Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No power to right side headlight-SOLVED
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
HalfMoon
Hi all,
I just purchased a v-8 converted 914 and inherited a bunch of electrical problems mad.gif
So much for "turn key" and "daily driver" descriptions....
It will be some time before I can get this vehicle to pass our state inspections...
The problems (electrical) so far,

Right side headlight no power
No horn (I don't even see a wire coming up the steering colum)
Wipers not working
Gas gauge not working
Hazard lamps not working
Front turn signals not working (Not even installed)
Back up lights not working

And that's only what I've found under a cursory examination. I'm sure there's lots more. But let us start simply.
There's no power to the right side headlight wire. There is power to the left side headlight and both front running lights.
The rear light array (excepting the backup lights) are working.
And the right side headlight ground seems good...

So, my guess is that there's a line fault on the right side headlight power line and I need to trace the wire for a fault?
Unless someone has some cool idea that I should check instead?
Thoughts?
76-914
Did you check the fuses? R&L have their own fuses.
jimkelly
give us a pic of your fuse box pls
HalfMoon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 29 2013, 06:19 PM) *

Did you check the fuses? R&L have their own fuses.

No? I had no idea they were seperate. But wouldn't that effect the right side taillight?
I'll check and also snap a picture of the fuse box
HalfMoon
QUOTE(jimkelly @ Jul 29 2013, 06:19 PM) *

give us a pic of your fuse box pls

Here's a few pix of the fuse box
76-914
OH crap! Do you have any wiring diagrams. If not, start here. http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm
HalfMoon
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jul 29 2013, 06:44 PM) *

OH crap! Do you have any wiring diagrams. If not, start here. http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914_electrical_diagrams.htm

No diagrams yet (had to order a book from Amazon).
Thanks for the link :-)
jimkelly
maybe of some help
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...74&hl=fuses
HalfMoon
QUOTE(HalfMoon @ Jul 29 2013, 06:08 PM) *

Hi all,
I just purchased a v-8 converted 914 and inherited a bunch of electrical problems mad.gif
So much for "turn key" and "daily driver" descriptions....
It will be some time before I can get this vehicle to pass our state inspections...
The problems (electrical) so far,

Right side headlight no power
No horn (I don't even see a wire coming up the steering colum)
Wipers not working
Gas gauge not working
Hazard lamps not working
Front turn signals not working (Not even installed)
Back up lights not working

And that's only what I've found under a cursory examination. I'm sure there's lots more. But let us start simply.
There's no power to the right side headlight wire. There is power to the left side headlight and both front running lights.
The rear light array (excepting the backup lights) are working.
And the right side headlight ground seems good...

So, my guess is that there's a line fault on the right side headlight power line and I need to trace the wire for a fault?
Unless someone has some cool idea that I should check instead?
Thoughts?

Cool! Headlight problem solved.
Here's what I did/or what happened.
Initial testing the high beam light switch was in the "high" position and fuse two was missing. It took a few minutes of testing and goofing around to discover the low beam sides are always off when the highbeam switch is in the "high" position. Once I made the discovery it was indeed in the "highbeam" position (hmmmm, is there no dashboard indicator for that?) then upon switching into the lowbeam position both left and right side had power. Problem solved. Naturally thie quickly led to the discovery I needed to but a 16 fuse into slot number two to also have power on both left and right sides with the highbeam switched in the "highbeam" position. Clear as mud right? Actually it kinda crystalizes the idea of information and perception. Not knowing what fuse area and what pin at the socket can easily lead us astray. Thanks for the posters who had links which quickly helped solve the problem :-)
Dave_Darling
Find whomever did the "electrical work" to your car, and punch them. HARD.

Get all those wrong fuses out of there--the metal-and-glass ones won't stay in place properly, they don't have pointy ends. Put the correct ceramic fuses in.

Get that stupid radio wire off the fuse holder. There should be an extra spade lug on the back of the fuse panel where that wire would be plugged in.

After you've fixed those, go back to the person who did the wiring and kick them while they're down!

Argh.

--DD
HalfMoon
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jul 29 2013, 08:40 PM) *

Find whomever did the "electrical work" to your car, and punch them. HARD.

Get all those wrong fuses out of there--the metal-and-glass ones won't stay in place properly, they don't have pointy ends. Put the correct ceramic fuses in.

Get that stupid radio wire off the fuse holder. There should be an extra spade lug on the back of the fuse panel where that wire would be plugged in.

After you've fixed those, go back to the person who did the wiring and kick them while they're down!

Argh.

--DD

Actually I'm thinking after I merely get the electrical problems solved and get the car through inspection/on the road, I would undetake the task of re-wiring the entire car. Perhaps a custom loom from painless or American? But I'd like to get it running properly so I can run the car out and find whatever else may be wrong.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.