge options with those numbers... biggrin.gif

I think I've seen M116 engines in a W123, but not in a W114...so it's possible someone with skills could make it fit.

I have a spare euro M110 with a manual trans flywheel that has 185hp, but it's down about 50 lb/ft of torque on that 4.2 v8

Well that WAS the plan until this 420 came to light. That probably will still be the plan as I'm sure this engine needs to be gone through. I'm not really concerned about fitment as the early SL and SLR cars ( 107's ) were the same basic platform as the 114, and were offered with the V8 . I doubt they had any more space in the engine bay confused24.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(PanelBilly @ Jul 28 2013, 01:51 PM) *

If I remember correctly them have cam sensors that are uncontainable

confused24.gif No cam sensor I am aware of. they have a crank sensor that is readily available
r_towle
Just gotta say....the last body guy I know that got sucked in by a Mercedes still has the project going....for quite a few years. poke.gif

Go paint the 944.....red
JmuRiz
Yep, I think you can either use or mimic the SL's crossmember for the engine mount specs. Maybe some creative headers and it should work. I think the steering system is the only thing you need to make sure works with the early V8s (all theory and 'stuff I've heard')
scotty b
QUOTE(r_towle @ Jul 28 2013, 03:22 PM) *

Just gotta say....the last body guy I know that got sucked in by a Mercedes still has the project going....for quite a few years. poke.gif

Go paint the 944.....red

dry.gif it's going black mad.gif alfred.gif

someday unsure.gif
mepstein
Another project. Good idea.
scotty b
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 28 2013, 04:13 PM) *

Another project. Good idea.

This one isn't a project. the body needs nothing, the engine needs about a days worth of time. No sir, not a project mellow.gif
Eric_Shea
Another project. Good idea. dry.gif
scotty b
Andy, would you please delete this thread ? dry.gif
Eric_Shea
Stop your whimpering and go paint the 44 like Rich said...

Do as you're told!

mad.gif
r_towle
It's calling for red....it needs to be red....Ferrari red...
zymurgist
Cool sounding engine. Replace the cam oiler towers, timing chain rails and tensioner, and replace the water pump and timing chain while you have the front end apart. The cam oiler towers and timing chain rails are plastic pieces that accumulate heat damage, so replacing them is cheap insurance. The tensioner, chain, and water pump are mechanical pieces that are accessible while you're replacing the plastic parts, so that's also cheap insurance.
Eric_Shea
Put the 944 engine in it... blink.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 29 2013, 05:23 AM) *

Put the 944 engine in it... blink.gif

dry.gif put a sock in it dry.gif
Eric_Shea
sad2.gif

Wow... he's testy when he's not huffing. huh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.