Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914-6 repaint
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ben*james
What are the dos and donts of repainting a 914.6. It is probably a matching numbers car with 40 year old paint. And not original paint or color. I know, that doesn't make a lot of sense but i guess the factory paint job had some problems.

I am guessing bringing back to original color is a must. Irish green, so that I like.
can I add steel flares without taking away from the value?

Is a full strip and media blast the way to go?
Asuuming no complications, what price range am I looking at. Small car smile.gif
rick 918-S
MHO: I do not paint over a repaint ever. High end Factory color will bring the highest return. Price? confused24.gif Sight un-seen? Rust? Hidden body work covering poorly executed repairs?
McMark
If you're serious about an original paint job with all the details, you either need to spends a LOT of time in the Originality forum reading up on the details, and/or you need someone who already knows all of these things to make sure they happen.

Very very very few body shops will give a rats ass about the details beyond laying down paint.

The biggest one and most obvious 914/6 aspect is the black 'tar' around the front shock towers. If you pull the seam sealer out of the trunks for any reason, the six has the sealer brushed in not sprayed.

GT flares generally don't devalue a car if they're done right, but who knows what the future will hold. Perhaps narrow body 914/6s will become more valuable as more people flare their cars.

And finally, a top quality paint job never goes over other paint except in some cases decent condition original paint.
ben*james
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 28 2013, 09:49 PM) *

MHO: I do not paint over a repaint ever. High end Factory color will bring the highest return. Price? confused24.gif Sight un-seen? Rust? Hidden body work covering poorly executed repairs?

Thanks Rick. No painting over a repaint, got it. Makes sense. Kind of what I thought, but not knowing a lot about this area it's nice to get confirmation. Thanks. beerchug.gif
ben*james
QUOTE(McMark @ Jul 28 2013, 09:54 PM) *

If you're serious about an original paint job with all the details, you either need to spends a LOT of time in the Originality forum reading up on the details, and/or you need someone who already knows all of these things to make sure they happen.

Will do, thanks.

Very very very few body shops will give a rats ass about the details beyond laying down paint.

I see that as a big challenge. Even if they knew, could you trust them to take the extra time?

The biggest one and most obvious 914/6 aspect is the black 'tar' around the front shock towers. If you pull the seam sealer out of the trunks for any reason, the six has the sealer brushed in not sprayed.

I'll have to dig into this a little more.

GT flares generally don't devalue a car if they're done right, but who knows what the future will hold. Perhaps narrow body 914/6s will become more valuable as more people flare their cars.

Who knows is right.

And finally, a top quality paint job never goes over other paint except in some cases decent condition original paint.

Got it, I think I've got no doubt on that issue now! Thanks for the input McMark. I appreciate the help. Now....where do I find a good painter in the northwest? bye1.gif

Eric_Shea
I am guessing bringing back to original color is a must.

I would.

IMO... no, not unless you do a very thorough GT build ala Pete's car built by Mark Allen. That said, Andy's build is amazing and I would assume the flares and work performed will not detract from the value so, it probably depends on two things; the level of the restoration/paint job and, the buyer. If you just add flares and squirt it, you will detract from the value.

I would recommend it.

Soda Blast = $700-$1,000

Great Paint Job = $8-10k

Metal work needed = ??? I'd say plan on $5,000 if you don't do flares. The reason they painted it "probably" wasn't because of a problem with the factory paint. A sure bet would be 80's era bodywork and an owner that just wanted a different color. Once you strip it you "will" find metalwork that needs to be done.

rick 918-S
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 29 2013, 09:11 AM) *

I would.

IMO... no, not unless you do a very thorough GT build ala Pete's car built by Mark Allen. That said, Andy's build is amazing and I would assume the flares and work performed will not detract from the value so, it probably depends on two things; the level of the restoration/paint job and, the buyer. If you just add flares and squirt it, you will detract from the value.

I would recommend it.

Soda Blast = $700-$1,000

Great Paint Job = $8-10k

Metal work needed = ??? I'd say plan on $5,000 if you don't do flares. The reason they painted it "probably" wasn't because of a problem with the factory paint. A sure bet would be 80's era bodywork and an owner that just wanted a different color. Once you strip it you "will" find metalwork that needs to be done.

agree.gif Mark and Eric. Look at some of the original 6's on this forum and cars that are full on GT's like Eric's.

When it comes to a 6 spend all the money, do all the research and don't compromise. It take discipline and sacrifice. But in the end you will not regret it.
ben*james
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 29 2013, 07:11 AM) *

I would.

I would recommend it.

Soda Blast = $700-$1,000

Great Paint Job = $8-10k

Thanks Eric. Good information. I am leaning towards the no flares option although damn, I love em. But, I am drawn towards the idea of bringing it back as close to possible to its original state. Half arrsing steel flares would not be a good idea!

I believe this car was painted in the late seventies. Before buying it I will run a refrigerator magnet over the body looking for bondo (full ppi done of course as well). That might pick up something.

type.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(ben*james @ Jul 29 2013, 09:32 AM) *

I would.

I would recommend it.

Soda Blast = $700-$1,000

Great Paint Job = $8-10k

Thanks Eric. Good information. I am leaning towards the no flares option although damn, I love em. But, I am drawn towards the idea of bringing it back as close to possible to its original state. Half arrsing steel flares would not be a good idea!

I believe this car was painted in the late seventies. Before buying it I will run a refrigerator magnet over the body looking for bondo (full ppi done of course as well). That might pick up something.

type.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif
ben*james
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 29 2013, 07:29 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 29 2013, 09:11 AM) *

I would.

I would recommend it.

Soda Blast = $700-$1,000

Great Paint Job = $8-10k

agree.gif Mark and Eric. Look at some of the original 6's on this forum and cars that are full on GT's like Eric's.

When it comes to a 6 spend all the money, do all the research and don't compromise. It take discipline and sacrifice. But in the end you will not regret it.

agree.gif would like to look at some!! Is there a quick link to them or look at build threads?
ben*james
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 29 2013, 07:49 AM) *

QUOTE(ben*james @ Jul 29 2013, 09:32 AM) *

I would.

I would recommend it.

Soda Blast = $700-$1,000

Great Paint Job = $8-10k

type.gif

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

Coming soon but will have to wait until if and when the legalities are complete.
ellisor3
I would absolutely agree that you should go back to bare metal and start from there. I thought my body was perfect under the paint. There were no blemishes or signs of rust, the paint was original. Once the paint was removed, I spent more money on body repairs than I was originally quoted for the paint alone. The $700 to $1000 expense to have it blasted will avoid any surprise's you will find when it is time for paint. Good luck, and keep us posted. There are many great build threads on this site, including the one in my signature. My best advice is don't cut corners, in the long run you will spend more money trying to avoid spending money.
mepstein
Don't blast before talking to your painter. Soda blasting might void the warranty and not all painters like it. Do your homework.
ben*james
QUOTE(ellisor3 @ Jul 29 2013, 01:11 PM) *

I would absolutely agree that you should go back to bare metal and start from there. I thought my body was perfect under the paint. There were no blemishes or signs of rust, the paint was original. Once the paint was removed, I spent more money on body repairs than I was originally quoted for the paint alone. The $700 to $1000 expense to have it blasted will avoid any surprise's you will find when it is time for paint. Good luck, and keep us posted. There are many great build threads on this site, including the one in my signature. My best advice is don't cut corners, in the long run you will spend more money trying to avoid spending money.

Good advice, I'll heed it. No cut corners on this one, I don't care how long it takes me. I'll check out the link to your build, I haven't picked up on that before ohmy.gif headbang.gif

I'll start my own thread as well if this comes together.
Thanks!
ben*james
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 29 2013, 02:46 PM) *

Don't blast before talking to your painter. Soda blasting might void the warranty and not all painters like it. Do your homework.

Yep, thanks. This is probably the single best resource for my homework. Won't stop here but the amount of 914 expertise here can't be matched anywhere in the world...wait, this is the world! beerchug.gif
r_towle
Emory motorsports
McMinnville Oregon.

I would bring a six there with no question about it.

Not cheap, but they will build it right.

Rich
PanelBilly
Just send the car to me and plan to make monthly payment for 10 years or so.
ben*james
Thanks, Emory looks classy and close. No 914's on the site though sad.gif
r_towle
He does them.
Worth the trip and discussion.

Classy stuff they put out and they have a dedicated local following you should get to know.

Rich
ben*james
Thanks Rich
racerbvd
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Jul 28 2013, 09:49 PM) *

This, and I can tell you from personal experience, there will be a few rust spots & mud. For a matching numbers 914-6, it is worth doing right.
ben*james
Thanks Bryan, this seems to be unanimous!
racerbvd
QUOTE(ben*james @ Jul 29 2013, 08:43 PM) *

Thanks Bryan, this seems to be unanimous!

Just remember, take lots & lots of pix.. Documentation is key. Here are some links to mine..

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4...9512&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1...9512&type=3
ben*james
Wow, lots of picks indeed. Inspiring.
Was the finished product shown? Would love to see it. I'll look for your build thread.
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty boy @ Jul 29 2013, 07:04 PM) *

QUOTE(mepstein @ Jul 29 2013, 05:46 PM) *

Warranty WTF.gif which painter has a warranty. Never seen that before confused24.gif

Most paint has a warranty. Most painters will warranty their work. Painting is a system and paint removal must be part of the discussion.
Eric_Shea
My painter told me it was the best decision we made on the project.
carr914
I would agree with what all have said

I have had the following -6s;
Original Tangerine Narrow Body w/ 2.4S Engine put in by Chuck Stoddard for his own pleasure

Click to view attachment

Yellow Narrow Body

Signal Orange 16,000 Miles car that I Flared as the the car was so far gone

Click to view attachment

Silver Former Track car w/ FG Flares (I would have swapped the FG for the Steel Ones that I put on the Signal Orange car if I had bought the Silver Car earlier)

Click to view attachment

Signal Orange w/ Steel Flares that had been painted Black

Click to view attachment

and a Bunch of Conversions!

I love Flared cars, but I would not Flare a -6 unless the Body was already scarred with Rust or Dents. If you were to Flare it, you would need to source a set of Factory Flares not the RePops - you can tell the difference once they installed

Click to view attachment
Cupomeat
IMHO at this time and given the true low numbers of original 914-6 cars, I would do a full and total restoration on the 914-6 and buy another 914-4 to flare and modify to your hearts content.

Given that there is probably less than half of the original 914-6s still in existance, that leaves less than 1700 original cars, which is getting into the Rare category.

Buy it, restore it right and you'll have a pretty rare yet fantastic car that is worth real money.
ben*james
This is the a great source of information, thank you! Really appreciate the comments smile.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jul 30 2013, 09:22 AM) *

My painter told me it was the best decision we made on the project.

How did he score the roof blinker thingy?
Eric_Shea
Second best.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.